Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

VQ equals RB?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 04:59 PM
koryo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VQ equals RB?

originaly posted 8/15/03 by BRS0903 https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=39629

FYI:
The September issue of Racecar Engineering (09 V13) has a nice little article featuring the JGTC Xanavi NISMO GT-R Skyline. Why do we care? Because half way through the JGTC season Nismo switched the GT-R's powerplant from the battleship RB to a VQ30. The rules allow for any engine to be used as long as it's from the same manufacturer. Anyway, the impact of that kind of change for a leading team in the GT500 class would be nothing less than essentially fording a new car.

"The way we've had to go this year, running the RB engine-equipped cars at the beginning and VQ cars in the second half... It was because of something for marketing reasons. I wasn't in agreement with it at all. For a team, it's very difficult to have two different cars in the same year."

Richard Divila, Head Engineer

so...
The information that I was able to gather from the limited sources available it appears that the durability of a +500hp twin turbo VQ is not an insurmountable problem. ...ok, at least for 1000km. but you don't make that kind of switch if it's fundamentally not going to work and cost you a championship. I would also further speculate that the "marketing reasons", Richard griped about, is that the new skyline will be a TT VQ.

Is the VQ the new RB? I think so. Will there be monster TT VQs', yes.

koryo
Attached Thumbnails VQ equals RB?-gtrvq30.jpg  
Old 08-25-2003, 06:01 PM
little_rod

Well, you did quote the VQ30, what we are more concerned about is the VQ35.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:39 AM
spark

that's true...car companies don't like to turbo anything over 3.0 for production. and japan auto makers have found the secret to make V8s work more efficient. so they are using V8s instead of turbos. less problems and the switch to the VQ30 might be because it has good torque over the RB
Old 08-26-2003, 11:13 AM
myinfinitig20

look at mercedes and audi....they're turboing or supercharging like 5.8 liters....those new amgs are fast as **** for their size and weight
Old 08-26-2003, 12:18 PM
spark

have you ever owned a German car? they have so much problems...that even car writers are happy with ten problems a year...
Old 08-26-2003, 02:47 PM
OC_350Z

Originally posted by spark
have you ever owned a German car? they have so much problems...that even car writers are happy with ten problems a year...

very true
Old 08-27-2003, 04:40 PM
koryo

For those that care, I found out several more things about the VQ30DE-TT. First off they used a VQ30DE-K as their starting point. The K motor has a oversquare bore/stroke. ( 93.0×73.3 ) I didn't know there was a K motor. The K designates "kaizen", which translates to "improvement". But I'm sure the maxima guys are very familiar with it. Essentially it's the 5th gen max motor. Second Nismo is claming that it puts out more hp and torque at lower revs than the old RB26. That's kinda interesting considering that the VQ is roughly only 200cc larger. (VQ30 2987 ~ RB26 2771)

Now, I find this pertinent and exciting because of the sister brother relationship between the VQ30 and VQ35. I don't know the full extent of the inbreeding between the two but figuring the less than two year release difference for the VQ35 i would guess they share more than a passing resemblance. Also, one reason I believe they chose the VQ30 over the newer VQ35 because of the jgtc's rules regarding the restrictor size vs. motor cc. In other words if they chose the VQ35 they would have to use smaller intake restrictor plates because the cutoff is at 3000cc.

spec comparison (in Japanese)
http://www.xanavi.co.jp/from/race/jg.../mach_con.html

nice wallpapers here
http://www.xanavi.co.jp/from/race/jg...er/wp_con.html
and one secret one
http://www.xanavi.co.jp/from/race/jg...ages/dummy.jpg

koryo
Old 08-27-2003, 07:29 PM
spark

like I said the VQ has better torque over the RB.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:21 AM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

Hey... (The new Titan is V8 5.6-liter DOHC )

Whats VQ stand for? The Number following are the liters? Is that a VQ56
Old 08-28-2003, 07:42 AM
chibisak

There is a testing engine call VQ32-TT
is 3.2 VQ engine Turbo for New Z
Old 08-28-2003, 03:29 PM
digerydingo

My understanding for the switch-over was because of Renault, not Nissan. When Renault took over Nissan, Nissan built 14 different platforms with nearly as many engines. Renault over time streamlined chassis in half and engines to a more reasonable number and where able to mass produce for much cheaper. Renault's cuts also took place in Motorsport. The VQ was already being run in Grand-Am racing and developed for a new formula as well as being available in many road cars whereas the RB was only found in the Skyline.

Since the change Nissan now has the VQ engine in nearly every chassis it builds as well as motorsports endeavors in 2 JGTC categories (GT500/300), Telefonica World Series, Paris Dakkar Rallaye, Grand-Am, American LeMans.

To the guy in the other thread that mentioned it had nothing to do with marketing I say it has everything to do with marketing/money and more. Now you can continue the development your motors with feedback comming from 6 sources each with unique needs. Anytime your cars/team wins in any of the 6 seperate global series, you can paste it in the paper and pump out ads to try and sell your cars. And you can boast how you use the same engines in the road cars that race for X hrs of the most punishing and grueling racing there is, ubeknownst to most that the only things these engines share is the block. Thats quite a record when compared to an RB engine raced only in the local markets and a few LeMans attempts with life in only one high end sports car that likely had low market share when compared to Nissan's massed produced cars. (I'm going to hell because I love the RB Skyline and will own one before I die)

I say the only way they'll produce a turbo VQ35 for production would be for the engineers to work on the project on their own time, which, even if presented properly to the Renault Controllers would likely not get past prototype stage and if so would likely only be for local markets. Money/market wise it just doesn't seem realistic. (Now I'm really going to hell cause I would so buy a VQ35TT from the factory in a heartbeat)