Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Weird transmission noise..

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 12:50 PM
JAbraham03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called the dealership and was told by a mechanic there that the synchros in the 350Z are hard to line up so basically we are all screwed. Mine is an 04 (has 07 engine and tranny in it) and all the reviews that you will read will tell you that from 03 on all the way to 08's with low miles all have shifting issues. you would have thought that Nissan would have changed this over 5 years. Also, I asked about different fluids to help it out. The dealership said non that they know of. A guy I work with used to own a bunch of auto shops and he said GM used to have a similar issue so they tried thicker fluid but cars were not able to shift when they went up north in the cold so they then tried auto transmittion fluid but it was so thin that it was eating up the trany. To sum it all up. Let your car warm up for 4-5 minutes then you should be good. It really only does it the first drive of the day. I also before I start driving with the clutch in shift back and forth from 1 - 2 a few times and it seems to help. I guess if it isnt grinding I am not too concerned. Anyways, anyone that has some other issues let me know. My car also makes a rattle sound at 2100RPM (light weight flywheel?) but not at any other RPM.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:10 AM
jkcz

Default UPDATE on transmission noise..

I just heard from the dealer and they said that the Syncro between first and second gear was damaged in the transmission, so they are ordering me a new transmission and should have it finished by Thursday, all under warranty..

I'm glad it's getting fixed, but does a replaced transmission hurt my resale?
Old 03-19-2009, 04:47 AM
jkcz

Default Final update

I just got my Z back from the dealer. They had to order me a new transmission and it came in yesterday morning and installed it same day.
I am happy to report that the new Transmission feels completely different! Smooth throught all the grears and it even feels like the clutch is a little different(might be in my head).

So, if your having an issue with the Syncros and there is a clunk when shifting gears on the first drive of the day, take it in and they'll replace the transmission under warranty! I'm glad I took it in.,...
Old 03-23-2009, 01:55 PM
CamiloA98

Originally Posted by jkcz
I just got my Z back from the dealer. They had to order me a new transmission and it came in yesterday morning and installed it same day.
I am happy to report that the new Transmission feels completely different! Smooth throught all the grears and it even feels like the clutch is a little different(might be in my head).

So, if your having an issue with the Syncros and there is a clunk when shifting gears on the first drive of the day, take it in and they'll replace the transmission under warranty! I'm glad I took it in.,...
Really? Damn, my dealer ignored my and told me that it was normal . Ima see if I can do the same thing, because I get a clunk when I shift to 2nd, sometimes.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Lately

Default New Transmission, Same old noise!!!

I bought my Z (2006 MT Base) in December....shortly after I bought it I noticed the noise too....actually I think it made the noise when I test drove it but I thought maybe it was my driving.....After I purchased the car and noticed it didnt sound right I took it to my local Nissan dealer to find out what the problem was...they told me the noise was coming from the transmission and they ordered a new one and when it came in they would let me know so I could schedule it for a tranny swap.

Two days later I got the car back witht the new transmission and before I got out of the parking lot it was make the same noise. I went directly back into the dealer to speak with the service manager and took him for a ride to hear the sound......he said they had a used 2005 MT on the lot and we should take it for a ride to compare the two.........the 2005 made exactly the same noise.....

Unfortunately, I think it is a normal sound.....both transmissions in my car made the sound and the transmission in the 2005......it is an annoying sound but you get use to it. If you take off at higher RPM's I have noticed the sound goes away.

I would say this is an issue that Nissan will never resolve in the 350s but hopefully they will take care of it in the 370s.

Good luck to all!!!