Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Midrange torque

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 04:10 PM
dryseals

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midrange torque

OK, I bought an 07 enthusiast a little over a month ago. It's a standard, I love to shift and I love the torque. So after driving it around for a while, I found my play area. Between 2K and 5.5K is where I want to work. I'm not interested in top end HP or 1/4 mile runs, I want more toque in the play area.

Now before anyone starts spoputing about the aftermarket bolt ons, let me give you a little background. I'm 50 quickly nearing 51. I have a 66 GTO 400 4 speed and a 68 Firebird (Chevy 350, don't tell the Pontiac folks, it'll kill them), just sold the Corvette and still have a 72 MGB. I do all my own engine work, body work, paint, upholstery and anything that is needed. I have more high performance parts laying around than you could shake a stick at for.

My first initial impressions are to change the Y pipe so that the Y is much closer to the engine. And also to decrease the pressure drop across the air filter by allowing more cool air pulled in. Anyone played in this area?
Old 09-10-2008, 08:28 PM
gregom

Man I would of kept the Vette... much more torque and better gear ratio on the 6-speed... but good luck finding a way to increase torque on the Z.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Blk03G35

N/A mods aren't going to do **** for your love of mid range torque. The VQ has a major torque deficiency because it's low displacement. If i was you and wanted some worthwhile torque. I'd look in the classified section for an Stillen Eaton supercharger package. I believe the S3 Stillen kits ups wheel torque to over 300lbs.

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STISUPR01&c=PE

Last edited by Blk03G35; 09-11-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:32 PM
dryseals

The vette was fun, but wasn't really me, it was an automatic. I ended up putting a 3.75 gear in it just to get some out of the hole kick to it. Along with many other tweaks.

I was afraid that the displacement was going to limit me as a N/A sett up. The Stillen looks interesting. I've never owned a supercharged setup, but I helped tune many and the thought was going through my mind. I guess I'll have to do some more digging.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Blk03G35

Originally Posted by dryseals
The vette was fun, but wasn't really me, it was an automatic. I ended up putting a 3.75 gear in it just to get some out of the hole kick to it. Along with many other tweaks.

I was afraid that the displacement was going to limit me as a N/A sett up. The Stillen looks interesting. I've never owned a supercharged setup, but I helped tune many and the thought was going through my mind. I guess I'll have to do some more digging.

Dry,

Vette sounds like fun. Did you have a nice 3200+ stall also?

The Stillen kit doesn't offer the super top end gains of the vortech or the procharger but kicks there *** in low and midrange torque.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My first initial impressions are to change the Y pipe so that the Y is much closer to the engine.
The Motordyne XYZ pipe does exactly that. Its merged much closer to the engine, but not too close.

Merging too close to the engine kills TQ quickly too.

In the R&D phase of the Motordyne XYZ development it was found that:
8 inches closer than optimum dropped ~20TQ on the dyno but the engine was still responsive.
18 inches farther than optimum dropped ~10TQ on the dyno and destroyed throttle response.

And also to decrease the pressure drop across the air filter by allowing more cool air pulled in. Anyone played in this area?
It is unlikely to see any significant gains by changing the filter. The stock boxes actually flow quite well.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:03 AM
05Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could upgrade your final drive up to a 4.083, if you want to stay NA. That seems to be one of the best bang for your buck mods.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:57 AM
4SHIZZIL

I have the revup motor so the same doesnt apply to you...yours is a HREV correct (someone chime in...Im a G35C guy). for me the intak runner stack (mrev2) was the best TQ gain....gears have been found to help also.

Go with the lightest flywheel you can shake a stick at and yes...get rid of that Y pipe and CATs...run test tipes or High flows.... Those altogether might (i repeat...might) bring you 30FT TQ.

If stillen makes a SuperCharger for your model. I would leave EVERYTHING alone (minus y pipe and CATS) and add that sucker ontop... its not big top end HP so everyone on here doesnt like it...but its a low end tq monster....no one can argue that.

if you dont waist money buying other things, its a cost effective mod in my opinion....6K for about 70Ft TQ they can be found used for about 3500-4K

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 09-12-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:01 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk03G35
N/A mods aren't going to do **** for your love of mid range torque. The VQ has a major torque deficiency because it's low displacement. If i was you and wanted some worthwhile torque. I'd look in the classified section for an Stillen Eaton supercharger package. I believe the S3 Stillen kits ups wheel torque to over 300lbs.

