Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Premature Clutch DEATH

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WUTARAG
This is going to sound stupid but where is the engine dampner?
unless you have an aftermarket one installed, there isn't one

the stock flywheel cannot be resurfaced as it is a dual mass unit - it is either reused, or replaced
Old 08-20-2009, 03:26 PM
WUTARAG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks - I appreciate the advice.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:16 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
unless you have an aftermarket one installed, there isn't one

the stock flywheel cannot be resurfaced as it is a dual mass unit - it is either reused, or replaced
what does it do when you resurface it? it took the machine shop 20 minutes to resurface mine and with my stage 4 clutch it's working perfect.

They did say it was a "stepped" flywheel so they had to set the machine up a different way and they are the only ones in town that do stepped flywheel. I tried to check around at other places but they only did flat flywheels.

The reason it says to replace is like every other luxury car on the market. It's how they get a high safety rating and maintenance rating. They say you can't resurface the rotors either because they are "out of spec" as soon as touch the brake pedal once. What makes infiniti/nissan steel rotors different from chevy? Nothing. You replace them with an aftermarket and you can resurface them but the stock ones you can't? it's money making and marketing.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:19 PM
binder

Originally Posted by WUTARAG
So you were able to have the stock flywheel resurfaced? I'm guessing I missed something and that you already have an after market flywheel with all the HP you are running.
The guy at JWT was telling me that they don't resurface the stock ones due to the design and that I would need the flywheel.
Stock resurfaced. It only had 3k miles on it when i pulled it out to resurface but i just couldn't in good heart put a new clutch on a flywheel that has been touched by another clutch.

I refuse to put an aluminum flywheel with a high friction, high clamping force puck clutch. Especially when I hot lap at the drag strip all the time and will do 2 or 3 runs with only the amount of time it takes to drive back to the staging lanes between them.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by binder
what does it do when you resurface it? it took the machine shop 20 minutes to resurface mine and with my stage 4 clutch it's working perfect.

They did say it was a "stepped" flywheel so they had to set the machine up a different way and they are the only ones in town that do stepped flywheel. I tried to check around at other places but they only did flat flywheels.

The reason it says to replace is like every other luxury car on the market. It's how they get a high safety rating and maintenance rating. They say you can't resurface the rotors either because they are "out of spec" as soon as touch the brake pedal once. What makes infiniti/nissan steel rotors different from chevy? Nothing. You replace them with an aftermarket and you can resurface them but the stock ones you can't? it's money making and marketing.
The reason they say it can't be resurfaced is because it's not a single mass flywheel. Our cars have 2 piece flywheels. If a shop did it for you, I wish you luck. "They" being Nissan (factory service manual) does not say you can't resurface rotors, at least the FSM doesn't say that. A dealer might, but that's a dealer...that's part of their job

MOVEMENT AMOUNT OF FLYWHEEL (M/T MODELS)
CAUTION:
Do not disassemble double mass flywheel.
Movement Amount of Thrust (Fore-and-Aft) Direction
 Measure the movement amount of thrust (fore-and-aft) direction when 100 N (10.2 kg, 22 lb) force is
added at the portion of 125 mm (4.92 in) radius from the center of flywheel.
 If measured value is out of the standard, replace flywheel.
Movement Amount of Radial (Rotation) Direction
Check the movement amount of radial (rotation) direction as follows:
1. Install bolt to clutch cover mounting hole, and place a torque wrench on the extended line of the flywheel
center line.
 Tighten bolt at a force of 9.8 N·m (1.0 kg-m, 87 in-lb) to keep it from loosening.
2. Put a mating mark on circumferences of the two flywheel
masses without applying any load (Measurement standard
points).
3. Apply a force of 9.8 N·m (1.0 kg-m, 87 in-lb) in each direction,
and mark the movement amount on the mass on the transmission
side.
4. Measure dimensions of movement amounts “A” and “B” on circumference
of flywheel on the transmission side.
 If the measured value is out of the standard, replace flywheel

You honestly could not pay me to have put that cut flywheel back in my own car if it were mine. The only proper way to do it, is to take the flywheel apart, which would involved replacing pieces that Nissan themselves does not even sell as components, and which clearly goes against the FSM.

Not every aftermarket flywheel is aluminum btw
Old 08-21-2009, 05:19 AM
binder

Ah, i see that point. This only had 3k on it so i doubt they had to take much off it. It was solid as can be with no movement so i doubt the damper was worn out on it.

I think fidanza and RPS both make a lightened chromoly flywheel. I thought about those but when we pulled it apart my flywheel looked good. Again, it was replaced 3k miles ago so it shouldn't have been destroyed.

Do you have other suggestions for a chromoly flywheel?
Old 08-21-2009, 05:54 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Fidanza, JWT, Clutchmasters, Spec - all are aluminum flywheels with a riveted friction surface. They don't get resurfaced, you simply replace the friction surface

ACT, Exedy, NISMO, JUN, are 1 piece, single mass, billet chromoly flywheels. These get resurfaced like any conventional flywheel does