Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

03 trans issue. arming myself for dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:20 PM
boosted99gst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 trans issue. arming myself for dealer.

I did a quick search and have found plenty of owners who have had issues with thier 3rd gear synchros failing on them. Would like some factual information incase there's an issue at the dealership.

I have an extended warranty that I purchased at Carmax when I bought my Z. My powertrain is covered until 110k miles, etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that Nissan never had a TSB or recall for the '03 trans, yet they came out with a revised version of it? My trans has the same problems many other have claimed (grinds third at high revs, box is very notchy). Considering the warranty isn't through Nissan I don't know if the dealership would try to deny my claim, instead I'd assume they'd want the business if they aren't footing the bill. Either way I'd like to get some more information on the matter before I go in on Weds.

If someone could link me to anywhere that has more information listed other than the 3 threads that popped up when i searched "2003 transmission" I'd greatly appreciate it. Or share your own experience if you've had the same issues. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:30 PM
boosted99gst

anyone?
Old 11-24-2009, 04:41 AM
halfass872

I have never bought a car from carmax. But it has been my experience, through friends that have, that they will send your car to the nearest Nissan dealer to get looked at/repaired. Carmax themselves won't mess with much more then minor work, and tune ups. And the dealer more then likely will just replace it vice waste their time trying to fix your current tranny.

Did you REALLY do a good search?? Come on man, there are a million threads on this issue. Hell, do a google search!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:06 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Since the car is out of factory warranty, the dealer has nothing to do with your extended warranty coverage. That will be up to the company that sold you the coverage to decide. All they are going to do is ask the dealer if there is a problem or not, if there is a problem and it's covered, then they'll pay. If it's not covered, then you'll pay.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:19 PM
krnzzang84

i had grinding 3rd and 5th gear, at 37,000. factory warrentee covered it, $5600 for new transmission and labor! i doubt that carmax will cover it!!! good luck
Old 11-24-2009, 04:52 PM
boosted99gst

Thanks Dave. The more i think about it, the better i feel. There is an undeniabble problem with the synchros. Carmax is not the one responsible for the damages either, it's a 3rd party warranty company called mrclaims I believe. My policy states that my transmission is covered, and considering everything is going to be done over the phone, I feel it should be covered. I doubt Nissan would try to deter the company from covering the damages considering they will be getting paid to do the work.

Either way I'll have the absolute answer tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:13 PM
04fairlazdyz
LOW N SLO

we get carmax's trash all the time. they know jack sh*t about cars!
Old 11-25-2009, 02:28 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by boosted99gst
mrclaims

Let us know!! I want to know what Mr Claims has to say about it, sounds reputable, LOL!!
Old 11-25-2009, 03:21 AM
boosted99gst

lol halfass...it's not Mr. Claims

the website is mrclaims.net/b2c if you want to look them up.

Appointment at dealership is in two hours. I'll post after i drive my lower than base model focus or cobalt home from enterprise.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:30 AM
halfass872

lol halfass...it's not Mr. Claims

the website is mrclaims.net/b2c if you want to look them up.

Appointment at dealership is in two hours. I'll post after i drive my lower than base model focus or cobalt home from enterprise.
LOL

Be aware, even if they put a CD009 tranny in, it may still go bad again. I went through three before i got one installed that has lasted! So hopefully they will be this cool if new one dies. But i'm pretty sure Nissan will warranty it for so many months and miles since they are installing it. My second tranny died in less then 2000 miles after Nissan installed it!

Good luck!!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:07 PM
boosted99gst

Well in true dealership fashion...they let my car sit until roughly 4pm. When I dropped it off, I also handed them a list of things I wanted them to inspect, and sure enough everything listed needed to be replaced.

I need a new trans, new clutch, front driverside hub assembly, a door stryker, door handle, windshield wiper linkage, and under recall they are replacing the fuel vapor lines.

My contact in the service department said he had tried a few times to contact my warranty company but wasn't able to stay on hold long due to new customers showing. I guess Friday will tell the tale on what they are going to cover. I dont think there's a warranty company in the world who covers clutches. Sucks my girlfriends birthday just ran me dry and Christmas is soon approaching.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:56 PM
halfass872

Well in true dealership fashion...they let my car sit until roughly 4pm. When I dropped it off, I also handed them a list of things I wanted them to inspect, and sure enough everything listed needed to be replaced.

I need a new trans, new clutch, front driverside hub assembly, a door stryker, door handle, windshield wiper linkage, and under recall they are replacing the fuel vapor lines.

My contact in the service department said he had tried a few times to contact my warranty company but wasn't able to stay on hold long due to new customers showing. I guess Friday will tell the tale on what they are going to cover. I dont think there's a warranty company in the world who covers clutches. Sucks my girlfriends birthday just ran me dry and Christmas is soon approaching.

