Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 06:24 AM
andrewc_31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems

I have a 2006 Touring model, purchased the car in March 2006. The transmission had problems and was replaced at the 11,809 mark. Now the 2nd transmission is going out, and I'm only at 19,300. I have initially talked to the service manager about it being replaced again, and he thinks that once it is replaced, then Nissan declares the problem solved and therefore cannot get another new transmission. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Another note, I have not taken it to a track yet and have not raced down a 1/4 mile as of yet. I also do not drive the car everyday. Maybe once or twice a week.

I recently had Motul Transmission oil put in about 3 weeks ago, the mechanic says that the oil might have caused the problem. But I have used Motul in the transmission before and had not had any problems.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:38 AM
Thermal1

Motul is good stuff - assuming your mechanic did not do something stupid and put motul motor oil in there or something, that is not the problem.

That BS about declaring the problem solved is just that, BS. Dont take that ****, they obviously did something wrong, so make them pay. Either the transmission they gave you was defective, or they did not install it right.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:43 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

what going on with the tranny???
Old 07-16-2008, 06:55 AM
andrewc_31

Originally Posted by Apothyosis
Motul is good stuff - assuming your mechanic did not do something stupid and put motul motor oil in there or something, that is not the problem.

That BS about declaring the problem solved is just that, BS. Dont take that ****, they obviously did something wrong, so make them pay. Either the transmission they gave you was defective, or they did not install it right.

I had Motul Gear 300 - 75W90 Performance Gear Oil installed about 3 weeks ago. I had the same Motul installed at around the 13,000 mark, it was recommended to me to change the Motul every 6,000 miles. So I took the car in and had my 3.5 swaped out with the 4.08 gear, had the LSD Motul oil removed and new Motul installed, and had the old Motul oil in the tranny taken out and replaced by Motul again. Now I'm having transmission problems.

The car sounds like shitt around 2,000-3,000 RPM mark, all kinds of noises and 4th gear you can really hear it, even going down the interstate at 70-80 mph
Old 07-16-2008, 07:21 PM
R-TuneZ

what kind of noises? and are they present while cruising, or only under load/wot?

oh and your vehicle warranty clearly warrants your vehicle against manufacturers defect. if you are abusing your trans (spinning your tires, doing donuts, etc...) than do not be surprised that this is occurring. otherwise, it is the dealers responsibility to take care of these issues. just be aware, if they tear down your trans again and find a torn up clutch/flywheel after only 20k miles, they will likely decline you warranty service and you will be stuck with a rather large bill.

Last edited by R-TuneZ; 07-16-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:48 AM
andrewc_31

Originally Posted by R-TuneZ
what kind of noises? and are they present while cruising, or only under load/wot?

oh and your vehicle warranty clearly warrants your vehicle against manufacturers defect. if you are abusing your trans (spinning your tires, doing donuts, etc...) than do not be surprised that this is occurring. otherwise, it is the dealers responsibility to take care of these issues. just be aware, if they tear down your trans again and find a torn up clutch/flywheel after only 20k miles, they will likely decline you warranty service and you will be stuck with a rather large bill.

It has alot of noises, basically really sounds bad, and it is loud, you can really hear it well after the car gets going in the mornings, it sounds so bad it is embarassing. I cannot describe the noises, just sounds like things loose. You can hear it in every gear, most noticeable in 4th, and alot noises when the RPM's are between 2,000 - 3,000

I have not abused the tranny, i drive hard/fast sometimes, well because it is so much fun. I have alot of mods, mostly Nismo, I do have the Nismo pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel, along with the Nismo short shifter kit.

The car was running like a champ until I had the Motul oil changed. Now the tranny sounds like shitt.

The car is at the dealership since yesterday, filing paperwork to get another tranny approved. I am hoping it works out, since I have alot of mods. I do not know if I will use Motul in the tranny again.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Thermal1

Are you sure whoever did your transmission flush actually put fluid back in? worth checking
Old 07-17-2008, 11:48 AM
kmg3773

I actually dropped my car off to nissan yesterday morning. I had my first transmission replaced at around 10000 miles b/c of it grinding going into 3rd. They said the syncros were bad so they changed the whole thing out.

