Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Quaife LSD install issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:14 AM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Quaife LSD install issues?

I bought a Quaife LSD new a few months back and finally got around to installing it. Its at a reputable shop right now but the passenger side stub axle will not fit into the LSD. The car is a 2006 6mt with factory VLSD. The first arrow shows what point the shaft gets hung up on and wont slide in further. The second pic is the galley where it gets stuck. Are there different stub axles for different year 350z's? I know of the 3 different automatic/base/VLSD variants. HELP!
Attached Thumbnails Quaife LSD install issues?-cut-long-shaft.jpg   Quaife LSD install issues?-lsd-galley.jpg  
Old 05-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Done Deal DR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Quaife LSD is a direct drop in for base model Z's. You have a VLSD which means you need the stub axle's from a base Z.

Truth hurts.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:24 PM
INTIMAZY

That model is for the factory VLSD cars, or so thats what the vendor here says. I am aware that there was only 1 option before, requiring base stub axles, but sometime earlier this year, auto and VLSD compatible units were added. I was wondering if anyone had come across the same issue.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Done Deal DR
That Quaife LSD is a direct drop in for base model Z's. You have a VLSD which means you need the stub axle's from a base Z.

Truth hurts.

if you don't know what you're talking about, you probably shouldn't be replying to such threads
Old 05-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

what's the part # on the diff you got? yes there are several different output shaft variants depending on build date
Old 05-19-2009, 05:05 PM
INTIMAZY

Qdf-13l

Originally Posted by z1 performance
what's the part # on the diff you got? Yes there are several different output shaft variants depending on build date
Attached Thumbnails Quaife LSD install issues?-quaife-box-with-hand-writen.jpg  
Old 05-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

that's the right part #

could be mis-boxed (I've never seen it happen but anything is possible). Check the diff and see if there are stampings on it

if not, you've just discovered your car is a bit of an anomoly (usually its the 07 + cars that have this issue) and you're going to need to purchase 1 output shaft. I forget off the top of my head which one requires changing though. I have the info on my desktop at the shop if you want to call me tomorrow
Old 05-19-2009, 05:23 PM
INTIMAZY

I appreciate the help Z1! I will definitely call you first thing. The problematic side is the passenger side (right) stub axle. The driver side fit just fine as far as I know. Do you have that stub axle available in stock? If so I'll pick it up and pay cash or kidney, whichever you prefer!! This problem has been haunting me and my shop for several days now.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:51 PM
kramykram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a set of non vlsd axle stubs ill sell ya for 30 shipped.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 AM
INTIMAZY

pm me with your fastest shipping available quote kramy to 10306 and your paypal.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Done Deal DR

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
if you don't know what you're talking about, you probably shouldn't be replying to such threads
I'm sorry, last I checked they only made the drop in diff for the base models, and I was making and honest and sincere post not trying to be an ***, you should give the same treatment to me.

In the end he still has the same issue, the stub axle doesn't fit, so I don't know what to tell you.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:56 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

glad this is getting resolved.........

Everyone on the forum loves to be a tough guy, so chalk it up to interweb bullies.......

more often then none, the forums are the blind leading the dumb......but the more post the better and people like the OP can find the answers to what they need if the right response comes in at some point.......(usually the case, like this one)

Enjoy the hell outta your diff man.....

-J
Old 05-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Done Deal DR

I still think the fix is going to be a base stub axle...keep us updated OP.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:15 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

yes it is........
Old 05-20-2009, 10:25 AM
INTIMAZY

Do you know this for certain Jason? It's very misleading on Quaife's part if I do in fact need the base output shafts since that model LSD is supposed to swap right in. From what Z1 auto, Z1 motorsports, Advanced Race Technology, Motorvicity (who apparently does not provide support here in the US) and Autotech have told me, this "should" swap right in but it clearly DOES NOT fit. The shaft needs about 1mm of machining in order to fit.
Does anyone know specifically what the difference in Base vs VLSD output shafts is? I'm hoping its thinner at the point on my first picture. Otherwise, I may have an uphill battle with Quaife and/or the vendor since it will not fit.

Does anyone have base stub axles available, or know where to get them? The dealer said they can't find out the base stub axle part number I would need since they can only search for what I already have by VIN number (sounds like BS to me)

Last edited by INTIMAZY; 05-20-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:49 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

well, i have heard of what was posted in post #7.

if not, you've just discovered your car is a bit of an anomoly (usually its the 07 + cars that have this issue) and you're going to need to purchase 1 output shaft. I forget off the top of my head which one requires changing though. I have the info on my desktop at the shop if you want to call me tomorrow

best bet is to get a single base stub axle and compare......that one guy selling them for 30 bucks is a pretty good deal, but i know you can find one from a junk yard easily...heck you can go remove it and just "look at it" with out even buying it or compare.........the yard my bark for wasting their time if you dont buy it, but most likely thats all you need.

-J
Old 05-20-2009, 12:42 PM
INTIMAZY

I actually found another guy selling 2 output shafts + an open diff for just 10 bucks more. Worst case, I have an extra open diff laying around.

My shop (RIPP MODS in Staten Island NY) has been FANTASTIC and is working with the main US distributor of Quaife to find out what's going on. Hopefully, I can get the unit replaced since there's no doubt to my installers that this unit is not for my car.

I'll keep my vendor's name out of this, but he has not been useful in this case and has been difficult to contact, at least for me. As a site sponsor, I thought he would have a more active role in my issue.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:43 PM
INTIMAZY

Update::::
RIPP MODS has managed to get hold of the main distributor of Quaife (since the site sponsor I bought it from is still MIA) and has convinced them to send a free, brand new unit, with overnight shipping. Tomorrow, hopefully, my nightmare will end as long as everything on the new unit bolts up properly!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:51 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

cool...so they are sending a new quaiffe lsd that will work with the axles you have? so was it boxed wrong??
Old 05-22-2009, 08:28 AM
TCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm ... this thread is very interesting, because i bought a quaife for my MY07 with VLSD, too.

as i ordered it in england, len of quaife told me that i have to shorten my driveshafts ... here the text of the email and the attachment:

There is a mod required to the drive shafts, see attachment. The ATB unit is just the carrier so the crown wheel needs to be fitted to it.
Len

Kind regards
Len Unwin
Quaife Technical Sales

www.quaife.co.uk info@quaife.co.uk
R.T. QUAIFE ENG LTD, Vestry Road, Otford, Sevenoaks, Kent. TN14 5EL England
Tel 01732 741144 | Fax 01732 741555 | Email info@quaife.co.uk | www.quaife.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 10 March 2009 19:33
To: Len Unwin
Subject: Re: RE: Quaife: enquiry

hi len!

thanks for your answer, but i have a last question ... my car has the viscous diff and in that way i have to choose the QDF13L ... do i need something special (other screws, gaskets, etc.) or comes everything with the unit, so it is just plug and play?!

thanks, thomas
and here is the attachment, that told me to shorten my driveshafts ...

until now the quaife haven't arrived, but i don't know if i will have the same problems ... btw ... i ordered that one:

http://www.quaife.co.uk/Nissan-350Z-...D-differential

thank's for your feedback!

thomas from austria

Quick Reply: Quaife LSD install issues?