Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Question about my supercharger and intake...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Katana

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question about my supercharger and intake...

Ok, so I've got a supercharger and an intercooler. My question is, where does the actual air intake come from? My supercharger seems to have a airfilter right on it, but I thought that air comes in through the supercharger?
The reason I'm asking this is because I've seen some guys with a supercharger and intercooler yet they have the cutout on their bumper on the right side which makes it look like a ramair style setup.... I kinda want to do this but don't know if it makes any sense. Also if I do this, where to I get the cutout insert?
Old 10-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Lee R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-24-2009, 04:31 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Katana
My supercharger seems to have a airfilter right on it, but I thought that air comes in through the supercharger?
Ding ding ding, lights are on but i don't think anyone is home.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:50 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u are confusing the hell out of me...what kit do u have, did u buy new or used and is it a complete kit? start there
Old 10-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Katana

I bought the car used. I just dont understand the flow of the system.... **** instead of being jerks you can explain or post a link!
Old 10-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Lee R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the car used. I just dont understand the flow of the system.... **** instead of being jerks you can explain or post a link!
Most people would research what they are buying before actually doing it. Here ya go....http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/contact.php
Old 10-24-2009, 05:39 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so u bought a F.I. car without knowing a thing about it..wow...anyway if u posted what was on the car it would be much easier to point u toward one ot the 300 links on this site including F.I. for beginners and all different vortech threads if thats what u have..use the search button...the filter is attached to the blower and thats where the air is sucked in it is then charged through the intercooler and forced into the engine...there is a ton if info if u search
Old 10-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Katana

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
so u bought a F.I. car without knowing a thing about it..wow...anyway if u posted what was on the car it would be much easier to point u toward one ot the 300 links on this site including F.I. for beginners and all different vortech threads if thats what u have..use the search button...the filter is attached to the blower and thats where the air is sucked in it is then charged through the intercooler and forced into the engine...there is a ton if info if u search
Thank you, that's what I figured was going on. And so what if I bought a FI car without knowing much about it? I'm sure people buy lots of things without knowing EXACTLY how they work.... ever bought a microwave? How about a TV? I bet most people couldn't explain the exact functional dynamics of those two things yet I'm sure most people here own them....
Old 10-25-2009, 11:24 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you fabricated a pipe, you can relocate the airfilter to anywhere you desire. On the roof, inside the car, or even behind the cutout in the bumper.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:12 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
if you fabricated a pipe, you can relocate the airfilter to anywhere you desire. On the roof, inside the car, or even behind the cutout in the bumper.
Correct. Think of the supercharger as a compressor. The source of the air comes from some inlet. Location unknown. Believe the bumper hole you are talking about is the Varis air duct. You can move the air inlet behind the duct opening.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:20 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you, that's what I figured was going on. And so what if I bought a FI car without knowing much about it? I'm sure people buy lots of things without knowing EXACTLY how they work.... ever bought a microwave? How about a TV? I bet most people couldn't explain the exact functional dynamics of those two things yet I'm sure most people here own them....
Be cool.

Think about it. Compressed air is hot. Think of the intercooler as a aftercooler. Works like a radiator. Cools air after it is compressed.