Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Anyone have problems with the VDC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 08:16 PM
all_bark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have problems with the VDC?

I was doing some hard driving yersterday and the vdc (which was in off mode) shut off (re-engaged) and would not disengage again.

I usually drive with it off and when it automatically went back on and i could not shut it back off I thought to myself, WTF?

Next morning it worked again, no problem.

anyone else have this happen?
Old 10-10-2003, 09:24 PM
specialp

yes this happens to me too after messing arond with VDC off for a bit. sometimes it comes on freezes and and says slip constantly. if you shut off your car and restart it it will be fine.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:56 AM
keiffer953

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow never even tried to turn it off, guess I will try it now just to see. But yes shutting the car off will defintely reset it.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:25 AM
Akira

VDC can be turned off, but it will still kick in when it detects hard braking while turning at the same time.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:38 AM
jelledge

Default VDC Off Button

Sounds like if you really want to shut off the VDC you would need to disconnect the accelerometer in the center console. Hey you could use the open switch blank in the center console for that...hmmmmm.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:39 PM
D'oh

Originally posted by Akira
VDC can be turned off, but it will still kick in when it detects hard braking while turning at the same time.
I've heard a few people say this, but I don't believe it to be true.

I think all people are feeling is the ABS kicking in when the front starts to plow a bit. Once the fronts start to slide sideways, they will lock up and the ABS will activate, even if you are braking very lightly.

I've experienced this on the track and AutoX when I go too quickly into a corner, and the reason I don't believe it to be VDC is because the engine power does not seem to get pulled (I've jumped on the gas right afterwards to experiment).

Why do you believe that VDC still activates?

-D'oh!
Old 10-13-2003, 07:29 AM
all_bark

well with me the vdc light that goes on when you shut it off went out. As in the vdc was back on again. when I pushed the button again to turn it back off it would not engage (or disengage).

I had to actually turn the car off and then back on before I could shut the vdc back off again.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:03 PM
D'oh

Originally posted by all_bark
well with me the vdc light that goes on when you shut it off went out. As in the vdc was back on again. when I pushed the button again to turn it back off it would not engage (or disengage).

I had to actually turn the car off and then back on before I could shut the vdc back off again.
I've never had that happen, but I did have the opposite happen a couple times.

I spun out once at Laguna Seca, and the dash lit up like a Christmas Tree. I had been driving with VDC off, and I have no idea if it was still working after the spin since I had to pit. By the time the next session came around the car was back to normal and I was back to lapping with VDC off.

I also had the Slip Light come on when I was commuting (this time with VDC on). The performance didn't change, and no brakes were applied, and I drove the rest of the way in without any issues. I'm guessing this event was due to the ECU dealio that Cheston mentioned once before.

Neither case matches what happened to you though, so I'm not sure what's up with your car.

-D'oh!
Old 10-13-2003, 11:26 PM
Akira

In the best motoring video, they said that the VDC can not be fully turned off because it is controlled by the LSD. So even with the VDC off, the car will try to straighten out it self when it detects braking while turning. But as long as you don't press on the brake, the VDC will stay off. That is the only way you can drift the car. If you use the brake right before or during drifting, the VDC will kick in and straighten out it self.