Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Results of Magnetic Oil Plug after 1500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 04:03 PM
Blue Liquid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Results of Magnetic Oil Plug after 1500 miles

During my first oil change at 1200 miles, I installed this Super Plug, with a powerful magnetic tip. I put Mobil 1 in during the first oil change, and again yesterday. My second oil change (yesterday) allowed me to observe what was stuck to the magnetic plug. I changed that oil out after ~2100 additional miles, so it's still pretty fresh. Mods, not sure where to put this thread. The first pic shows the gray/black paste on the very tip of the plug.

This next pic shows the view from the side.

This last pic shows the paste after I wiped it off onto a paper towel. It was like a metallic gray paste, and though you can't see it in the pics, there were two, almost imperceptable metal splinters sticking out from the side of the magnet, like a super-fine metal shaving. So this was the crap the filer couldn't catch. I just wonder how nasty the oil was from the factory when I changed it out at 1200 miles. I can't imagine those people's engines that leave the factory fill in for many thousands of miles.

Last edited by Blue Liquid; 10-20-2003 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:20 PM
FLY BY Z

THat's pretty avg. wear.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:40 PM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is this magnetic plug being sold?
Old 10-21-2003, 04:10 PM
Blue Liquid

These are made by a company called Super Plug. They're based in the south. Their website is http://www.superplug.com. You can also get these for your transmission fluid as well, which I also plan to do at some point. They cost $20. Don't be put off by the southern drawl, they make a good product. It's funny, when I called once i got the answering machine. Apparently, one of the owners is called Ziggy, so the machine says, "Leave a message, me and Ziggy are out hunting Bin Laden". Strange thing to put on a business answering machine, but hey, the plug rocks so that's all that matters. And this is one of the strongest magnets you'll ever see. It's hard to get it into the hole (sorry, ), because it keeps sticking to the surrounding oil pan.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:03 PM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

COOL, I've been looking for these. I'll have to order them in January when I change over to synthetic. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:57 AM
PropaGanda

"They cost $20. Don't be put off by the southern drawl, they make a good product."

What the hell is this? That is the most ignorant thing I have heard in a while. According to this statement, a southern drawl implies stupidity that can be temporarily overlooked in this case because the product is superior. Wow! I don't even know what to say...
Old 10-22-2003, 03:29 AM
GATORZ

"They cost $20. Don't be put off by the southern drawl, they make a good product."

What the hell is this? That is the most ignorant thing I have heard in a while. According to this statement, a southern drawl implies stupidity that can be temporarily overlooked in this case because the product is superior. Wow! I don't even know what to say..

People are so f***ing weak these days. Ever time someone makes a comment they feel slighted. GET A F***ING LIFE. This some one is stepping on my toes shi* is old. I don't think this comment was made to make it sound as though southern people are stupid....it's just an observation so you don't think you called the wrong place.

That's my $.02. Most of the time I have nothing to say especially flaming.....but I get so tired of reading threads that turn to this.

Last edited by GATORZ; 10-22-2003 at 03:31 AM.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:50 AM
Blue Liquid

Well PropaGanda, it was never my intention to put down anybody from the south. The first time I called I got the answering machine and thought to myself that there was no way I'd just called a business. Their website looks fairly professional (aside from having not a single email address with which to contact them). Then, when I did get in touch with someone, the guy on the phone, (Ziggy, perhaps?) told me he didn't know the bolt size for the 350Z and that he wanted me to call Nissan and find out, then let him know. What kind of place does that? Has the customer do their legwork? Then, after placing my order for the plug, the lady forgot to ship it, admitted this to me, and asked for my address to confirm it. She had it wrong. Anyway, after all that, I came to the conlcusion that this was some sort of backwoods, basement operation. Yet the quality of their product says otherwise. So yeah, I did think they were fairly stupid, but it didn't have anything to do with their being from the south. It was just them. Perhaps I should have worded it better.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:16 AM
PropaGanda

"Perhaps I should have worded it better."

Perhaps...

