Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My clutch install went bad, help me Diagnose.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 06:41 PM
NA350zJimmy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jes-Z
I should be going to the dealership this friday. If second time around the noise still persists I'll go for another flywheel. I've been super busy with surgeries this week so I haven't had a chance to make it over to the dealer.

http://www.leeparts.com/nissan_350z/...flywheel.html?
Call and Talk to Brian He will take car of you super fast shipping
Old 07-31-2008, 08:25 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kramykram
Don't spend the time to have the tranny pulled again. im speaking from experience. It's the flywheel. This is the first time I have ever had a problem like this. I hate for you to go thru what I have. Even the other guys at the shop were lost to what was making the noise. They have over 180 years combined experience. But it finally came down the the flywheel. So please order a differnt flywheel.
I'm pretty curious what part of the flywheel failed? I don't see how you can get a faulty flywheel.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:35 PM
gregom

Is the NISMO flywheel dual-mass or is it a single piece? Reason I ask is it is a lot cheaper than the standard Z flywheel.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:57 PM
kramykram

It is a single peice flywheel.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:00 AM
kramykram

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
I'm pretty curious what part of the flywheel failed? I don't see how you can get a faulty flywheel.

Well somehow it happened. As I have said if you search the forums this is not the first time this has happened with jwt. It has been a problem, a few times. I changed out every single part, except the flywheel. Now I changed the flywheel and the noise is gone. The shop I work at and the other guys there couldn't see a thing wrong to the naked eye. But one thing we did notice, since I swapped the stock clutch disk and pressure plate back in. The new disk and old disk had extreme wear in the same exact spots. So I have no clue but im glad the problem is fixed. Now to get the money back for the jwt flywheel or an exchange.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Jes-Z

of course, the mechanic was too busy to take care of my car today. I have to do it this coming week. Another weekend with out my car.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:46 PM
SC 350Z

Originally Posted by kramykram
. The shop I work at and the other guys there couldn't see a thing wrong to the naked eye. But one thing we did notice, since I swapped the stock clutch disk and pressure plate back in. The new disk and old disk had extreme wear in the same exact spots. .
Ive done many of clutchs on every car imaginable every time its usually this , flywheel warrped causing unusal wear, flywheel was cut inproperly,pressure plate not tourqed correctly also causing the plressure plate to disperse uneven pressure on the disc and flywheel. To really diagnose clutch or flywheel failer you need to have it on a granit table with a height indicator and run it across the flywheel and you will see it then something the eye can not catch, hell i have even had flywheels resurfaced and stupied me not checking them installing them on the car and burning up a brand new clutch because it was not resurfaced right. OP the noise and syptoms you are having are either pressure plate tourqed uncorrectly, flywheel warrped, or the flywheel is just junk like stated above.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Jes-Z

Originally Posted by SC 350Z
Ive done many of clutchs on every car imaginable every time its usually this , flywheel warrped causing unusal wear, flywheel was cut inproperly,pressure plate not tourqed correctly also causing the plressure plate to disperse uneven pressure on the disc and flywheel. To really diagnose clutch or flywheel failer you need to have it on a granit table with a height indicator and run it across the flywheel and you will see it then something the eye can not catch, hell i have even had flywheels resurfaced and stupied me not checking them installing them on the car and burning up a brand new clutch because it was not resurfaced right. OP the noise and syptoms you are having are either pressure plate tourqed uncorrectly, flywheel warrped, or the flywheel is just junk like stated above.
Ok well this week I plan on getting the issued resolved. Would it be wise to buy a whole new setup and return what is defective. I have put less than 15 miles with the new clutch.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:45 PM
NA350zJimmy

Just Keep the Clutch and go with a different flywheel
Old 08-05-2008, 04:22 PM
kramykram

yes just get a differnt flywheel. i had clutch masters but the nismo single peice is very well also. i think jimmy likes his nismo a lot better than that noise his jwt was making.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Jes-Z

Ok, fellas. I'm taking the car into the shop tomorrow and hopefully we get the problem resolved. I have an extra pressure plate and I have a new flywheel on standby just in case.

About the flywheel, do you guys recommend the ACT Streetlite flywheel? I thinking of using that as a back up instead of the Nismo. The price is almost $150 less for the ACT.

Hopefully, my flywheel is fine and everything goes in smoothly.

Wish me luck.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:08 PM
kramykram

good luck, act flywheel is ok also have not read of any problems with any single peice flywheels at all. your luck is like ours though it just happened to be a bad flywheel. it has been sent back to concept z and then he is sending to jwt for inspection.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:28 PM
htle83

Originally Posted by Jes-Z
Ok, fellas. I'm taking the car into the shop tomorrow and hopefully we get the problem resolved. I have an extra pressure plate and I have a new flywheel on standby just in case.

About the flywheel, do you guys recommend the ACT Streetlite flywheel? I thinking of using that as a back up instead of the Nismo. The price is almost $150 less for the ACT.

Hopefully, my flywheel is fine and everything goes in smoothly.

Wish me luck.
Did you ever find an answer to this?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Jes-Z

Originally Posted by htle83
Did you ever find an answer to this?

Thanks
I'm waiting for a refund for the pressure plate. Then I'll buy the flywheel. Then I'll have it installed.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Jes-Z

Ok, finally bought the new flywheel and had them switch it out. During the install, they noticed the pilot bushing was installed incorrectly. I had to buy a new one but everything is ok. I didn't have to change out the flywheel, but I said **** it and did it anyway. If anyone is intrested in a JWT flywheel with less than 300 Miles. I'm going to put it for sale. Thank god my car is back to normal.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:28 PM
madpanda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thread revival
The same thing happened to me this week, would just like to note that my JWT flywheel is junk, and caused extensive damage to my tranny and crankshaft as well.
My repair costs will be over 1 G.
This is a warning for those going JWT. Go with another brand flywheel.
I will be going back to stock, due to cost restraints.

I will also be posting a thread of my own if I am able to attain pics while my Z is still on the rack.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:16 AM
pangoman

Originally Posted by madpanda
Thread revival
The same thing happened to me this week, would just like to note that my JWT flywheel is junk, and caused extensive damage to my tranny and crankshaft as well.
My repair costs will be over 1 G.
This is a warning for those going JWT. Go with another brand flywheel.
I will be going back to stock, due to cost restraints.

I will also be posting a thread of my own if I am able to attain pics while my Z is still on the rack.
How exactly does it cause damage to your car?
Old 05-25-2009, 09:30 AM
madpanda

^My tranny is damaged, my mechanic has yet to take it apart, but he thinks the bearing went bad, and two of the flywheel bolts broke off in the crankshaft.
My mechanic is still diagnosing the Z, which is why I will make a thread when I gather all pertinent information.

Update: Disregard all previous posts. JWT flywheel is still a quality product.
After further diagnosis the problem has been diagnosed as dealer installation error made by Cerritos Nissan. Complaints to the dealer, and corporate have been made. Will be notifying the CA BAR as well.

A thread regarding my issues will be made in the appropriate SoCal section.

Last edited by madpanda; 05-28-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Changvi

I've had my JWT flywheel for over 1.5 years with no issues or what so ever. I'm not sure whether it was the bad batch the OP had?? It drives beautifully with my Nismo clutch....