Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

anyone know anything about our fuel pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:40 PM
plusONETEN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone know anything about our fuel pumps?

So my current project is a vq35hr powered s13. i got a wrecked '08 and in bringing everything over. That way i dont have to deal with so much electrical crap.

My uncle has done lots of custom gas tanks for old cars, so he helped us modified my fuel tank to fit the 350z fuel pump and sending unit. (240sx has 1 sensor/pump, where the 350z has 1 pump and 2 sensors)

Anyways, the pump looks basically like this:

i dont actually know that much about fuel pumps, but it looks like it has sort of a built in surge tank, or something, because theres kinda a little spring loaded cup that surrounds the bottom of the pump unit and is sprung to the bottom of the tank. My tank is modified so that it will sit on the bottom as well...

anywas, there are 2 pickup points for the gas... one is a little hole on the bottom of the pice itself, and the other is this little hose, that in the 350z, gets ran over to the other half of the tank.

Now I am curious as to what i should do here, because the 350z tank has 2 halves with a high spot in between, and my tank is flat on the bottom.

I was wondering if these fuel pickps are the type where just one has to be submerged, or both have to be submerged.

because if its both, i'll just have them both pick up from relatively the same area, and if its one-or-the other, i'll have to run the hose to the other side of the tank...

anyways, please explain to me if you know anything because i dont know what the hell im doing here.

thanks!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Mint Racer

ok the hose that runs to the other side of the tank on the Z takes the gas from there and deposits it into the side of the tank that the pump is in. just to be safe id say just put both in the tank, side by side works
Old 10-19-2009, 03:32 PM
plusONETEN

Ah, thanks, that is good to know.

However, i have another concern. What happens if i turn left? all the gas will slosh away from the pump very easily, especially considering the tank design. Was i correct im my guess that the cup at the bottom functions as sort of a surge tank? How much is in there/ how long will it last?

If that hose brings it over to the side with the pump, how does it function? the fuel that goes into the black hose from the other side comes out where? does it go directly into the little cup thing? if so, perhaps mounting the two in different locations would be better....

EDIT: FYI the side with the custom riser is the pump side, and the other side just gets a sending unit. The tank was too tall for the pump to sit correctly on the tank bottom. Theres an extra thickness under my pump too, just for safety's sake and because the 350z had one.
Attached Thumbnails anyone know anything about our fuel pumps?-img_0495.jpg   anyone know anything about our fuel pumps?-img_0486.jpg  

Last edited by plusONETEN; 10-19-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Mint Racer

yea from looking at ure tank id go with the two different locations. as to size of the surge tank i dont know. and i dont really know what the black tube dose with the gas after it brings it over. is there any other holes to let it drain out? post up any pics of the pump ure using.
ive taken tanks out of corvettes, they have the same style tank. but i havent had a reason yet to remove my fuel pump on my Z, so any pics or a cell phone vid will help!