"People are so f***ing weak these days. Ever time someone makes a comment they feel slighted. GET A F***ING LIFE. This some one is stepping on my toes shi* is old. I don't think this comment was made to make it sound as though southern people are stupid....it's just an observation so you don't think you called the wrong place.

That's my $.02. Most of the time I have nothing to say especially flaming.....but I get so tired of reading threads that turn to this."

You know what I get tired of reading? Replies from guys, like yourself, that really have nothing to say but take a whole lot of words (and little stars ***) to do so. Quite annoying...

Got a little side tracked there. Here ya go, the thread is yours again.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:06 PM
reen

Default no biggie...

You can get a magnetic oil pan plug at almost any auto parts store or speed shop. They're not uncommon.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to stick a magnet onto a bolt, so sounds like you can be confident with your purchase
Old 10-22-2003, 04:50 PM
PropaGanda

"You can get a magnetic oil pan plug at almost any auto parts store or speed shop."

I knew they weren't that uncommon but I didn't know if the Z had some special size plug or something. By the way the thread began, it sounded like this was an exclusive product. So, what size plug would I need to look for (if there is a special size?)
Old 10-22-2003, 04:58 PM
Blue Liquid

I don't know what size my plug is. I can tell you that you will use a 19 mm socket to fit the head of the bolt. When I'm home, I'll look to see if the plug size is on the box it came in. In another car, I had a magnetic plug I purchased from Pep Boys. That one had an anemic magnet when compared to the Super Plug. I know $20 is a lot for a plug but I feel better about it when I compare it to a cheap one.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:03 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Exactly what does this magnetic plug do? Whats the difference between the magnetic and a regular plug other than they both plug the hole? No flaming intended!
Old 12-08-2003, 02:18 PM
Blue Liquid

The magnetic drain plug is used to hopefully catch abberant metal flakes or particles that would otherwise be missed by the filter and continue to be run through the cylinders, etc., and potentially accelerate engine wear. The plug that came with you car does not have a small magnet attached to the tip. One can purchase an aftermarket plug with a small magnet attached, as I have done. A fine metallic paste after a few thousand miles is normal wear, and nothing to be alarmed about. Large flakes or chunks of metal stuck to the plug mean there is something really wrong in there, and you may have time to correct the problem before catastophic engine failure.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:08 PM
markz

Default Maybe we can get a froup buy going

or see if we can get them to give us a special my350z.com price. At this low price we might be able to get a lot of people interested....

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Mark
Old 12-08-2003, 07:30 PM
alex30327

http://www.cgenterprises.com/drain_plugs_magnetic.htm

Here is a link I found that sells the same thing for 1/3 of the price. I wonder what the difference is?
Old 12-09-2003, 04:40 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Magnetic plug

The plug is sort of fun, but really the metal filings it catches would probably have been caught by the oil filter anyway.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:42 AM
g356gear

Our rear differentials have a magneitc plug already.....you should see the stuff that picks up.....especially after installing my KAAZ LSD. Definitely a good ounce of prevention for anthing with oil and metal on metal contact.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:21 AM
D_Nyholm

YOu can get the plug at autozone or pep boys. They are usually aobut $5. ANother thing that people do is put a large magnet INSIDE the oil pan. It sticks to the pan and grabs anything that goes by. The only problem is that you can't clean it off so it has to be big enough to last a while.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:56 AM
reiver

Originally posted by GATORZ

People are so f***ing weak these days. Ever time someone makes a comment they feel slighted. GET A F***ING LIFE. This some one is stepping on my toes shi* is old. I don't think this comment was made to make it sound as though southern people are stupid....it's just an observation so you don't think you called the wrong place.

That's my $.02. Most of the time I have nothing to say especially flaming.....but I get so tired of reading threads that turn to this.
Exactly! That's why I think Yankees are arrogant ******** by nature. Then they move down to the south and turn normally polite towns into road rage city. They believe being civil is a weakness. So don't feel bad when I say you are a ****ing moron. Don't be weak enough to reply. Retard.

Reiver

Quick Reply: Results of Magnetic Oil Plug after 1500 miles