Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Engine overheating....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 01:39 AM
imseksy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Snow-G
+100, same problem to the "T". Search the forum for the procedure. I believe you warm to normal opp temp, turn heat on full, and open purge valve SLOWLY while someone else blips the throttle.

well... "burped" the air out of the cooling system and now everything is working like roses. we were about to change the thermostat, but decided to purge the system.... thank you to everyone who put in their input!!!
Old 09-20-2008, 06:47 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesnt explain the first overheating incident.

First thing I would do, is goto the parts store, and boy a cooling system pressurize tool. Put about 15-20psi of pressure in the cooling system, and look, listen, and feel for a leak.

Once you are 100% sure there is no leak in the system, then do a thorough purging with a spill funnel. Should be back to normal then. Run the motor during the purging process, and blast the heat. Once the heat blows very hot, you know you are getting close.

If the car still runs warm after all of that, I would look at the thermostat. But it is VERY VERY rare to have a REAL bad thermostat on these cars. It's often a red herring that people think is a problem.

Feel free to call the shop, and I can walk you through the process if you still need help. Good luck!

S.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:22 AM
imseksy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Doesnt explain the first overheating incident.

First thing I would do, is goto the parts store, and boy a cooling system pressurize tool. Put about 15-20psi of pressure in the cooling system, and look, listen, and feel for a leak.

Once you are 100% sure there is no leak in the system, then do a thorough purging with a spill funnel. Should be back to normal then. Run the motor during the purging process, and blast the heat. Once the heat blows very hot, you know you are getting close.

If the car still runs warm after all of that, I would look at the thermostat. But it is VERY VERY rare to have a REAL bad thermostat on these cars. It's often a red herring that people think is a problem.

Feel free to call the shop, and I can walk you through the process if you still need help. Good luck!

S.
sounds good...

she runs like a champ now after a few test runs... i think the first overheating issue was caused by a cracked radiator. when we put water into the original radiator u can see it dripping from the side. with the new radiator there is no spills at all. and i guess when we installed the new radiator and topped off fluids we didnt bleed the system enough. now i get hot air and a cool engine.

has there been any occurance where everything seemed fine for about 5-10 miles or so and then it happened to overheat again?