Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Can someone explain what these are in the engine? PICS

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:06 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can someone explain what these are in the engine? PICS

Sorry for asking a dumb question. for some reason, i'm getting confused even though i know a good amount about cars.

In the pic, what is under number one and what is under number 2?

I think number 2 is the water pump or thermostat or something. I really want to install my nismo thermostat. Also, let's say if i take off both of those covers, i'm guessing there is gaskets? Is this a gasket i can buy from nissan or is it just some RTV silicone or something?

Also, what happens when you take off the timing cover? do you have to drain the oil or somethign like that? I really want to get mine polished but the thought of taking it off scares me because i don't even know if it's a hard task or not.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:15 PM
SuperBlack350z

bump
Old 06-03-2008, 07:32 PM
pmohr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumping after 9 minutes?

Those are the covers for the CVTCs on the cams. No need to take those off.

Your thermostat is on the left side of the engine, you can see it directly beneath the 'number 2' circle you have there. It has that oil cooler line coming from the housing; note, the thermostats for the VQs are sold with the unit itself and the housing, all in one.

To remove the front cover, yes you have to drain the oil. The lower oil pan must come off to remove two bolts (12mm head) that go through the upper oil pan right into the timing cover. After those two, a bunch of 10mm head bolts scattered around the outside edge of the front cover (plus the 12mmx2 at the bottom), and it'll come right off. Takes some prying, especially if it's coming off for the first time.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:37 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by pmohr@Altered
Bumping after 9 minutes?

Those are the covers for the CVTCs on the cams. No need to take those off.

Your thermostat is on the left side of the engine, you can see it directly beneath the 'number 2' circle you have there. It has that oil cooler line coming from the housing; note, the thermostats for the VQs are sold with the unit itself and the housing, all in one.

To remove the front cover, yes you have to drain the oil. The lower oil pan must come off to remove two bolts (12mm head) that go through the upper oil pan right into the timing cover. After those two, a bunch of 10mm head bolts scattered around the outside edge of the front cover (plus the 12mmx2 at the bottom), and it'll come right off. Takes some prying, especially if it's coming off for the first time.
I appreciate the post Pmohr. I just worked a long hard work day and wanted to get this done first thing in the morning before going to work at 12 which is the reason i wanted to bump it up. I'm about to die without sleep.

Thanks for explaining that to me. My nismo thermostat came with a gasket and the whole housing. You are right that it's a whole unit. I just couldn't figure out where it went but now thinking about it, i'm an idiot because you can see where teh coolant hose goes to.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:41 PM
pmohr

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
I appreciate the post Pmohr. I just worked a long hard work day and wanted to get this done first thing in the morning before going to work at 12 which is the reason i wanted to bump it up. I'm about to die without sleep.

Thanks for explaining that to me. My nismo thermostat came with a gasket and the whole housing. You are right that it's a whole unit. I just couldn't figure out where it went but now thinking about it, i'm an idiot because you can see where teh coolant hose goes to.
No problem.

We all have our days...

I imagine that's not a pic of your car? Just wondering, since you mention getting the front cover polished (which it is in that pic), and the EXIF data shows that pic is ~2 years old.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:41 PM
SuperBlack350z

oh btw, Pmohr, i forgot to add that i have two of those pieces i circled in the pics in a custom polished piece. This was one of the reasons why i asked as well. I wanted to switch them out. Would i have to drain the oil while doing this? Also what would i have to use to seal them back up? Thanks.

yeah, that pic isn't mine. That pic is from ZUL8R on this site. I just chose a pic that shows those two pieces clearly.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:45 PM
pmohr

oh btw, Pmohr, i forgot to add that i have two of those pieces i circled in the pics in a custom polished piece. This was one of the reasons why i asked as well. I wanted to switch them out. Would i have to drain the oil while doing this? Also what would i have to use to seal them back up? Thanks.

yeah, that pic isn't mine. That pic is from ZUL8R on this site. I just chose a pic that shows those two pieces clearly.
Don't have to drain the oil, the most you'd see swapping those out is some residue on the back of the cover. IMO, I wouldn't put the polished ones on without getting a polished front cover, but that's just me.

Those two covers (along with most damn things in the VQ) are sealed up with RTV, no actual gasket (as far as I remember offhand). Just make sure you watch the teflon seal, you'll see it on the inside of the cover when (if) you pull it off. They can be a pain in the *** to pull off sometimes, just FYI.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:48 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by pmohr@Altered
Don't have to drain the oil, the most you'd see swapping those out is some residue on the back of the cover. IMO, I wouldn't put the polished ones on without getting a polished front cover, but that's just me.

Those two covers (along with most damn things in the VQ) are sealed up with RTV, no actual gasket (as far as I remember offhand). Just make sure you watch the teflon seal, you'll see it on the inside of the cover when (if) you pull it off. They can be a pain in the *** to pull off sometimes, just FYI.
Thanks, i apprecaite the info. My timing cover is pretty clean which i don't think it will look too bad. Hopefully i can post pics if i'm done. On my pieces right now, i see a brownish looking RTV as well. Thanks again. You answered all of my questions.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:51 PM
pmohr

Thanks, i apprecaite the info. My timing cover is pretty clean which i don't think it will look too bad. Hopefully i can post pics if i'm done. On my pieces right now, i see a brownish looking RTV as well. Thanks again. You answered all of my questions.

That's what I'm here for.

Actually, I'm here because I can't get to sleep, but same difference.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:59 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, that's my old motor. The Tstat is under #2 you can see the fitting sticking out.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
Hey, that's my old motor. The Tstat is under #2 you can see the fitting sticking out.

then that's my new valve cover