Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Cusco Type RS & Quaife LSD's

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:00 PM
montyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cusco Type RS & Quaife LSD's

My brother has an 07 350z base model. I have been helping look at the various options available for LSD. The car is a summer vehicle but is used daily for that season. To my knowledge he won't be tracking the car but enjoys drifting every once in a while. He is looking for something civilized, ie. no popping, clicking, or tire scraping (during tight parking lot maneuvers). From looking at user feedback on this board and on the internet I have determined that the Cusco Type RS or the Quaife would work the best for his specific requirements. Now that said I wanted to confirm a couple of things. I have read is a couple of places that the Quaife will bolt directly in place, replacing the oem open diff. Is there anything else that is required to put this unit in the car (car has roughly 3500 miles on it). Secondly what is required to put the Cusco Type RS in? Is there a kit that has be purchased to make this happen?
I have read a lot of reviews on the both which have given them a lot of praise. Has anyone had bad experiences with either? Does anyone have an opinion why one would be better than the other? Also, does anyone have information on the life expectancy of the Coscus clutch plates? As well what is the oil change interval for the Cusco? I have read that the Quaife follows the same change interval as the stock oem unit.
Any other comments are more than welcome. Myself personally I think I would go with the Quaife. The lifetime warranty and maintenance schedule make it an appealing product. The only thing that I can't get my head around is the fact that it will not transfer power if one tire is completely off the ground or if one tire gets no traction (ice, etc.). I like how the clutch system of the Cusco works. Its more of how you expect and LSD to work.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 01-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no special attention needed for the cusco oil change - I do mine based on the factory service manual and it's been in the car for years now. To date, I've never heard of, nor sold, any replacement disks for the Cusco LSD's, in this car, or any other car.

Cusco with all install parts for a base: https://my350z.com/forum/drivetrain/...-are-back.html

last page of that post has the pricing

The Quaife is a drop in replacement for an open diff car. Both are excellent units from top flight companies. Another one worthy of consideration is OS Giken. We're dealers for all three
Old 01-08-2009, 06:20 PM
montyz

What can you tell me about OS Giken. How do they compare to the two LSD's I have already mentioned?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

you can read about them on our site:

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ne&prodid=3489
Old 01-13-2009, 08:10 PM
tired

Originally Posted by montyz
The only thing that I can't get my head around is the fact that it will not transfer power if one tire is completely off the ground or if one tire gets no traction (ice, etc.). I like how the clutch system of the Cusco works. Its more of how you expect and LSD to work.
According to multiple Quaife dealers this is not true. The Quaife ATB differential is a constant 50/50 lock to both wheels.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:54 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tired
According to multiple Quaife dealers this is not true. The Quaife ATB differential is a constant 50/50 lock to both wheels.
only when both wheels are on the ground (and I'm a Quaife dealer, and owner) - that is how helical diffs work
Old 01-14-2009, 07:09 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^What Adam says is true. With a helical diff like the Quaife, if one wheel has 0 traction (wheel off the ground, slippery ice), it will essentially act like an open diff.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:36 PM
tired

****, that sucks! So this will do me no good when my car gets stuck doing 3-wheel motion while coming up my driveway? Right now one wheel just peels a bit and I go nowhere.