Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

7,000 Miles> transmission FAILED

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Black 2tone Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 7,000 Miles> transmission FAILED

I've noticed a slight vibration since I bought my 07 grand touring new. All the dealers said it was normal. As time went on, the clutch seemed like it was rattling apart. After TWO BOSTON nissan dealers (IRA) said there was no problem, I took it back to my NY dealer who immediately diagnosed a Release Bearing problem. They pulled the transmission and 3 hours later called me and told me I'd need a whole new transmission. Some one please reassure me that this is actually a new car. Please. I spoke with them briefly, but they said it was because there was a vibration in the transmission or something.
Thoughts?!?
Should I use this as an opportunity to upgrade anything?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:46 PM
ComBat

Originally Posted by Black 2tone Z
I've noticed a slight vibration since I bought my 07 grand touring new. All the dealers said it was normal. As time went on, the clutch seemed like it was rattling apart. After TWO BOSTON nissan dealers (IRA) said there was no problem, I took it back to my NY dealer who immediately diagnosed a Release Bearing problem. They pulled the transmission and 3 hours later called me and told me I'd need a whole new transmission. Some one please reassure me that this is actually a new car. Please. I spoke with them briefly, but they said it was because there was a vibration in the transmission or something.
Thoughts?!?
Jeez, sorry to hear about your mess. You should tell the dealership to hook you up with a 5AT. Those things are bulletproof.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:54 PM
magna750

Still under warranty?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Ilov350ZEE

he has an 07 /\
Old 06-05-2008, 04:47 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just for the giggles, I think I'd report the other two dealers to Nissan. That "it's normal" is bunk and shouldn't be tolerated.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
Just for the giggles, I think I'd report the other two dealers to Nissan. That "it's normal" is bunk and shouldn't be tolerated.
I got the same crap from Marlborough Nissan, in Boston area as well regarding my occasional gear grinding when cold. They told me to basically go and pound sand. I have to say that I have been pretty disappointed with the Nissan dealers in the area. They all suck when it comes to service and things like this. I always feel treated like I am trying to pull a fast one on them or something. I tried Framingham Nissan for service and they were average. Westborough Nissan was pretty lousy. And what's up with having to prepay for all part orders at IRA and once you walk out with them out the door, there's no return policy? Is this a standard Nissan dealer thing? I have never seen this at Toyota, Subaru and Mercury. What's the deal? Lame.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:35 PM
XxKwestxX

wow, that sucks man.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:31 PM
3fittyBiH

damn, hope your car is under warranty, good luck
Old 06-06-2008, 07:05 AM
06CPV35

Thoughts?!?
Have dealer run your VIN and make sure it doesn't have the old revision 'slave cylinder'.
There's a recall on those within a certain VIN number spread, otherwise they'll have to drop your tranny again to replace that later on down the road if and when you get recall letter.

Wow...thought Nissan worked out all that tranny stuff from earlier years.
Glad you found a competent dealer that diagnosed it correctly and didn't give you lip service.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:27 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to upgrade the clutch and flywheel, this might be a good time to see if the dealer will do it for you while they're working on the car.

Just buy the parts and give it to them- don't let them order anything for you. Labor only.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:25 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ComBat
Jeez, sorry to hear about your mess. You should tell the dealership to hook you up with a 5AT. Those things are bulletproof.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:26 AM
singh

I would report the other two stealerships for being ignorant.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Black 2tone Z

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Have dealer run your VIN and make sure it doesn't have the old revision 'slave cylinder'.
There's a recall on those within a certain VIN number spread, otherwise they'll have to drop your tranny again to replace that later on down the road if and when you get recall letter.

Wow...thought Nissan worked out all that tranny stuff from earlier years.
Glad you found a competent dealer that diagnosed it correctly and didn't give you lip service.
Yeah, I had the recall done at 2000 miles. Nissan just overnighted a new transmission and put it up, but now the check engine is on! Problem # 101. I'll have to run back tomorrow morning. Might be my O2 sensor, as IRA Nissan stripped it doing the recall. (noticed when i put my Borla on).

Quick question, and thanks for all the input - does your car's clutch rattle when its in neutral? and stop when you depress the clutch? I thought that was what they were fixing, but its still there. Did the release bearing go bad that fast in the new transmission?
Old 06-06-2008, 06:01 PM
06CPV35

Yeah, I had the recall done at 2000 miles. Nissan just overnighted a new transmission and put it up, but now the check engine is on! Problem # 101. I'll have to run back tomorrow morning. Might be my O2 sensor, as IRA Nissan stripped it doing the recall. (noticed when i put my Borla on).

Quick question, and thanks for all the input - does your car's clutch rattle when its in neutral? and stop when you depress the clutch? I thought that was what they were fixing, but its still there. Did the release bearing go bad that fast in the new transmission?
Okay..good to hear they did recall...bad to hear your MIL is on.

My clutch has some noise like you describe and none when you disengage clutch. Has since new, but not that bad and hasn't gotten worse ~30K. It's worse when it's cold, but hardly notice once warmed up. I'm still rolling with oem clutch and fly. Your noise almost sounds what an aftermarket clutch/fly is like from what I've read here and on Driver.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Black 2tone Z

Too bad they're still stock in that case! At least its not a major problem then if its common with all Z's.

I'll post an update after I visit the service department AGAIN.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:47 PM
track1z

Its not the throw out bearing,even tho thats what it sounded like. Its a bearing in the transmission.Damn near everyZ has the same problom.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Black 2tone Z

Originally Posted by track1z
Its not the throw out bearing,even tho thats what it sounded like. Its a bearing in the transmission.Damn near everyZ has the same problom.
Can it be fixed/do you know which bearing?? That's crazy.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:41 AM
Fairlady.4u2nv

i have the same sound in neutral w/ an 04 w/ 20k on it. but after reading around, I found out it was normal. That sucks about the other two dealers, have you reported them yet? A local Mazda dealer by us tried doing that to my mom's Millenia S when her sensor went bad, and tried telling her she wasn't under warranty. We payed 4 times for that problem and they never fixed it, so we called Mazda and complained and got it fixed . Maybe you should just call Nissan
Old 06-12-2008, 06:38 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ComBat
As long as you're not making any power!
Old 06-13-2008, 08:42 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Bottomline: Get a "Z" with an AT. Flawless! NO PROBLEMO, ever!!!

Quick Reply: 7,000 Miles> transmission FAILED