Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

clutch question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:03 AM
dragon11689

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default clutch question...

Hey what's up guys? Here's what happened. One night, I was driving the Z home. I came around a merge. There were cars coming quick. I dropped the clutch but not too hard and it engaged perfectly meaning no burning of the clutch. I stepped on it hard though to accelerate. Although, I did spin tires quite a bit before I actually started going.

The clutch then felt stiffer than usual when depressing it. Nothing unusual other than that when driving it. When I stopped the car and tried to drive it again though, it was a job and a half to get it into gear when I had the clutch down. It felt like there wasn't full disengagement of the clutch. When I finally got it into gear, I let the clutch out slowly and heard a weird subtle whine when it engaged. I didn't want to drive it anymore due to the fact that I didn't want any further damage to ensue.

Any ideas as to what may have happened? I just finished doing a full clutch repair due to a bad input shaft a few months ago. It was fine until now. I checked for any clutch fluid leaks inside the car under the clutch pedal and in engine bay and no leaks. Clutch fluid is in between low and high which is fine. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Let me get this straight so I understand.

You say: “I dropped the clutch but not too hard and it engaged perfectly meaning no burning of the clutch.”

And then you say: “I stepped on it hard though to accelerate. Although, I did spin tires quite a bit before I actually started going.”

My Question: Wouldn’t the fact that “I did spin tires quite a bit before I actually started going.” mean that you dropped the clutch, and significantly strained the drive train?

My Guess: You bent the” thing-a-ma-jig” (maybe the throw-out bearing or whatever). The repair won’t be cheap.

--Spike
Old 01-06-2010, 07:44 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or the clutch fork could be wrecked....
Old 01-07-2010, 06:19 AM
dragon11689

hmmm...those are all possibilities although, from what I know, throw out bearing wont whine when disengaging...hope its not clutch fork, just got replaced a few months back...I'm wondering if it's either master or slave cylinder...I'm taking it in today...wish me luck...I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:00 PM
dragon11689

OK, it was a busted clutch...need to get a new one put in...I guess I may have had some wheel hop when spinning tires, so this is the result...glad it wasn't any worse...thanks for all the replies guys.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:10 PM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dragon11689
OK, it was a busted clutch...need to get a new one put in...I guess I may have had some wheel hop when spinning tires, so this is the result...glad it wasn't any worse...thanks for all the replies guys.
Sounds fishy. None of your symtoms and actions point towards a bad clutch. Who told you this? I dump my clutch regularly, and don't have any issues. In addition i'm FI with an all stock drivetrain.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:22 PM
AlwaysNBoost

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who did you clutch repair?
Old 01-11-2010, 04:46 AM
dragon11689

I brought it down to ATX Motorsports in Bergenfield, NJ. I usually bring it down there since I know they do a good job with the Z's. They always go the extra mile to help you out. Although I just had my clutch done a few months back, I was told that wheel hop to a certain extent would cause excessive strain on the drivetrain. I'm going to ask them to hold onto the old clutch so I can see it and send pics to ACT to see if it is indeed due to excessive wear or faulty clutch. I don't think my wheel hop was so excessive to the extent of breaking something. I used to do this all the time even with stock clutch and there were no issues.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:11 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Sucks bro, sorry to hear this... Is you're Z white? and are you from Morris county?
Old 01-13-2010, 04:44 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Spring came out of disk hub is my guess.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:31 AM
dragon11689

Originally Posted by AlwaysNBoost
Sucks bro, sorry to hear this... Is you're Z white? and are you from Morris county?
Yeah...is this Sal?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:37 AM
dragon11689

Ok...just found out when I got the original clutch back that it was not because of abuse...it is clearly a defect...forgive my terminology...

on the friction plate, there are metallic like fingers...these fingers somehow bent on one end of the plate but not on the other circular part of the pressure plate...

this caused the clutch disk to not fully disengage...so imagine when you hit the clutch pedal, only half of the disk at the bottom disengages but not at the top half...top half is still engaged...

the clutch disk has no abnormal signs of abuse...in fact in perfect new condition...just the top half is burnt because of the disengagement issue...the flywheel didnt even have to be resurfaced in order to put the new clutch in...this is how nice it was after 3-4 months of driving on the original disk...

I'm going to take pictures and bring this up with ACT...hopefully they will man up as a reputable company and reimburse me for the defective part...I'll keep you guys updated...will post pics as soon as I take them.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:46 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Originally Posted by dragon11689
Yeah...is this Sal?
Lol damn son putting out my government name like that lmao yes is this alavero....