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STISUPR01&c=PE
they don't make superchargers for the HR yet
Old 09-12-2008, 10:07 AM
4SHIZZIL

Originally Posted by 350z_racer05
they don't make superchargers for the HR yet
i figured that but with the Z they are always so slow to match the G I can never figure out what engin is in what year...
just like the G37 where is the 370Z...waiting behind us as usual

thats why I asked the question...you still did not provide the OP and help.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:39 AM
dryseals

Originally Posted by Blk03G35
Dry,

Vette sounds like fun. Did you have a nice 3200+ stall also?

The Stillen kit doesn't offer the super top end gains of the vortech or the procharger but kicks there *** in low and midrange torque.
No stall needed. The stock stall is fairly close to what was needed. With the first gear of the 700R4 and the 3.75, it launch great. I had a simular setup in the wifes street truck, 4.10 gear and 700r4, launched great and didn't have that everyday driving slip of a high stall. Of course the lopey 350 in front helped out.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:45 AM
dryseals

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
The Motordyne XYZ pipe does exactly that. Its merged much closer to the engine, but not too close.

8 inches closer than optimum dropped ~20TQ on the dyno but the engine was still responsive.
18 inches farther than optimum dropped ~10TQ on the dyno and destroyed throttle response.

It is unlikely to see any significant gains by changing the filter. The stock boxes actually flow quite well.
I'll do a little more looking at the system. There's a dyno about two miles from the house, friend of mine built the shop for his son. As for air, the location of the stock system looks as good as it can get. I didn't like the looks of the pop charger as the tendency to get hot air in there soured me. There has to be room for improvement. I did a lot of looking the other night and it looks like major mods to get what I'm looking for. Not to say it won't happen.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

^You are right to be soured by the potential for hot air induction.
Hot air from the engine compartment reduces HP quickly.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:19 PM
dryseals

^You are right to be soured by the potential for hot air induction.
Hot air from the engine compartment reduces HP quickly.
Well today's another day. We live in Bridge City TX and last night Ike rolled through. The family and I are up in Dallas, but from what we have been able to gather, we've had about four feet of water in the house.

The Z is still in the garage at the house, so it looks like my projects are going to come to a halt. I imagine the car is going to be a total loss, along with the 68 Firebird, the 66 GTO and the 72 MGB and maybe even my 97 truck I use for hauling things. Along with my 33 years of gathering tools.

With any luck (silver linings) I'll take the payoff on the Z, keep it and do some major mods, what ever my little heart desires.

Anyone out there ever had a Z full of water?
Old 09-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

.............. I'm very sorry to hear that.

God be with you and your family.

Maybe Fema and insurance can help out.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:14 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Cams make a huge difference in the mid-range. Motordyne MRev2 lower plenum and the ISO thermal spacer has shown about 15 ft-lbs gain (IIRC).
Old 09-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Dave B

My question is if you move the y-pipe junction further away from the engine causing an power loss, then why does the HR come with a y-pipe junction much further aft of the motor than the DE/Rev-up? I'm going to try the HR y-pipe on my DE next week just for the hell of it. I'm really not expecting a power gain, but I am expecting a slight reduction in NVH because of the vibration reducing "pucks" on the y-pipe. It's just a silly experiment
Old 09-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Dave B
My question is if you move the y-pipe junction further away from the engine causing an power loss, then why does the HR come with a y-pipe junction much further aft of the motor than the DE/Rev-up? I'm going to try the HR y-pipe on my DE next week just for the hell of it. I'm really not expecting a power gain, but I am expecting a slight reduction in NVH because of the vibration reducing "pucks" on the y-pipe. It's just a silly experiment
That will make a good experiment.

The merge point isn't really much different from the DE version. Maybe a few more inches, but where its really different is in the primary diameters.

They are a little smaller. You probably should be able to gain some more TQ down low.

Be sure to take note of any changes of throttle response in your comparison.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:34 PM
4SHIZZIL

Daam bro sorry to hear about your loss. I was watching about that storm. Very sorry about all of them but the GTO hurts me the most to hear about (personal fav).

Good luck and keep them all and rebuild them better than ever!

Those GTOs with a blower run really nice, especially with a 200 shot up top!