Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Maybe Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:13 PM
BiGGD198

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe Master Cylinder

ok so, last week im driving around and everything is working fine. i go to work and park my car...everything is fine. 4 hrs later at work i decide to go on break and get in my car and notice my clutch pedal is at the floor. i start my car and check to see if it goes in gear and it does with no grind. i was able to shift lightly and the clutch disengaged fine other than the pedal not coming up all the way. i checked my little tank under the hood and noticed its empty and no fluid goin into clutch.

today im looking under my car for leaks by the slave cylinder and checking if the bleeder valve or any washers are loose and everything is tight with no sign of leaks.

now im confused and hoping its not my master cylinder and trying to figure out how to get to it and replace it because its seems like a mission to get thru all the stuff under the hood. any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

PS....anyone know the size of the bleeder valve for the slave cylinder, im trying to get a Speed Bleeder and cant find it at my local pep boys or autozone so wana find online somewere.

Need Major Help
Thanks
Old 09-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Z CRUZN

Something similar happened to me several months ago..... First things first - one way you can check to see if your master cylinder is leaking is to put your hand all the way up to the top of the clutch pedal linkage & feel for fluid at the very top - if there is none there or in the cavity where the MC is located, chances are it's not leaking. As for the slave cyl...get under the car and pull the rubber boot back to inspect for leakage. If none there, there is either no leak or it's pouring into clutch housing thru the slave cyl. which you would probably feel as the cutch begins to slip, burn fluid, etc.

As for my story.....a few months ago I noticed my clutch pedal felt a little "funny" - I do a weekly check of fluids... but checked the clutch fluid resevoir again & the fluid had lowered down between the "Low" and empty. I figured a leak somewhere - put it on a lift & checked everything mentioned above & no leak. Re-filled the fluid & it's been perfect since then. Here was my theory - I installed a JWT clutch & flywheel & kevlar-coated clutch line & hi-temp fluid several years before....bleeding the new fluid was a pain & took forever to get the pedal off the floor during the bleeding, but finally worked. Everything was perfect except for the pedal sticking (not coming up all the way) the last 1/4" or so upon release. Was like that for several years with no other symptoms/problems until the problem above happened. After filling the fluid back up, the pedal worked perfectly. I'm guessing that there was a trapped air bubble in the lines and finally "released" letting the fluid fill the cavity up thereby lowering the level of my fluid. That's the ONLY thing I could figure..??

If your fluid went all the way to empty, I would definitely re-bleed, check for leaks again. Just my 2 cents from a past experience......good luck!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:12 PM
BiGGD198

hmmm....make sense because i did change my clutch like 3 months ago and also used a SS clutch line. so your saying go on top my clutch pedal from inside my car and check above to see leaks, and also see leaks by my slave cylinder under the boot. is there anyway it can leak inside the bell housing from the slave cylinder.

btw....im going crazy trying to find a Speed Bleeder for our 350z. ever hear of them or anyone even have one?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Z CRUZN

Yes - check for leaks as I mentioned.....inside cab at top of clutch pedal linkage & at the slave cylinder (pull back rubber boot). Also, if there's a leak you should be able to check under your Z - crossmembers, cables, frame, etc. - for coated fluid somewhere or everywhere. Easiest to see while on a rack.

As for speed bleeders....don't know the size needed for the clutch bleeder. The only 2 brands I've heard of is Russell & Goodridge (have used neither however). I'm sure info on them is on the web...have no idea who carries them.

BTW, did you refill the fluid? Initially, I would refill, re-bleed (to get the pedal to release all the way), drive normally, check for leaks & re-check the fluid level after each drive. You may get lucky as I did & no leaks.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:11 PM
deathfist

same deal with me.. 05 roadster. clutch goes soft while driving, then pumps up a little (like after it gets warmed up), then soft again...

my problem was slave cylinder.. got lucky nissan dealer replaced bothe the master and slave ..under warranty. the bill from them was about $600 for the work