Now at 32,xxx miles my car is grinding going into 6th. Its almost doing the same exact thing that it did the first time. Nissan called me and said that since i didnt have my 30000 mile enging check up they dont know if they are going to honor my warranty which is bullsh*t..

I am not stopping until they fix the problem..
Old 07-17-2008, 02:22 PM
R-TuneZ

well you are saying two different things...

you are saying that you have used the motul trans oil before without problem... but you did have a problem and you had to replace the trans (the first time). now after replacing the fluid you are having problems again.

my understanding that the Z trans requires specific fluid in order to prevent damage to the syncro mesh. GL5 fluid will damage the syncros in our trans; GL4 fluid is what is required for proper operation. can someone confirm this?

alternatively, if you have ground your gears, it is possible that you have debris from the teeth flowing through your trans and causing these noises.

has anyone else used this trans fluid?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:33 AM
FAIRLADYZ_MANnE

lol they cannot sell you a car that is meant to be driven hard. Pish Posh my friend
350z arent sold to grandmas lol
they should respect the fact that it will floored. sh*t the guy who was trying to sell an HR to my friend, raced me in the back lol you cant say that they can get away with squeazing an Sh/88ty little excrept which were supose to see in the warretee book
i can see why they wouldn't replace clutch and flywheel because they dont break n/a
however, the trans = fail. that is sad that they could make a product that falls apart so easy

my tranny lasted 20xxx miles. i drove it like i stole it. lol
my other friends last 10xxxmiles and he drives like a grandma, no offense.

on the other hand my second gear failed me, his 5th just grinds.

Last edited by FAIRLADYZ_MANnE; 07-18-2008 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:40 AM
andrewc_31

Originally Posted by R-TuneZ
well you are saying two different things...

you are saying that you have used the motul trans oil before without problem... but you did have a problem and you had to replace the trans (the first time). now after replacing the fluid you are having problems again.

my understanding that the Z trans requires specific fluid in order to prevent damage to the syncro mesh. GL5 fluid will damage the syncros in our trans; GL4 fluid is what is required for proper operation. can someone confirm this?

alternatively, if you have ground your gears, it is possible that you have debris from the teeth flowing through your trans and causing these noises.

has anyone else used this trans fluid?
I had my tranny replaced at 11,800 mark and that was using the normal nissan tranny oil you get at the dealership.

I began using Motul in the LSD to reduce the chatter from my Nismo LSD which basically took the Nismo LSD chatter completely away, no noises at all.

I was so impressed by the Motul in my LSD that I decided to use the Motul tranny oil for the transmission to better protect it from hard driving. I used Motul in my tranny from about the 13,000 mile mark to my current mileage of 19,000.

It was recommended that I change the Motul every 6,000 miles, so I went to the dealership and had the oil changed in the LSD and the tranny with Motul again and had my final drive gears swaped out with the 4.08

Well after you install new componenets, I usually will turn the music off and listen to the car, that is when I began hearing the noises. First thought it was a crack in the cats, replaced the Crawford cats with Ultimate Racing cats and the noise is still there. The dealership said that it might be the tranny or my engine. They checked my oil and I was about 1.5 quarts low, so they drained the rest of my engine oil and did a complete oil change. I also have a larger engine oil pan that hold 1.25 quarts more oil than the stock pan. I still think the noise is from my tranny, the dealership thinks it is the engine, which if it is I cannot get a replacement because I have JWT Cams and springs in there that I cannot get out if they replace the engine since most 2006 Z have oil consumption problems.

I talked to Adam at Z1 Performance and the guys here in Arizona at Intense Motorsports about my chatter, they said it was normal chatter from Nismo flywheel, clutch, pressure plate setup. So at this point I guess the car is fine, but I do not know how other people's Z's sound with a light flywheel, is it as loud as mine or lower. Not sure what to think about it.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:03 AM
FAIRLADYZ_MANnE

i hope these motors last into the 200k lol
Old 09-07-2008, 12:42 PM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does this also sound like a tranny problem. Today at autocross, I can't get back into first. When I am heel/toe shifting from second to first and won't engaged. It seems like when I am shifting fast it just won't engage.