Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch problems... new to cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Mkriebs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problems... new to cars

So, I am a recovering motorcycle addict, and got myself the Z for a replacement. Its been a while since i have done any work to a car, so I am unfamiliar with car clutches... and I need help.

Last night I was driving, and went to shift, and my clutch pedal stuck halfway in. What could do this? I checked the fluid, but is there anything else to check? I went to talk to the service manager at the dealership in town, and he said it is likely my clutch. But, my clutch doesn't slip or anything. The pedal stuck down about 4-5 times last night.

Does anyone have ANY ideas... I refuse to think its the clutch itself. I really, REALLY don't think so, but of course, I could be wrong.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:46 AM
nismogizmo

Default uh huh

My 07 Nismo is going on 10 months old. 5k miles when I had to fork out 2 grand for a new clutch and flywheel cuz the sticking problem ended up in no clutch. They did not fix the problem in 3 attempts and had to have it towed for the fourth. Never did find out what the problem was.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:49 PM
kramykram

Depending on the year. You might new a new clutch fluid line. If its on 07 then you probably need to have the recall done and get a new slave cylinder.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:11 PM
yellowlady

i wa jus about to find and update my post on this topic when i ran across this post. iwas having the same problem. after stop and go driving or hard driving my pedal was not returning back to the top of its arc. the dealer is replacing the slave under warranty.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Mkriebs

Interesting... I talked to the dealer and they said for sure that it was my clutch, but this has me thinking again. If there is a recall on the slave for 2007, what is stopping the 2006 from having the same problem. Also, my car is technically a 2006.5, according to the print on the owner's manual, do you think they could have used a 2007 part?
Old 08-04-2008, 12:40 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mkriebs
Interesting... I talked to the dealer and they said for sure that it was my clutch, but this has me thinking again. If there is a recall on the slave for 2007, what is stopping the 2006 from having the same problem. Also, my car is technically a 2006.5, according to the print on the owner's manual, do you think they could have used a 2007 part?
No.

There's a ton of information about this problem right here in the forum that you're posting in.

It seems to be a problem that's exaggerated by the summertime temperatures. Just look around in here and you'll see another 20 threads from the last month about this exact thing.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:44 PM
UMW350Z

I have the same problem after my new Competition Clutch stg 4 clutch was installed. i was told by the shop it is my master cylinder...is it the slave or master cyliner, the line....what is it? The engagement point shifts around all over the place...sometimes high...sometimes low...sometimes extremely low. It changes all around, every 10 minutes it is a new spot. sometimes it sticks sometimes it doesn't....master cylinder then?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Mkriebs

Looks like it will be back in the dealership. I wonder if I should print these pages off as proof...they seem to take me as an utter moron, and it gets old. I also wonder if I would be able to get a new clutch on the warranty because this problem evidently fried my old one, or at least, thats what my nose told me.

Anyone dealt with the dealership/warranty on this issue? Looks like the dealership is gonna be getting a typed out list of issues I want resolved under warranty, I can think of at least 7 things right off the top of my head, some major, some not.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:46 PM
yellowlady

my dealr replaced the slave and the clutch is fine. my car had the JWT combo and they did not have any problem doing the job under warranty.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Mkriebs

YEP! I found out who my permanent dealer is going to be. granted I have to drive a ways to get there, but it is well worth it. Clinton Nissan in Clinton Iowa, definitely recommended. I will be getting my slave replaced under warranty, and will be able to get my ACT clutch and flywheel in for minimal, of any labor charges.