Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

the missing gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:12 PM
redlinedifterzx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the missing gear

Ok this comes from personal experience but when pushing the z hard into the corners on the track its seems to me there should be another gear in between 2-3 i often find that 2nd gear is to slow for the long sweeping corners but good for the technical tight corners and 3rd gear is to high of a gear for the long sweeping corners instead of redlining it im often caught at around 4-5 rpms and have to break a lot harder without relying on engine braking which often through s me out of the corner. I don't claim to be the best driver around but it seems to me that there really should be another gear even professionals although i cant remember his name (Japanese) quotes the same thing
Would installing 3.9 fd gears help or does just more experience and better suspension all around make a better difference
Old 01-19-2010, 08:42 AM
vthao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MMhhmm...

There should not be a 2.5 gear

Better brakes = better braking
Old 01-19-2010, 03:37 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by redlinedifterzx
Ok this comes from personal experience but when pushing the z hard into the corners on the track its seems to me there should be another gear in between 2-3 i often find that 2nd gear is to slow for the long sweeping corners but good for the technical tight corners and 3rd gear is to high of a gear for the long sweeping corners instead of redlining it im often caught at around 4-5 rpms and have to break a lot harder without relying on engine braking which often through s me out of the corner. I don't claim to be the best driver around but it seems to me that there really should be another gear even professionals although i cant remember his name (Japanese) quotes the same thing
OK where to start. First, all tracks are different, and if your setting up a full track car you will probably have different gearsets for different tracks. If you want, yes you can change your gearset or since yours is still a street car , just change to a shorter rear tire 275/35-18 or 275/40-17 makes a very nice difference and similer to changing rear end ratios. Last, just learn to drive, and figure out what gear is actually faster thru those sections. I use the Torque of the VQ a lot, and move well around the track.

BTW brakes are for braking and clutch is for shifting. If you rely on eng braking to the point where it can effect your brakes. YOUR DOING SOMETHING VERY WRONG.