Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Would you use Quaker State oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:56 PM
mtrchik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you use Quaker State oil?

So when I purchased my car, the place where I bought it replaces the engine if anything ever goes wrong with it (well all the lubricated parts are covered). But that is only if I use Quaker State oil. I have always used Mobile One synthetic in all my other vehicles. Has anyone ever used this in there Z?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:15 PM
2boosted4u

...i doubt they will go the lengths to make sure your using the right oil...its very hard to tell
Old 07-09-2008, 07:00 PM
turismo

yes
Old 07-09-2008, 07:04 PM
2fast4comfort

i dont think they can even do that, im sure if they were allowed to force you to use the kind of oil they wanted to warranty an engine the manufacturers would all pick one a get a huge check from said oil company. if you figure oil change every 3k for 100k at 5 quarts a change and $3 a quart that's close to $500 im sure the oil company wouldnt mind throwing in $50 a car to make people use thier brand
Old 07-09-2008, 09:58 PM
R-TuneZ

did they specify what type of quaker state oil and whether they have to perform the oil changes themselves? im not familiar with their product line-up. if that oil contains detergents, i have read more than once that detergents are detrimental to the life span of the VQ engine. i personally use mobil one but i am about to start trying other brands, such as royal purple and motul.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:10 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R-TuneZ
if that oil contains detergents, i have read more than once that detergents are detrimental to the life span of the VQ engine.

You might want to find new reading material.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:19 PM
R-TuneZ

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar

You might want to find new reading material.
how do you mean? i admit i have absolutely no collaborating evidence but i remember there being some sort of proof or link on the thread, though i really dont care enough to source it. either way i am just adding my 2 cents. i would not use oil with detergents in my engine.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would not use oil with detergents in my engine.
Yes you do.

Will
Old 07-09-2008, 11:53 PM
sk26dett

Originally Posted by Resolute
Yes you do.

Will

and he knows his oils.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:56 AM
Z04

how do you mean? i admit i have absolutely no collaborating evidence but i remember there being some sort of proof or link on the thread, though i really dont care enough to source it. either way i am just adding my 2 cents. i would not use oil with detergents in my engine.

yet you put a fake, synthetic oil into it instead

but back on topic. as long as the oil level is correct and you are using the proper grade oils, i see no problem with making a personal choice of synthetic or regular oil. just depends on what you are willing to spend for something that pretty much does the same thing
Old 07-10-2008, 04:45 AM
WhiskeyHotel

Interesting. My dealer uses QS to service my Z, but he's never told me my warranty would be void if I didn't. I've had no problem with the oil.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:14 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i admit i have absolutely no collaborating evidence.
then you should not be posting about things you don't understand (I don't mean this in a rude way, so don't take it as such)
Old 07-10-2008, 05:23 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kinda funny how people like to point out mis-information yet, nobody takes a second to try to correct it.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:30 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by teh215
Kinda funny how people like to point out mis-information yet, nobody takes a second to try to correct it.
several people already corrected it
Old 07-10-2008, 05:54 AM
singh

Originally Posted by Resolute
Yes you do.

Will
+1
Old 07-10-2008, 08:36 AM
SpoilsofWar

lol... Just try finding an oil without any detergent additives.

check that, I do have some, but its 30W air compressor oil
Old 07-10-2008, 09:31 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
lol... Just try finding an oil without any detergent additives.

check that, I do have some, but its 30W air compressor oil
Carquest usually carries 30ND that some people still swear by for motor break -in.

As far as Quaker Bake goes, i don't know or care if its good oil now. It used to be, or may still be a paraffin based and was the best way to turn you engine into a giant candle. Same with Penzoil
Old 07-10-2008, 12:15 PM
mtrchik

Well I bought my car at Car Sense in Hatfield, PA. When I purchased it they had me sign an agreement that if I used anything other than QS my engine warrenty would be voided. And the warrenty is as long as I own the Z! They told me I could change the oil myself, because my family owns a body shop and they said as long as I have receipts of buying Quaker State my warrenty is still good.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by teh215
Sometimes just pointing out an inaccuracy incites people to do their own research. Sometimes there is just too much mis-information or ambiguity in the response to bother with a comprehensive correction. Take these comments for example:

if that oil contains detergents, i have read more than once that detergents are detrimental to the life span of the VQ engine.
Originally Posted by Z04
yet you put a fake, synthetic oil into it instead
Originally Posted by terrasmak
It used to be, or may still be a paraffin based and was the best way to turn you engine into a giant candle. Same with Penzoil
I could probably sum up what each of these people were trying to convey, or at least what they have read online or heard somewhere, in a more accurate assessment. There is a hint of truth behind each of these statements, but there is a loss of context and accuracy in their dissemination, which has resulted in a gross mis-understanding of the topics. Even better, rather than taking my word for it, I could quote several SAE papers or links to technical and white papers that would expand on the benefits, applications, and dual nature of detergents; the fallacy of the internet-spread rumors to Mobil1's lack of true synthetic base stocks; and the process of hydroisomerization of paraffinic oil and the benefits that their high molecular weight properties currently play in even some advanced synthetic oils.

It's all really outside the scope of the OP's question, and not really that important given his predicament. There is a number of ways the OP can research the answer to his question- the owner's manual being a great place to start. The fact is, OP, if you have to use a QS oil for warranty purposes, then so be it. Nissan specs any API certified oil within proper grade. QS has many oils that qualify. If you want my opinion, I would use their Q Horsepower 5W-30. It's damn near the same as the older PP 5W-30, and uses Shell's XHVI base oil with a decent additive pack. Check the Oil Analysis and Data sticky in this forum for a further explanation on oil basics.

Will
Old 07-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Master Shake

I don't use QS because of their customer service / marketing. A few years back, they had a mail in rebate program of $10 cash back for buying 5 qts. Six weeks later, they sent me a coupon for $10 off my next oil change at Jiffey Lube (of all places)! I called their customer service to complain about this and was told, "Sorry, we changed the our mind. Take it or leave it!"

Quick Reply: Would you use Quaker State oil?