Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Quaife LSD install issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:30 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Update #2:::
Good news for TCO possibly. The new LSD arrived and from the test fitting, seems to be just fine. We already did shorten the output shafts, as you can tell in my first picture. Hopefully, they have the proper shims to finish the install today. It appears that despite having the correct model, there was some sort of machining or clearance error on Quaife's part that did not allow my output shaft to fit. My problem may just be a freak accident or a probem with a specific batch.
I will hold off on final judgement of Quaife for now, at least until I sit behind the wheel and burn BOTH my tires off in the parking lot
Old 05-22-2009, 01:11 PM
TCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cooool ... thanks for your info ... so i have to hope, that my quaife has not the same machine problem ...

btw. wouldn't it be better to buy some driveshafts of the "non-VLSD" model instead of shorten the output shafts?!

thomas
Old 05-22-2009, 08:40 PM
INTIMAZY

If you purchased the model specifically for the car with the VLSD, I don't know if the base output shafts would work. The VLSD shafts worked flawlessly on the new unit Quaife sent. It is not uncommon to shorten output shafts when installing LSD's in other cars, if that is your concern. Any shop that has had experience with installing LSD's (especially in DSMs, Hondas, etc) would be comfortable with trimming output shafts, although I think this Quaife may be the only LSD for the 350z that requires it, as far as I know.

I will pick up my car tomorrow. The car is assembled and has been test-driven with positive remarks.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:26 AM
TCO

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
It is not uncommon to shorten output shafts when installing LSD's in other cars, if that is your concern.
yes, i thought i could avoid the shorten, if i would sell some base shafts ... okay, so i have to shorten them,
but that will not be the problem ... hopefully

so i wish a great time with the quaife ...

thanks!
thomas
Old 05-23-2009, 06:24 AM
INTIMAZY

The car is back in my possession! The Quaife makes a HUGE difference over the VLSD. The way it just grips and steers you through a corner is phenomenal! The whine from the gears is excessive IMO. I will be taking it back to double check backlash and pinion bearings, since for the price they charged, this should not be an issue.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:10 PM
TCO

*hehehe* great to hear such a feedback
Old 05-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Done Deal DR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car is back in my possession! The Quaife makes a HUGE difference over the VLSD. The way it just grips and steers you through a corner is phenomenal! The whine from the gears is excessive IMO. I will be taking it back to double check backlash and pinion bearings, since for the price they charged, this should not be an issue.
Thats great man! Glad you got it all sorted out and enjoy!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cool - guess it was mixboxed from Quaife?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:07 AM
INTIMAZY

The unit itself was the correct model and was boxed appropriately. As far as I know, the issue was some sort of machining error on Quaife's part that was quickly resolved with the new unit. Just as future reference, this unit is not ENTIRELY drop in since the output shafts did have to get shortened by 1.7 inches.

Now if only RIPP MODS would fix the whining noise, I'll be happy. I called last week and they had asked me if I knew where to get shims for my car (huge red flag!), so I guess they had not shimmed it properly before they threw it back together for the long weekend holiday. Wish me luck!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

gotcha- would be better to hear if it was misboxed, but when you're dealing with machined parts, anything is possible

for the shims, not every car needs new ones - some do, some don't, just luck of the draw. During the initial mockups, they use a gauge to measure what size shims are needed to put the gears where they need to be for the best overall mesh. Whining is usually indicative that backlash is set too loose. The dealership carries all the shims, as I recall there are like 14 different sizes, so they sorta have to know what they need before they order
Old 05-27-2009, 12:06 PM
warmmilk

The unit itself was the correct model and was boxed appropriately. As far as I know, the issue was some sort of machining error on Quaife's part that was quickly resolved with the new unit. Just as future reference, this unit is not ENTIRELY drop in since the output shafts did have to get shortened by 1.7 inches.

Now if only RIPP MODS would fix the whining noise, I'll be happy. I called last week and they had asked me if I knew where to get shims for my car (huge red flag!), so I guess they had not shimmed it properly before they threw it back together for the long weekend holiday. Wish me luck!
so the "new" unit still requires some machining? How much was it? Would it be easier and/or cheaper to get the base unit and buy some base axle stubs?

my diff is shot, so i'm gonna be buying a quaife soon (hopefully before the end of this year), and i'd like to be able to get it installed and all squared away in one day. i really don't wanna have to leave my car at the shop while waiting for random parts to come in...
Old 05-27-2009, 02:07 PM
INTIMAZY

The shop did not charge me extra for shortening the output shafts. It's a pretty common procedure in other LSD's for other cars. The shortening of the output shafts does not need to be performed by a machine shop or anything like that. Just cut, and clean up the ends.

I don't know the price for new or used base stub axles offhand so I can't compare. If you give the diagram that TCO posted to the shop, they should not have any issues. I doubt it would be any cheaper to go with the base output shafts and Base Quaife model vs. just buying the LSD specifically for the VLSD cars.

What held up my install was a manufacturer defect that Quaife had taken care of. The install should not take more than a day, typically. The only thing that may hold up install is measuring and ordering the proper shims when setting backlash on the ring and pinion. Not all installs require shims, and if your shop has the proper shims on hand, there should be no delay.
Ultimately, my nightmare was a result of a rare manufacturer defect and installer issues.

BTW does anyone know where I can get a "Nissan shim kit"? The shop left it up to me to find and supply them with one. Since all other gear installs at other shops I've been through included shimming, I've never been in the position where I have to source my own. I figured that installation price would have included anything else needed to make my car work.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

there is no shim kit

there are ~ 14 different shim sizes as I mentioned...the ones your car needs can only be determined with everything apart. They are available from any Nissan dealer
Old 07-04-2009, 09:16 AM
TCO

The only thing that may hold up install is measuring and ordering the proper shims when setting backlash on the ring and pinion.
hmmm ... i hope my quaife will arrive the next days ... i have to send it back, because they sent me the diff for the base model *grrr* ...

but back to topic ... can anyone explain me, what shims i have to order (my car is an my2007) ... thanks!

thomas
Old 07-04-2009, 09:06 PM
INTIMAZY

You won't know until you open it up. You may be able to get by without it.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:28 AM
TCO

You won't know until you open it up. You may be able to get by without it.
*puuh* no good infos ... okay, i will see ... thanks!

thomas
Old 07-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TCO
hmmm ... i hope my quaife will arrive the next days ... i have to send it back, because they sent me the diff for the base model *grrr* ...

but back to topic ... can anyone explain me, what shims i have to order (my car is an my2007) ... thanks!

thomas

should have told me, could have sent it with your other goodies
Old 11-02-2009, 08:28 PM
2fasst

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the attached picture, the driver's side shaft has a circlip. Does anyone know if the right axle shaft would also need a circlip ordered? One was not included in my Quaife unit that just arrived. Thanks Z1!

By the way, I ordered all new shims, yup all 14 x 2 of them! just to minimize downtime.
Attached Thumbnails Quaife LSD install issues?-spline.jpg  
Old 11-03-2009, 04:05 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

your best bet is picking up a factory service manual for your year car - I'm not sure on the output shaft clips or not, sorry
Old 11-03-2009, 04:53 AM
Z_ology

Originally Posted by 2fasst
According to the attached picture, the driver's side shaft has a circlip. Does anyone know if the right axle shaft would also need a circlip ordered? One was not included in my Quaife unit that just arrived. Thanks Z1!

By the way, I ordered all new shims, yup all 14 x 2 of them! just to minimize downtime.

The driver's side shaft is the only one that should have a clip. The passenger side does not have one. So you are good to go!

Quick Reply: Quaife LSD install issues?