Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My ghetto attempt at Ram Air

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey, not bad man

Pretty decent attempt in my opinion. Might just give me the inspiration to fab up a plastic box to wrap around my pop charger instead of just the heat shield

Keep up the backyard R&D man!
Old 08-11-2003, 05:39 PM
rotory_it_up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One Word.......SAAAAAAAAWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!
Old 08-11-2003, 08:53 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Good attempt, but wouldn't it be easier to just get the injen if you like the filter up front? Now air needs to be channeled through the grill, down and around, up through 3 bends and then to the manifold. The injen has about 1 real bend and wider piping, no?

Best innovation i've seen so far has been the bodykits with the nostril up front for the stock intake box. That seems like an ultimate ram air, but I have yet to hear of anyone report any NA gains from it. Obviously it wouldn't perform as well on the dyno as the track (in motion).

Another doubt i'm having regarding my AEM (or Injen) intake tubing is the aluminum piping. After some heavy driving the metal gets too hot to touch. We need to think of someway to insulate it... I'm sure the piping really heats up the air. Whats the point of a CAI which heats the cold air it brings in.

Keep innovating tho, this is great stuff.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Ricky
Banned

I have a question...

Why not just sell your AEM and buy the Injen!?!?!??!
Old 08-12-2003, 10:57 AM
menehune

Have you considered using RSA's flexible tubing? I believe they come in variable sizes up to 4" in diameter. But then that would mean you would need a larger filter. Here's a website
http://www.hypertuned.com/
Old 08-12-2003, 11:13 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Regardless of what others might say, I commend you. You took your new car and tried to improve upon it with the least amount of $ possible. It may not look pretty but it's still in the experimental stages, right. How do you think companies like HKS and PE got there start in the aftermarket business? Keep up the good work! Just make sure it looks a little less like it got beat with the ugly stick, LOL.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:19 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by VividRacing
Regardless of what others might say, I commend you. You took your new car and tried to improve upon it with the least amount of $ possible. It may not look pretty but it's still in the experimental stages, right. How do you think companies like HKS and PE got there start in the aftermarket business? Keep up the good work! Just make sure it looks a little less like it got beat with the ugly stick, LOL.

Thanks, i know it does not look like much. Like i said i was just trying to get ideas from you guys of how to make it better, and so far i have a few more. Going to redo the scoop by using fiberglass to mold a better one, and going to use some exhaust pipe insted of the flex tube. Thanks again for you help

Later
Aceman
Old 08-12-2003, 12:30 PM
wileecoyte

Hey if you have ever seen real road race cars you've seen how stuff looks a little rough. That corrugated dryer hose for intakes and brake pipes, stuff zip tied everywhere. etc. So now you're car is more racecar like, heh heh heh

I wonder if we shouldn't just do like the M3s do. They have the ram air type intake like we do facing forward, then another air opening in the bottom of the airbox with a pipe that runs down to one of the brake ducts to pull in cold air from down low.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:53 PM
D_Nyholm

I made a home made RAM-AIR for my last car and got CONSISTENT 2 mph and .2 seconds off on the 1/ mile. That equates to about a 20 hp gain. Not a measly 1-4....
Old 08-12-2003, 03:49 PM
MGV156

Default Just buy the Injen CAI

Yah, just buy the Injen CAI.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:55 PM
N74DV

the small gain in ram air pressure is most likely negated during it's extended length travel through the hose up to the plenum.

Also FWIW, ram air doesn't really have much of an effect until you are at speeds in excess of 70-100mph. And that's for a properly designed flow tested unit.

I think this mod will have zero effect on 1/4 mile times and autoX style driving.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:58 AM
spark

Bro...please tell me where you get your sh*t! It must be really good!
Old 08-13-2003, 01:28 AM
jesfuego

IMO- I think that it is to close to the ground, for the gains your going to get amybe 1 or 2 hp more. It is not worth taking in some water unless you intend on getting an AEM bypass.
Well good luck on your project.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:09 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just buy the Injen CAI

Originally posted by MGV156
Yah, just buy the Injen CAI.
I agree with you on this, when i purchased the AEM i did not know i would want to improve apon it. The Injen would be in a perfect spot to make a scoop around it to force more air in. LOL wish i had one right now, but im not going to spend 200+ to get the injen just to do the air ram. Im just messing around anyway, maybe it will help and maybe it wont. Who cares, i love to mod my car.

Later
Aceman
Old 08-13-2003, 11:37 AM
D_Nyholm

Thumbs down

Well, I guess that you all can take it for what you want. But I have PROOF that the ram air gained me consistent 2 mph and .2 sec quicker 1/4 mile times on my mustang. The setup was exactly as he has it except my scoop was a 4 x 10 " going into a flexible dryer duct into my airbox.

I went to the strip w/o it on, made 4 runs, then added it on and made 4 more runs. This was done on more than one occasion.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:40 PM
crustydemon

Why not use the stock air box with a high-flow box(flat) filter. Extend the intake, from the stock opening, to the front grille area, and wrap the aft section of the intake(between the airbox and the throttle body) with an insulated blanket?
Old 08-15-2003, 04:31 PM
kozik

the front bumper cavity already acts that way. look at the seal on the underside of the hood. the insulating blanket is a good idea.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:58 PM
crustydemon

Originally posted by kozik
the front bumper cavity already acts that way. look at the seal on the underside of the hood. the insulating blanket is a good idea.

Yeah...I kinda agree.
But turbulence concerns me. It's a factor you'll fight reguardless, but with the intake extension you reduce the turbulence variable to only whats happening inside the intake.

I'm one of those 'fools' who thinks the only advantage of an aftermarket CAI on this car lies in sound and appearance.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:38 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Default Now that we're brainstorming...

Here's something that popped to mind. Just an idea, probably not easy but maybe it'll stimulate more ideas.

Should go well with a vented hood like the veilside ver3 but with reverse vents or a scoop.
Attached Thumbnails My ghetto attempt at Ram Air-ramair1.jpg  
Old 08-18-2003, 03:39 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Filter box?
Attached Thumbnails My ghetto attempt at Ram Air-ramair2.jpg  

Quick Reply: My ghetto attempt at Ram Air