Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

CEL & Rasp/Gurgle @ 2.5K-3.5K RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 03:33 PM
djcetra

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CEL & Rasp/Gurgle @ 2.5K-3.5K RPM?

Shortly after I had my Catback Exhaust installed (Maybe 1-2 weeks) my CEL began to come on, I reset the code and it didn't come back on for another 1-2 weeks so until then I thought it was ok. About another 1-2 weeks pass and the CEL again comes on. I took it to Autozone for a scan and got the code:

P0455 Evap Control System gross Leak Detected

I replaced the gas cap hoping for a quick fix and cleared the code again.

2 Days later it comes back on during the day and then I smell something burning as I'm getting off the freeway, sure enough I was leaking oil. I have an extended warranty so I took it to the dealership and told them about the OBD code, they said they found a leak in the right gas valve or something (i have it written down) and that they replaced it.

Almost a week later and the CEL comes on again! The car hasn't been leaking oil anymore though since the visit to the dealership. I got the same code again. I've also noticed an odd rasp/gurgle noise around 2.5-3.5K RPM, it seems I lose power. After looking into the trouble code it hit me, I recall reading that when installing the Greddy Evo 2 Catback exhaust, relocation of the EVAP canister is required. I didn't do the install myself but I'm starting to think I have a leak or something from when they installed the exhaust? Does anyone know where I would look for this leak etc? I'd really like some help if possible. The noise wasn't as noticable until it really started to get hot here in Phoenix and I started using the A/C daily, I'm not sure if that's connected to the issue.

I took 2 short videos of driving, the first video you don't hear the wierd gurgle sound but the 2nd video i found a spot around the rpm range that it was consistant, I dunno if the quality of the vid is good enough for you to tell, you might have to turn the volume up..

Normal - http://www.nuthinbutrespect.com/car/good.mov

Bad - http://www.nuthinbutrespect.com/car/bad.mov

Thanks!

Last edited by djcetra; 07-06-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:02 PM
bbs350z

you have an evap leak. the system is extremely sensitive to leaks, so triple check it and make sure it is sealed thoroughly. also, check yu exhaust for leaks as well.

back when i was n/a i had the greddy evo2 with helix test pipes, and it was very very raspy. especially on deceleration.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:56 PM
vthao

The exhaust is probably hitting/rubbing against your evaporate system somewhere. If the Greddy system requires the relocation of your evaporate system and it hasn't been done, you should do this asap and then fix what the exhaust has done. The power loss you're feeling had nothing to do with the evaporate system, however.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:58 PM
djcetra

Originally Posted by bbs350z
back when i was n/a i had the greddy evo2 with helix test pipes, and it was very very raspy. especially on deceleration.
Well the exhaust sound itself is absolutely great, the 'rasp' i'm not sure where it's coming from, maybe drivers side under hood? I don't know for sure though because i have to be in gear and driving for it to happen.

Does anyone happen to know where the EVAP canister gets relocated to with the exhaust i have? i'm not even sure where to look. also, if there is anything specific i can use to help seal any leaks, suggestions appreciated.

Originally Posted by vthao
The exhaust is probably hitting/rubbing against your evaporate system somewhere. If the Greddy system requires the relocation of your evaporate system and it hasn't been done, you should do this asap and then fix what the exhaust has done. The power loss you're feeling had nothing to do with the evaporate system, however.
It probably is because I am hearing some rattling sometimes. The guys I had do the exhaust installation were aware that they needed to relocate the EVAP Canister so I'd hope they did so. Does anyone know where it is located on factory and after the evo 2 install? I'm not sure where to look.

Last edited by djcetra; 07-06-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:28 AM
bbs350z

the eva[ system should now be inbetween your exhaust canisters right behind your rear bumper (greddy supplies a bracket for you. in oem form it should be right behind the passenger side rear tire behind the plastics. in terms of sealing it, just make sure the hoses are all on tight, and protect them from the heat generated by the exhuast, you dont want those hoses melting.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:26 PM
djcetra

Originally Posted by bbs350z
the eva[ system should now be inbetween your exhaust canisters right behind your rear bumper (greddy supplies a bracket for you. in oem form it should be right behind the passenger side rear tire behind the plastics. in terms of sealing it, just make sure the hoses are all on tight, and protect them from the heat generated by the exhuast, you dont want those hoses melting.
Cool I'll take a look tomarrow when the sun is out. Is it a black box (plastic) looking? If so I know what you're talking about. I'll post up my findings when I check it.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:33 PM
djcetra

Well, so far it doesn't sound like there is any leak coming from the EVAP canister or hoses.. I checked all of them and they're tight. It seems like the problem really begins when the cooling system under the hood starts up and it's really hot. It never does it when I first drive the car, only after it has heated up etc.. It also kind of sounds like it's coming from the drivers side under the hood possibly, I can feel a very slight vibration coming through the gas pedal when it happens..

Any other ideas?