Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Trans/clutch acting oddly

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:58 AM
NewOrleans350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans/clutch acting oddly

Just so everyone knows, I did searches for this problem, but cant find anything for my specific problems. I have been noticing a few things the last few days driving my car.

First, it revs high at idle when first started up (around 1700-2000). I did a search and found that many people have had this problem, especially in winter, and usually after a few minutes it goes back to idling at 0. But my car never returns to 0. Today, I was driving for about 10 minutes, and when I stopped at a light, it just idled at around 1250 for a good 90 seconds. I tried pressing the clutch all the way, and leaving the clutch fully depressed, and still the same result. Is this normal? Shouldn't it be idling close to 0?

Second, when shifting gears, the rpms do not lower. Its hard to explain but I will try:

Let's say I am driving along in 4th gear at around 2 RPM; when I release the gas and press the clutch in, the RPMs jump up to about 2500 sometimes higher, but I did nothing to the gas. So basically, I have no foot on the gas and the clutch is fully pressed, and the RPMs blip up a bit, instead of lowering. It revs even higher when going from 5th gear to 6th gear.

Any idea of these are related? What they could mean?

Last edited by NewOrleans350z; 01-26-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ECU has a close loop programming when the car is cold, the rpms will be higher (although maybe not as high as you're saying) once the water is up to temperature, then the rpms start to drop a little bit to normal idle.

when does this happen? morning? when the car has been driven for a while? starting up after a cold night of being off? more details would help.. perhaps your throttle position was some how screwed up.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:12 PM
NewOrleans350z

Lately it has been happening all the time. It revs high in the morning (around 2250) but it doesn't go down like it should; it goes down SOME, but not back down between 200-750 RPMs like most people say should be normal. I'm about 20 miles from work, and when I get there in the morning after over 30 minutes, it still idles around 1250. Shouldn't the car be up to temperature after 35 minutes of driving and be back idling closer to 0?

I guess nobody knows anything about the second issue, which happens all the time, also. No pedals being pressed, but the RPMs jump about to about 2500 right after I press and release the clutch and put the car in neutral.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:22 PM
freedonutss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried fully resetting your ECU and trying to throttle position reset?

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm
Old 01-26-2009, 05:30 PM
zettahertz

so it goes up to 2500 and stays there? or blips up and then comes back down to ~800.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:31 PM
NewOrleans350z

I have not. Is this what it could be? The SES light is on.

If I tried this, could it mess anything up? Cancel out anything on my warranty? I know everyone will probably say just take it to the dealership since it is under warranty, but I may not have time to do that until the end of the week, and I am trying to figure out as much as I can about the problems before I take it to the dealership. That way, I could avoid being surprised if it is something bad. I just figured some other people may know what the cause is beforehand and pass some information along to me.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:32 PM
NewOrleans350z

Originally Posted by zettahertz
so it goes up to 2500 and stays there? or blips up and then comes back down to ~800.
Which issue are you referring to?

For the second issue, it happens while I am driving. I tried it as I was coming to a red light earlier. Ill give a step by step account of what happened.

I am cruising along at lets say 45 MPH at 2 RPM, only thing happening is my foot is on the gas and the clutch is in 5th gear.

I take my foot of the gas.

I press in the clutch as I put the shifter in neutral.

When the clutch engages, the RPM goes from about 2000 to about 2500 and then comes back down to about 1750 as I slow the car down, only pressing the brake, gas and clutch are untouched.

As I slow down for the light, the RPMs slowly go down to about 1500, and just idle there when I come to a stop.

I may try and go get a video of whats going on if I can.

Last edited by NewOrleans350z; 01-26-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:45 PM
freedonutss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my knowledge resetting ECU or reset throttle position does NOT void warranty.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:45 PM
mrgsdsjg

Originally Posted by NewOrleans350z
... I did a search and found that many people have had this problem, especially in winter, and usually after a few minutes it goes back to idling at 0. But my car never returns to 0. Today, I was driving for about 10 minutes, and when I stopped at a light, it just idled at around 1250 for a good 90 seconds. I tried pressing the clutch all the way, and leaving the clutch fully depressed, and still the same result. Is this normal? Shouldn't it be idling close to 0? ...
Kind of hard for the engine to idle at 0 rpms.... unless its a hybrid that cuts the engine off at a stop...
Old 01-27-2009, 07:55 AM
NewOrleans350z

Originally Posted by mrgsdsjg
Kind of hard for the engine to idle at 0 rpms.... unless its a hybrid that cuts the engine off at a stop...
Close to zero......

Thanks for being a *****.