Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Would you use Quaker State oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:00 PM
ZTEALTH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ALWAYS run mobile1 in my cars. never had problems. every oil change at 3000miles and the oil is still gold.......ish.

but, just change your oil at normal intervals and you will be fine, don't wait till it's burnt, dirty and black. you can't go by what race cars use, most of the time they are given oil in contingency by the companies, and they rebuild the motors after every race anyways.
when i worked at cunningham racing back in 93', clayton made us put used oil in steve millen and johnny o'connel's cars because it was cheaper. we won at daytona. but, the motor was also junked after that race.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:47 PM
R-TuneZ

Originally Posted by Resolute
Yes you do.

Will
crap! ok i did some research and it seems that you are right, though i was sure that mobil 1 did not contain detergents.

anyway, it seems that i made a wealth of people upset because i was not able to cite my sources... SORRY!... but instead of just flaming me and telling me how VERY wrong i am, why dont you provide some sources so we can all become a little more informed on the topic.

but if you all noticed, i clearly stated that i had no collaborating evidence for my facts, and therefore they should not be taken at face value. i was just trying to help this guy out.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:31 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:47 PM
R-TuneZ

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.
+1, absolutely true. i have been a tech for about 3 years now and though i may not know EVERYTHING about EVERY aspect of motor vehicles, i have a very sound basis of what is the automotive world. it just seems silly to me that a bunch of boy racers, merely stating their opinion without supporting their facts, are bashing on me instead of providing some source for their information. i mean after all, i am hear to learn and help others with the knowledge i do have... (not to put down other people's misconceptions without corroborating evidence ).
Old 07-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by R-TuneZ
anyway, it seems that i made a wealth of people upset because i was not able to cite my sources... SORRY!... but instead of just flaming me and telling me how VERY wrong i am, why dont you provide some sources so we can all become a little more informed on the topic.
You didn't upset anyone. Much less a wealth of people. And you certainly weren't flamed by any means.

You simply made a false statement, and people called you on it. This apparently motivated you to do some research and learn a little more about detergents and engine oil. So what's the problem?

but if you all noticed, i clearly stated that i had no collaborating evidence for my facts, and therefore they should not be taken at face value. i was just trying to help this guy out.
OK. I'm sure he's grateful. He might have been a little more grateful had you been right. But you weren't. However, you researched on your own and learned a little more, and the OP isn't out there thinking he needs to find a bottle of Quaker State that doesn't use detergents. Sounds like everything's fine, only maybe you took it personally for some reason?

+1, absolutely true. i have been a tech for about 3 years now and though i may not know EVERYTHING about EVERY aspect of motor vehicles, i have a very sound basis of what is the automotive world. it just seems silly to me that a bunch of boy racers, merely stating their opinion without supporting their facts, are bashing on me instead of providing some source for their information. i mean after all, i am hear to learn and help others with the knowledge i do have... (not to put down other people's misconceptions without corroborating evidence ).
Again, nobody was bashing on you. A few people called your erroneous statement what it was, and you apparently took it personally, which explains you resorting to name calling. I'm not sure why you think a bunch of "boy racers" were bashing on you, but anything anyone posts on the internet cannot be taken for truth, and should be questioned. There exists as much a right to call you wrong without citing sources, as you had in posting wrong information without sources. If it upsets you that you had to do your own research to find the truth about engine oil detergents based on what others posted, because they didn't do the legwork of posting credible sources for you, then you only look like a hypocrite. If you really are here to learn, then by all means take the suggestion I gave the original poster:

"Check the Oil Analysis and Data sticky in this forum for a further explanation on oil basics."

There are sources in that thread, for everything I discussed here (and then some) so you don't have to take my word for anything. Welcome to the forums,

Will
Old 07-10-2008, 07:39 PM
R-TuneZ

Originally Posted by Resolute
You didn't upset anyone. Much less a wealth of people. And you certainly weren't flamed by any means.

You simply made a false statement, and people called you on it. This apparently motivated you to do some research and learn a little more about detergents and engine oil. So what's the problem?

OK. I'm sure he's grateful. He might have been a little more grateful had you been right. But you weren't. However, you researched on your own and learned a little more, and the OP isn't out there thinking he needs to find a bottle of Quaker State that doesn't use detergents. Sounds like everything's fine, only maybe you took it personally for some reason?

Again, nobody was bashing on you. A few people called your erroneous statement what it was, and you apparently took it personally, which explains you resorting to name calling. I'm not sure why you think a bunch of "boy racers" were bashing on you, but anything anyone posts on the internet cannot be taken for truth, and should be questioned. There exists as much a right to call you wrong without citing sources, as you had in posting wrong information without sources. If it upsets you that you had to do your own research to find the truth about engine oil detergents based on what others posted, because they didn't do the legwork of posting credible sources for you, then you only look like a hypocrite. If you really are here to learn, then by all means take the suggestion I gave the original poster:

"Check the Oil Analysis and Data sticky in this forum for a further explanation on oil basics."

There are sources in that thread, for everything I discussed here (and then some) so you don't have to take my word for anything. Welcome to the forums,

Will
i might have taken it personally, i have had a rather rough day, bad mood and so forth. however a few posts were just ignorant... just stating that i was wrong without providing any further input... i find that really annoying.

regardless i accept your criticism, and i will be more careful when giving others advice. i should have def researched the topic before i said anything.

cheers will.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:46 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mtrchik
So when I purchased my car, the place where I bought it replaces the engine if anything ever goes wrong with it (well all the lubricated parts are covered). But that is only if I use Quaker State oil.
Please scan and post your contract. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:04 PM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Thumbs down

Any oil bottle with the SAE/API seal on it is fine. I'm not sure, but they shouldn't be allowed to demand a specific brand of oil in order to keep a warranty.

Last edited by j.arnaldo; 07-11-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:08 PM
mtrchik

Originally Posted by davidv
Please scan and post your contract. Thanks.
I don't have the warrenty w/ me right now, but tomorrow I will post a pic (i don't have a scanner!)
Old 03-23-2009, 12:44 PM
theKoosh

bump, thought i'd bring this back... i also bought my car from CarSense. i think everyone kinda misconstrued what the OP was explaining here... the warranty CarSense offers along with QS is that if you use their motor oil every 4k, they'll warranty your engine for the life of the car if it fails due to starvation issues. it's included in the purchase of every car for free, and does NOT affect or replace the OEM nissan warranty, so you can use whatever the hell you want and turn it down entirely if you so desire.

i've always used M1 and castrol, so i'm kinda debating whether or not to switch to QS just for this. from what it seems the HR has bigger issues with the transmission rather than oil consumption...