Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

03 trans issue. arming myself for dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:18 AM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted99gst
My contact at Nissan said they will be doing aused trans search for my tranny. Curious as to where they are going to obtain one from though, and how they will know it's condition. The stealership did try and sell me an OEM clutch/flywheel set for a mere $1600...or for only $1800 i could get a Nismo Clutch....needless to say i declined.
That's surprising, i didn't think new car dealers delt with used parts.

Well the good thing is, since the Dealer is obtaining, and installing the tranny they (The Dealer) will have a standard limited warranty too (usually 6 months, 6,000 miles or whatnot). So if it does crap out, you just take it back to the dealer and you won't even have to get the insurance company involved!
Old 12-03-2009, 11:57 PM
gennosuke1

i was searching for clutch/ transmission problems and found this thread.

Why on earth would you or any logical person buy from carmax
Old 12-04-2009, 02:44 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by gennosuke1

Not everyone can afford a car from an actual Nissan dealer, being that a major dealer is only gonna have lower miliage used cars on the lot, thus more expensive. The cars at Carmax aren't the best, but they are better then you are gonna find at most used car lots. So it's still a step up in that sense.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:49 AM
gennosuke1

Originally Posted by halfass872
Not everyone can afford a car from an actual Nissan dealer, being that a major dealer is only gonna have lower miliage used cars on the lot, thus more expensive. The cars at Carmax aren't the best, but they are better then you are gonna find at most used car lots. So it's still a step up in that sense.
i dont know about you but the carmax close to me are all dumbasses. They will give you less than what your car is worth if you want to sell or trade your car in. Also you cant negotiate the price with them. This is why I dont like carmax. Maybe the one near you operates different?

Id still would have recommended to buy from private or dealer at least you can bargain with dealer

what are some of the problems you recognized for the trans problem? I think mine might be ging bad
Old 12-08-2009, 01:36 PM
boosted99gst

I knew everything was running too smoothly to be true...

So here's the update. My "like kind quality" transmission arrived on Friday afternoon. Nissan installed the trans yesterday and had a technician take it for a test drive. Turns out the grinding is evident on 2nd, 3rd, and 5th in the replacement transmission. Nissan contacts the vendor and the vendor trys to say that the problems are due to the clucth?? WTF are these guys smoking??

While waiting to hear from my warranty company to see what they were willing to do, my contact at Nissan decides to run the VIN off the transmission that they recieved. The transmission they recieved was from an 04 350z, it had been pulled for grinding issues and been replaced under warranty. So this trans was pulled due to grinding problems and resold to my warranty company by this shady vendor.

Service is closing now, so I guess I wont know anything until tomorrow, looks like a couple more days in the Kia Sedona..awesome.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:56 PM
boosted99gst

Originally Posted by gennosuke1

I was in the market for a Sunset LeMans 6MT. At the the time of my purchase there only 2 within 500miles. mine('03 with 37k), and an 05 with 53k. I did a carfax report and everything came up clean, also had maint. records as well. Carmax has a "no haggle" policy, I paid 2100 less than KBB for my car. Paying less than KBB on a vehicle with a clean carfax with flawless paint and interior is illogical because it came from Carmax?....that's like saying anyone who buys from a private seller is an idiot. Up until this trans/hub bearing replacement (2yrs and 13k later) there hasn't been a single problem. So why in the world was this in illogical decision? ur logic on this matter is whats questionable.

To answer your question further down. The problem was grinding at WOT shifts into 3rd gear. Failure is commonly related to the syncros/ forks.

Last edited by boosted99gst; 12-08-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Left something out
Old 12-08-2009, 03:12 PM
halfass872

I was in the market for a Sunset LeMans 6MT. At the the time of my purchase there only 2 within 500miles. mine('03 with 37k), and an 05 with 53k. I did a carfax report and everything came up clean, also had maint. records as well. Carmax has a "no haggle" policy, I paid 2100 less than KBB for my car. Paying less than KBB on a vehicle with a clean carfax with flawless paint and interior is illogical because it came from Carmax?....that's like saying anyone who buys from a private seller is an idiot. Up until this trans/hub bearing replacement (2yrs and 13k later) there hasn't been a single problem. So why in the world was this in illogical decision? ur logic on this matter is whats questionable.

To answer your question further down. The problem was grinding at WOT shifts into 3rd gear. Failure is commonly related to the syncros/ forks.
You still did better then me!! I won't even disclose the outrageous price i paid for my 03 LeMans Sunset in 06. But i, like you, was very specific in my color preference. And since there's no such thing a as used car factory where you can pick and choose, i asked myself "how bad do i want this". lol

I had a feeling you were gonna get someone elses bad tranny. The dealer should know enough to realize the clutch isn't gonna effect this. I highly doubt there is a Nissan dealer out there that hasn't replaced at least a few dozen Z transmissions by this point!
Old 12-08-2009, 05:04 PM
boosted99gst

I was sold on Sunset Lemans the second i saw it in the sun. No regrets, except for occasionally wishing I went with PPW, or saved up for an '07+.

I was kinda suprized to find this tranny was still in existance. Normally when a trans is pulled due to defect its sent back to Nissan to be remanufactured or recycled. So I wonder how this trans got yanked as a failed unit and somehow ended up at this salvage company. Shady.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:29 AM
halfass872

I was sold on Sunset Lemans the second i saw it in the sun. No regrets, except for occasionally wishing I went with PPW, or saved up for an '07+.

I was kinda suprized to find this tranny was still in existance. Normally when a trans is pulled due to defect its sent back to Nissan to be remanufactured or recycled. So I wonder how this trans got yanked as a failed unit and somehow ended up at this salvage company. Shady.
Yeah that is shady. Don't think it's the dealer's fault, but i bet the place they bought it from is gonna get burnt pretty bad!
Old 12-09-2009, 06:01 PM
boosted99gst

This just gets worse and worse...

The warranty company has decided that they want to tow the car from Nissan and send it to a transmission shop. Once my contact at Nissan informed me of this, I was on the phone instantly. After multiple people putting me on hold I get the claims manager.

He insists that they investigated the allegations of it being a "known problem" transmission and said there was no truth to them. He states that the trans has 0 miles on it and in fact came from a car deemed "totaled" while it was being shipped over from Japan (shipping damages). I asked him how a 0 mile tranny could be grinding. He countered with Nissan releasing a TSB about the slave cyl. needing to be replaced if my symptomns showed. He assured me all my problems would be solved once this was replaced. I'm positive its related to the syncros or forks/ not a hydraulic problem considering it's gear specific. Drivetrain guru's please chime in, I'll be the first to admit that I lack experience in this area. I have some homework to do on the matter I guess..

i was allowed to choose the shop the car goes to, and the claims manager waived my deductable, and extended my rental coverage. I have a feeling this is going to be a never-ending repair..FML

Last edited by boosted99gst; 12-09-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: I can't spell..
Old 08-04-2010, 08:14 AM
kirstynZ

I had the same issue and Nissan just keeps saying they don't know of that problem so they can't do anything but obviously it's a common issue so I gave up and my car is in the shop right now getting a new transmission