Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Short Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:54 AM
keptman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by keptman; 07-02-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by keptman
What he said, can't we all just get along.
When doing a search on this topic all I found were smart alic answers to a legitimate question. No one seems to answer directly for what is asked and then the community gets all pissy about it. Get over it and don't respond it's like TV change the channel there's bound to be something else on.

Z1performance you didn't answer the first question given to you by Hellsoldiers08 when he asked "Well the stillen compared to the nismo. What would be your opion?" your response "both are excellent choices imho". Both are excellent choices doesn't answer the question. the answer should of been, Do you want a shorter shifter or a shorter shifting point? Because they both do different things.

My question since we know your satisfied with the Stillen and you sell them.
How does the Stillen feel when driving?
Have you noticed a signifacent change when driving?

Does anyone else also have a Stillen, Nismo,or B&M, installed and what is your opinion?
actually if you took the time to read my descriptions of each, they BOTH reduce the shifter length, as well as reduce the shifter throw. I don't have an opinion as to which is better between the 2. I've used both, and both worked as advertised, hence why I said both were good choices. I've already said I was happy with my choice, not sure what else I can tell you about it
Old 08-02-2008, 04:54 PM
keptman

Last edited by keptman; 07-02-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

They both absolutely reduce the length, as I have already described, and as you just pointed out. You don't "sorta" adjust length - you either do, or you don't, and both the NISMO and the Stillen do. A shorter lever is a shorter lever...it makes no difference if the lever is shorter at the top, or the bottom, both are still shorter than stock. I've already further described the differences elsewhere in this post, in that the Stillen is a fixed adjustment, and the NISMO is adjustable. I can't tell you which you will like bette, nor do I even remember which I like better at this point. I'd be happy with either one in my own car.

I have no idea what you are expecting me to say. How does it feel while driving? It feels shorter, is really the best description I can give. Other than the reduced throw vs stock, which is definitely noticeable, it feels perfectly fine, and requires no more effort than a stock unit does. If it made noise, or required me to muscle it into gear, then I wouldn't have it in my car. I don't personally find the stock shifter to even have a long throw in the first place. I simply tried it to tried it, and was happy enough with it to keep it installed. You obviously have not been on this board long enough to know me, so I will say this: If it didn't work as advertised, or if I wasn't pleased with it, it would not be in my car, plain and simple. I don't arbitrarily toss mods at my car in some marketing excersice,a s frankly the vast majority of what is on my car are not parts that I'd ever expect any significant number of customers to buy. I built my car for me, plain and simple, not for what I could sell as a result of my build. If I try something and I don't like it, it doesn't stay in my car, and furthermore, we would certainly never sell it. This is not me marketing anything. 've used the Stillen on my own car, and have driven a few Z's with the NISMO, albeit at 2 totally different times. Both are quality pieces that are direct drop in replacements for stock, have no noise. If you are looking for a more in depth description, I guess you'll have to try to find someone locally to you who has one and try it yourself.

As for the shifter on ebay, it's all a copy, of a copy, of a copy, and as I've said in previous threads, I tried that one myself too, as the manufacturer approached us about doing a private label deal on it. It rattled, no matter what I did, so I politely sent it back and chose not to offer it
Old 08-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Hoooper

The Nismo is adjustable to lengthen or shorten the handle which may give the feel of having a shorter through but not qwight.
shortening rod height reduces throw, basic physics. its not just a feeling
Old 08-03-2008, 11:28 PM
hellsoldiers08

well z1 all i can say is wow on the n/a build. You clearly no what your doing and the best of luck on things to come. I shall never doubt any ofr your words on parts again
Old 08-04-2008, 04:05 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hellsoldiers08
well z1 all i can say is wow on the n/a build. You clearly no what your doing and the best of luck on things to come. I shall never doubt any ofr your words on parts again
Thanks, but believe me, I learn stuff here on this site everyday. When I got the Z back in 03, I knew nothing about it, and all these years later, I've learned a few things. The site is filled with some smart people, you just have to use a little leg work to track down the info you need. Good luck on your car!
Old 08-04-2008, 04:12 PM
keptman

Last edited by keptman; 07-02-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Hoooper

Care to measure each line and tell me which one is longer?

i guess this time youre the a$$hole who hasnt a clue what theyre talking about. its bad when a simple microsoft paint image clearly shows how wrong you are
Old 08-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Basic physics must of failed that one one or slept through that day.
When changing the height it's like use a pry bar. If you use a short one more force is needed to be exerted to move object. If you use a long one less is needed to move object. To actually change the throw the angle of movement has to be changed at the point of force.
Simple physics Huh.

I don't know whats funnier the Pendejo who knows nothing or the Pendejo that that just wants to sell somthing that thinks he knows something.

I've always been considered an a**hole for about as long as I can remember. That's just my style”. - Gene Hackman as Royal Tenenbaum ...
how about we leave the name calling out of it - did anyone call you a name? Didn't think so.

Do you have either shifter? If not, then how about not making presumptions about things you are not well versed in. Both shifters reduce the throw, and shorten the length of the lever itself as well. You can believe me, not believe me, I could care less either way.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:25 AM
R-TuneZ

repeat of my previous post... sorry to be redundant.

back to the subject at hand... on the nismo short shifter; i understand that it is adjustable and allegedly while driving but my question is... does this feature ever become a problem? i dont understand how its adjustable but is it possible that it "pops out" of its intended position while driving?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

it takes 2 hands to adjust it - its basically an adjustable sleeve that slides up and down, but when not compressed, it locks in place.