Sorry to hear!!

Too bad you're out of factory warranty. The dealer installed a new clutch and flywheel at no cost to me when they replaced my first tranny. I was told that Nissan has them do that so people won't try to blame the bad tranny for clutch wear, it's easier to just replace while they are under there and charge it to warranty work. Also i'm pretty sure they came out with a TSB abotu this. But it was only if the owner came in complaining about the symptoms. If you do a search, i think it's posted on here somewhere way back when all this started happening.

Did they (the dealer) say if they planned on replaceing the whole tranny vice repairing it?

No offense but how did you not notice the clutch was bad when you bought the car?
Your story, and others like it, make me not want to ever go to Car Max!

Last edited by halfass872; 11-25-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:10 PM
boosted99gst

good question. I actually felt the clutch starting to slip recently, and decided I wanted to wait until after the holidays to get the money together for a clutch/flywheel combo before taking it to the dealer to have the trans issue addressed. I figured regardless if they opted to repair or replace the trans I could get the labor for the clutch/flywheel covered considering either way the trans was going to come out. Just a case of bad timing, every single person I know has a birthday this time of year, and then Christmas follows the next month.

I had stated that I needed a new door handle, and striker for the door. That's was caused this trip to the dealer ahead of what I had planned on doing. The striker had actually rotated downward and became an obstruction to the door closing, I removed the striker in order to close the door, but had the door bungied shut. needless to say the car needed to go in immediately. Considering I have a deductable per "trip to dealer" not one for each item repaired, I guess it only makes sense to have it all done in one shot.

My contact at service said that they wanted to replace the entire trans, now waiting on approval from warranty comapny if they can get ahold of them. I'm assuming the warranty company is going to want to send thier own adjuster out to verify the transmission needs replacement due to the cost. wish me luck!
Old 11-25-2009, 11:06 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wish you the best trying to get a transmission from mrclaims.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:32 AM
boosted99gst

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Davidv have u had experience with them in the past?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:21 AM
my-red-pony

I had the same story as you mid march, I bought 04 z33r used and got a 3 year extended from an ouside company. My 3rd and 5th went out aswell as my clutch, i took it to the local nissan dealership and asoon as they had a adjuster from the warrenty company come ouyt and inspect the car for abuse he approved it. All i paid was the $130 deductable!

bummer thing was i was pushing for them to put in the CD009 tranny and they would not approve it.

Hope your experiance went aswell as mine!
Old 12-01-2009, 02:34 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by my-red-pony
bummer thing was i was pushing for them to put in the CD009 tranny and they would not approve it.

I don't get it. The dealer is supposed to use whatever the latest revision is. No matter what they are replacing. There's a reason Nissan decides to revise parts. I don't understand why your warranty company would know, or even care what revision they used. From what i understand, the dealer is required to replace parts with the latest and greatest. That's why sometimes you'll go to get a part, and it will have been superceeded by another part #. It's not like they need to get rid of the old stuff first. They send it back to Nissan, and they get credit, or one for one swap for the new rev of said part.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:18 PM
boosted99gst

So here's the latest. The Warranty Group's (mrclaims.net) approved repairs on everything I listed. Replacing driver front hub assembly, trans, door handle, stryker, transmission, wiper linkeage and even approved my rear hatch struts to be replaced under warranty. I was suprised at hatch struts being covered as they are wear n tear. Side note on the trans is they approved a "like condition" tranny, meaning ill be getting a lower mileage used tranny...hopefully I wont be at the dealer with the same probs in a few thousand miles with the same issues as it's not the cd009 tranny.but all said n done, lots of new parts for $75..pretty satisfied.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:20 AM
halfass872

So here's the latest. The Warranty Group's (mrclaims.net) approved repairs on everything I listed. Replacing driver front hub assembly, trans, door handle, stryker, transmission, wiper linkeage and even approved my rear hatch struts to be replaced under warranty. I was suprised at hatch struts being covered as they are wear n tear. Side note on the trans is they approved a "like condition" tranny, meaning ill be getting a lower mileage used tranny...hopefully I wont be at the dealer with the same probs in a few thousand miles with the same issues as it's not the cd009 tranny.but all said n done, lots of new parts for $75..pretty satisfied.
Good deal!!

Hopefully if the "Like New" tranny dies, they will replace it with a new one. I can't see the dealer having a used tranny laying around tho.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:36 AM
boosted99gst

My contact at Nissan said they will be doing aused trans search for my tranny. Curious as to where they are going to obtain one from though, and how they will know it's condition. The stealership did try and sell me an OEM clutch/flywheel set for a mere $1600...or for only $1800 i could get a Nismo Clutch....needless to say i declined.

Quick Reply: 03 trans issue. arming myself for dealer.