Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NISMO Sports Resetting Part 2... video, reviews, and pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 04:40 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NISMO Sports Resetting Part 2... video, reviews, and pics

First Review

This review includes a video… a NSMO Z that includes the sports resetting package, S1 suspension, and body mods. The reviewer is Japanese… and excellent.

Here is the link – followed by the translation…. It is a super, 3 minute video with sounds and movement.. To access the link….
1/ click on the link below
2/ the video link can be accessed by clicking the bar between the guy giving the thumbs up over the engine bay and the Z cockpit.

http://www.carmode.net/webspecial03/workstune/index.php

Translation of the above driving review...

1. Engine response is excellent.
2. Fast
3. I have been in the Z several times before.. this is the first time to experience such a light feeling.
4. Turbo tuning is now the main focus in Japan.
5. The NA Z could never compete with a turbo. However, because of continuing government regulations, the NA engine will be the focus of sports tuning in the future, I believe.
6. The sports resetting package has immediate response.
7. The NA engine has its own charm.
8. The feeling --- immediate engine response..peak power...power feeling...
and high torque feeling.
9. The S1 suspension is very good and able to handle the changes to the road.
10. The power feeling with the sports resetting is very natural.
11. Overall feeling and attitude are very European

Second Review

One reviewer wrote….” To pay that much money for the sports resetting package, how much satisfaction do you get ?”

Modifications to the ECU are easy on turbos to obtain maximum torque and HP. However, ECU gains on N/A are very difficult.

Many people are dissatisfied with engine response up to 3,000 RPM.
The original ECM was set to a “power save” mode to obtain maximum gas mileage and be conservative on overall performance.. However, the overall engine response, the slow feeling of low RPM, the slow feeling of moving up to the 3,0000 RPM band has been a major point of dissatisfaction with those people who seek more.

The main purpose of the Sports Resetting Package is to ..

1/ smooth out the RPM windup
2/ increase torque
3/ achieve maximum HP output
4/ achieve an overall sports car sound

The opinion of the reviewer (and mine as well)… the engine response is improved dramatically.

The ECM… gets turbo-like maximum HP/torque response. ECM improvements on N/A engines are very difficult to get good results… but the NISMO ECM does an excellent job.

Third Review..

The engine response is improved dramatically. The power transfer to the clutch is excellent and timing loss is decreased. The engine spins very smoothly until hitting the rev limiter…and the sound is absolutely excellent.

According to NISMO. The max HP was not changed that much. However, in this reviewer’s opinion (and mine as well), the maximum acceleration was really improved.

This is the S1 tune. There is an R1 ECM out there being tested. However, there are technical problems with the R1 regarding cooling (and as also posted by someone in the ”my350Z” forum). As a consequence, the R1is not expected to be released soon.

The low-to-mid torque is improved dramatically with very sharp engine response. The reviewer was quite impressed.. since this the torque increase was felt right away. Engine torque is excellent. Overall feeling was light, smooth and fast.

My Impression After 600 miles driving the new Sports Resetting System

I have put over 600 miles on my Z since getting the “sports resetting package ” installed. I have done 3 road trips .. a beach sweeper to the outer islands of Japan, a mountain course with sharp, switchbacks, and a backroad twister course consisting of bumpy and easy-to-sharp curves.—all including some expressway travel.

I simply love it. The spool-up to around 3,400 RPM is smooth and quick. From 3,400 RPM flat up, the acceleration is terrific, fast, smooth, and the exhaust/sports cats get wild – the sound builds dramatically…and it is simply exhilarating as the speed comes on so quickly.

Initial impression is still the same… shifting is smoother, bam…hit the accelerator … spool up … bam – you are at redline. Shift.. the NISMO flywheel holds the revs… bam … hit the upshift around 3,500 – 3,800 RPM… bam…redline. Downshifting is smooth and effortless… the flywheel offering a lot less engine braking..

I would buy this system again in a heartbeat. Total satisfaction. !!!!

My initial impression as posted…https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=43304
Old 09-28-2003, 04:43 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default driving pic..#1

The ocean course... and sweepers ... right after a typhoon..
Attached Thumbnails NISMO Sports Resetting Part 2... video, reviews, and pics-driving-scene-1.jpg  
Old 09-28-2003, 04:46 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default Ocean course #2...

Ran into a convoy of RX-8 guys... nice group... but the leader of the pack will always be...
Attached Thumbnails NISMO Sports Resetting Part 2... video, reviews, and pics-my350-rx8-2.jpg  
Old 09-28-2003, 04:47 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default end of the ocean course..

The final ocean course destination...
Attached Thumbnails NISMO Sports Resetting Part 2... video, reviews, and pics-my350-z-ocean-background.jpg  
Old 09-28-2003, 04:50 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default next run... the mountain course..

Great run with a lot of twisties... flat out ,,,2 lane runs... brief stop at a rest area..
Attached Thumbnails NISMO Sports Resetting Part 2... video, reviews, and pics-my350-mountain.jpg  
Old 09-28-2003, 04:58 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bill, may i request high resolution?

mikewazowski@***.net

GREAT REVIEW!!!!! You are a high quality member!!

thanks,
victor
Old 09-28-2003, 05:29 AM
qcrobinson

Thanks very much for the follow up. You hearing anything about when the NISMO ecu might be ready for the US version cars?
Old 09-28-2003, 08:26 AM
StrictlyZ

Talking Thanks Bill

Bill,

I'm probably going to head over to Japan for the Tokyo Auto Salon in Jan. Any chance your going to be there Maybe I should hurry and get my international license lol

Thanks agian man!

Yuichi
Old 09-30-2003, 02:38 AM
jreiter

Default Beautiful pics

Someday I would *love* to visit Japan. I've never even been outside of the US, so I'm afraid I'm quite the newbie at world travel. The idea of visiting a country where I don't speak the language is so daunting! (Especially asian countries where a tall, goofy white guy like me would stick out like a sore thumb!)

On that note, I'd have to agree with Victor's post up above. Can you post (or make available) some high res pics of your trip? Cars aside, I would love to see some more pics from your trip if you have them. I'd love to see more of the area through which you drove. Where I live things are usually so dry that we simply don't get the lush greens that I'm seeing in your pics. I don't know if I'd be able to drive... so much great scenery!
Old 11-09-2003, 08:56 PM
ether

thought this might be interesting

http://www.zscafe.net/SportsRsetting.htm

in summary the car is dynoed before and after the resetting package and gains at least 30ps by his estimation, with power coming alive after 3,000 rpms..

Last edited by ether; 11-09-2003 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:13 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

don't forget the use of bablefish!

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

insert URL.. select Japanese->English. and click go!
Old 11-09-2003, 11:43 PM
ether

this one looks more daunting, but tends to produce better translations.

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/url

copy and paste the address then select the second option "日→英" and click the button.

for pages that for some reason it can't translate. try this one

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/text

copy and paste the text and again select the second option "日→英"