Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Royal Purple Break-in Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008 | 07:21 PM
mr.elite

Default Royal Purple Break-in Oil

have anyone used this? my first oil change is comming up and wodering if i should go with this or just regular oil. thanks guys.
Old 09-09-2008 | 07:27 PM
Tac-M

wow ... that must be some bs.
Old 09-09-2008 | 07:28 PM
Tac-M

take it easy for 1200 miles, and then go synthetic.
Old 09-09-2008 | 07:34 PM
mr.elite

FACT

Engine builders using flat-tappet cams have grown increasingly concerned that many modern motor oils do not provide adequate wear protection for new engines, particularly those using flat-tappet cams. Royal Purple has addressed this issue by developing a new engine break-in oil.

Royal Purple Break-in Oil is formulated to allow optimal ring seal and protect rotating assembly components such as the camshaft and valve train from initial start up wear. Royal Purple combines highly refined mineral oil, preferred for engine break-in, with advanced additives containing high levels of zinc and phosphorus to optimize protection in flat-tappet and roller engines.

Royal Purple Break-in Oil is fully formulated and does not require the use of any other chemical additives. Royal Purple recommends using their high performance motor oils after the engine is broken in for maximum engine performance.
Old 09-09-2008 | 08:03 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

did u just say regular oil?
Old 09-09-2008 | 08:06 PM
mr.elite

i heard u dont need to go synthetic right away.
Old 09-09-2008 | 08:08 PM
singh

Originally Posted by mr.elite
i heard u dont need to go synthetic right away.
You don't have to use synthetic at all.

Conventional oil is great if you change it out at proper intervals.
Old 09-09-2008 | 10:04 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

FACT

Engine builders using flat-tappet cams have grown increasingly concerned that many modern motor oils do not provide adequate wear protection for new engines, particularly those using flat-tappet cams. Royal Purple has addressed this issue by developing a new engine break-in oil.

Royal Purple Break-in Oil is formulated to allow optimal ring seal and protect rotating assembly components such as the camshaft and valve train from initial start up wear. Royal Purple combines highly refined mineral oil, preferred for engine break-in, with advanced additives containing high levels of zinc and phosphorus to optimize protection in flat-tappet and roller engines.

Royal Purple Break-in Oil is fully formulated and does not require the use of any other chemical additives. Royal Purple recommends using their high performance motor oils after the engine is broken in for maximum engine performance.
I would bet that came from their own website!!
Old 09-10-2008 | 01:23 AM
mr.elite

^ of course. Where did you think i got that from?
Old 09-10-2008 | 01:40 AM
Z04

FACT

FACT

that is nothing more than advertising to get you to buy thier product. i see it worked.
Old 09-10-2008 | 05:15 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

if you're first oil change is coming up, you're past the point of using a break in oil
Old 09-10-2008 | 06:09 AM
gothchick

^^^ Qft.

Besides, everyone knows the world's top engine builders recommend olive oil or a high quality vegetable oil to break their motors in. Some have even used Pam non-stick pan spray with success.

Last edited by gothchick; 09-10-2008 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-10-2008 | 06:48 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Z04

FACT

that is nothing more than advertising to get you to buy thier product. i see it worked.
Thats what i implied
Old 09-10-2008 | 12:45 PM
raf84ny

There is a VQ oil analysis and info thread that may help you to pick "the right oil" for your VQ.
There are few oil brands that performe better than the Royal Purple, just check it out in the Engine and Drivetrain / Sticky Threads.

Last edited by raf84ny; 09-10-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-10-2008 | 01:19 PM
UpRev
Banned

First off. No engine builder that I know, or have ever heard of breaks in any motor with anything other than cam/bearing lube and proper oil. Never vegetable or olive oil, nor PAM spray coating.

Secondly, break in oil is legitimate oil designed for dyno break in on a motor.

Thirdly, if your motor is not brand new, never run before, then you do not need break in oil.

Vegetable/olive etc oil does not have the ability to stop bearing damage. Break in oils are designed for dyno style break in periods. You don't build a race motor and get to put 1000 miles on it before a race. You don't build a motor and dyno tune a customers car before they get break in handled.

Your choice is simple, use an oil formulated to help the break in process. Torco and other race specific oils companies have been building these oils for decades. 30 minutes of run time will net you the right break in for dyno use or even daily driving. Most shops that don't use a break in specific oil will use a cheap SAE 40w dinosaur oil to help the break in process, and while that works there are certain things that a company like Torco will add to their break in oils to help keep your bearings in tact that aren't in standard oil.
Old 09-10-2008 | 05:51 PM
GrayG35

i think he was kidding about the veggie and olive oil. So i can get some of this other break in oil and run it in my car for about 30 min, then drain it and fill it with regular oil and drive the car the way i want to. Im getting a new engine and dont want to wait 1200 miles break it in.
Old 09-10-2008 | 06:21 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GrayG35
i think he was kidding about the veggie and olive oil. So i can get some of this other break in oil and run it in my car for about 30 min, then drain it and fill it with regular oil and drive the car the way i want to. Im getting a new engine and dont want to wait 1200 miles break it in.

Not really no - break in oil is just that - it's designed to be used on a new constructed engine and is done on an engine dyno. If its a new motor from Nissan, I wouldn't bother with a specifically formulated break in oil...it would be a waste of money. Just follow the owners manual and use a good quality dino oil and you'll be fine. If its a built motor, consult whomever built it and use what they recommend. Frequent oil changes are key in a brand new motor. I changed my oil I think 5 times in the first 1000 miles when I built my engine. You want to flush out any filings, etc that result and keep things clean. Once the engine has some time on it, run whatever oil your builder recommends. I changed to synthetic at I think 2000 miles per my engine builders recommendation, but everyone is different
Old 09-10-2008 | 08:25 PM
mr.elite

so it is BS. Thanks to those who gave me good info.
Old 09-11-2008 | 05:04 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

so it is BS. Thanks to those who gave me good info.

No, it is NOT BS - it is a very real product with a very real purpose, whether its from this manufacturer, or any other - many, many companies offer similar type of oils. The question becomes, does your situation fit the purpose. Your car is already on the road, and therefore, you are already past the point where any brand of break in oil would be applicable to you.
Old 09-11-2008 | 05:17 AM
gothchick

Originally Posted by UpRev
First off. No engine builder that I know, or have ever heard of breaks in any motor with anything other than cam/bearing lube and proper oil. Never vegetable or olive oil, nor PAM spray coating.

Secondly, break in oil is legitimate oil designed for dyno break in on a motor.

Thirdly, if your motor is not brand new, never run before, then you do not need break in oil.

Vegetable/olive etc oil does not have the ability to stop bearing damage. Break in oils are designed for dyno style break in periods. You don't build a race motor and get to put 1000 miles on it before a race. You don't build a motor and dyno tune a customers car before they get break in handled.
Haha! Thought it would have been obvious I was kidding. Was waiting for the KY/Vaseline cracks next... Guess you missed it. But thx for setting us straight. Lol~

Last edited by gothchick; 09-11-2008 at 05:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple Break-in Oil