Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ACT clutch/flywheel installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ACT clutch/flywheel installed

45k milies, somehow my pilot blushin broke. So i decided to replace clutch/flywheel as well. I read many good things about ACT brand, so why not?

Flywheel is very light (13lbs) and ACT heavy duty clutch feels very strong. The first day when i picked up the car, i stalled couple times, untill now i never stall the car yet? But it doesn't mean that i'm already use to it.

Clutch pedal feels really smooth and lighter than OEM, i replaced the clutch line/fluid as well. Trust me, it is very easy to drive on street. And there is chatter @ 1500~2000 and high gear in/low speed, but i don't mine

I'm still driving very carefully, shift around 3500 ~4000 rpms, i didn't even try rev-up when gear is in netual. (I can't wait untill it break-in ) It is perfect setup for my driving style.

Act offer Prolite/streetlite flywheels and heavy duty/6punk solid or sprung clutch. Prolite clutch is more lighter than streetlite ( 16 lbs ) and 6 punk clutch will be good choice for FI guys.

* note: it didn't come with an alignment kit, so who willing to replace clutch/flywheel yourself, i do recommand get the alignment tool seperately from your local auto shop.

I bought my parts from adam@z1. If you have any questions, shoot PM to adam to get an answer https://my350z.com/forum/members/113...rformance.html, very heplful guy.

-JLee stay tuned

Last edited by Chef-J; 08-28-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:12 PM
350z-Jim

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are using an organic disc then break-in is only 200-300miles if you are using any of the pucked designs then there is no break in period just hammer it right off the get go.

Even with that said, organic discs will have a long life even with very little break in period of just a few miles. What disc are you running?
Old 11-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

^organic clutch disk, heavy duty pressure plate
Old 11-09-2008, 09:00 PM
kramykram

Congratulations on the upgrade. Your never know what a diff the flywheel makes till you drive with a lightweight.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

^ thanks, too bad that i'm going to store my car today, so i won't be finish break-in period time. But Still excited, can't wait untill winter is over.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Some PM's asking me how pilot blushing got broken, i have noidea. Here is picture that request

Old 11-23-2008, 09:05 PM
drewk

I just installed the ACT clutch and flywheel and SS lines. There is ALOT of chatter in first gear. Im not used to it... when I disengage its like the car is going to shut off because its shaking so much. Is this normal? What should I do?
Old 11-24-2008, 06:53 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

^ yes, it is normal. You will get used to it.

Edit: here is testing video i took.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=46848879

I had to put high gear @ low speed to catch that chatter (or gear rattle ).

Last edited by Chef-J; 11-24-2008 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:39 AM
drewk

This might sound weird, but there is LESS chatter when I start in second gear and rev really high. Thanks for the vid, Im at work, I might have to watch it when I get home. And maybe I can make my own and post it.

-Andrew
Old 11-24-2008, 08:54 AM
t0mills

Originally Posted by drewk
This might sound weird, but there is LESS chatter when I start in second gear and rev really high. Thanks for the vid, Im at work, I might have to watch it when I get home. And maybe I can make my own and post it.

-Andrew

Just a FYI,

The chatter that you are getting (shaking when taking off) is caused by the springs in the clutch disk.

They are put there to dampen vibration, similar to the way that our OEM Dual Mass Flywheel does.

When you are slipping the clutch, to take off, you are putting enough tension on the disk to load the springs. It sounds like you may not be releasing the clutch fast enough, thus causing the springs to overcome the amount of tension that you are placing on the disk, and unload. Then they will load again, and unload. That's the shaking that you are feeling, the springs loading and unloading.

To remedy this, try taking off a little more aggressively. Once the springs in the clutch hub load, you should be at the point of fully releasing the clutch pedal.

-Tim
Old 11-24-2008, 09:58 AM
drewk

^ Thanks, I did realize that taking off more aggressively at a higher rpm lessens the chatter. Thanks for the tip... appreciate it.