Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Bolt ons and cost of getting dyno testing

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:26 PM
lkallos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Bolt ons and cost of getting dyno testing

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone out there has a similar set up to below and if they have dynotested it? If so, what type of rwhp might I be pushing with the following bolt on mods:

'03 Touring

JWT Popcharger
Underdrive Pulley Kit
5/16" Plenum spacer
NLP Performance Module (essentially, a ecu piggyback chip)
Fidanza 15lbs Flywheel
XTD Stage 3 clutch

Also, if no one has dyno'd a Z with this set up, about how much would it run normally to get her on the dyno? Just trying to get a feel for a fair price for this. Thanks a bunch in advance!!
Old 02-12-2010, 05:28 PM
DB350

A "Popcharger"?

Got a pioneer here.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:31 PM
lkallos

Thumbs down

Popcharger = cold air intake

thanks for informative response... that was awesome..
Old 02-12-2010, 05:33 PM
DB350

I didn't know that a short ram intake = cold air intake

ty
Old 02-12-2010, 05:33 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

7 yrs and this is the best you could come up with?
Old 02-12-2010, 05:43 PM
TheFarmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lkallos
about how much would it run normally to get her on the dyno? Just trying to get a feel for a fair price for this. Thanks a bunch in advance!!
Call a few performance shops that do dynos in your area and then compare.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:46 PM
s31t8n8

how many stickers you got?? those mods aint gonna do sht for you, only stickers...
Old 02-12-2010, 05:48 PM
lkallos

Talking

DB,, if you knew what it was, why the initial ignorant response?

And the other dipshit.. I asked about rwhp, not your opinion on my car. If I had the means to blow my whole life into a vehicle, (people live in houses, not 2 seaters) I would already have the 15k engine build and new turbo kit with all the goodies. And I wouldn't be here trying to ask the knowledgable on this board a reasonably simple set of questions. Apparently, neither of you two knuckleheads know the answer, or your just bored.

Save the commentary,,, please answer the question(s) if you can,, if not, don't bother replying. Thanks a bunch...
Old 02-12-2010, 05:56 PM
s31t8n8

if you SEARCHED you would have realized that this question has been asked a million fukcing times. The only way to know is to take your car to a shop and get it dyno'd.

heres a tip, get rid of that underdrive pulley and get the other stock size lightweight
Old 02-12-2010, 06:28 PM
lkallos

Find the question I asked on the site (the same set up as my car) and show me the way. (link) No need for the language big guy. The underdrive lightweight I got is what stays. No stickers. That is too NJ for my taste Piscataway-boy. I'm not tracking the car,, I try to find enjoyment on my daily drives... and squeeze a bit more bang out of this vastly underpowered vehicle... again,, if you (meaning you or others whom might read this) don't have intelligent commentary, just shut your pie hole and move on, capiche?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

DB,, if you knew what it was, why the initial ignorant response?

And the other dipshit.. I asked about rwhp, not your opinion on my car. If I had the means to blow my whole life into a vehicle, (people live in houses, not 2 seaters)I would already have the 15k engine build and new turbo kit with all the goodies. And I wouldn't be here trying to ask the knowledgable on this board a reasonably simple set of questions. Apparently, neither of you two knuckleheads know the answer, or your just bored.

Save the commentary,,, please answer the question(s) if you can,, if not, don't bother replying. Thanks a bunch...
You can sleep in your but you can't race your house

You are being heckled because you clearly didn't search...and you have no "real" power mods besides the spacer and the po charger both are not huge gains you might make 10-20whp over stock with those mods. The only way to be sure is get it dynoed but if you didn't get it dynoed before you won't know what you gained only where you are now. With a Nismo cold air intake, skunk II spacer, Stillen dual exhaust and a SAFC (old skool piggy back) my car made 230whp on a Mustang dyno. Its probobly about $230 for a base line that usually means 3 dyno pulls.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 02-12-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:58 PM
rawley_12003

yeah man i didn't dyno my z either lol... no regrets i know i gained quite a bit my z is a base 04 z i have injen cai, kinetix plenum, ground wires, agency lightweight pulley stock size, strup headers, kinetix hfc, megan racing y-pipe, greddy ti-c single canister catback jwt clutch and aluminum flywheel, with nismo gt lsd diff, and a cobb ap stage 2+.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:06 PM
lkallos

Thumbs up

Thank you for the thoughtful response....

Though I did search and found the individual parts that were added and the quoted hp gains...both here and by the manufacturer... figure in losses due to powertrain... I have a round about number in my head of what the mods should add up to. But nothing more. I thought with so many Z's out there, maybe one owned by a member of this board might be set up like mine. And if that owner happened upon this post, I would win the lottery of that owner bestowing his/her knowledge upon me. Thats it. Pretty simple stuff. Confirmation in their results vs. where I think my car is power-wise.

Thank you for stating a "avg" $ figure for the dyno test. I will be shopping it soon but wanted to know a ball park before even starting into that research.

Much appreciated...
Old 02-12-2010, 07:23 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

10-20rwhp may even be a bit optimistic. The only mod there with true gains is the spacer. Many people (including myself but it wasn't a popcharger specifically) LOST power on the dyno from an intake. I don't think anyone on here managed to prove pulleys add rwhp. Clutch/flywheel is the same. I have no idea what this "chip" is but since you used the term "chip" and didn't use the words "dynotune" anywhere, I am very skeptical that it will do anything beneficial. I wouldn't bother putting it on a dyno until you get more done. Best bet is to wait for the summer when shops have dyno days if you REALLY want to get a number out of the car. May even get a free burger out of it! A local NJ shop (Spotswood) did 3 runs for $50 a few years back.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:00 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey were you the first forum member?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:21 PM
johnwigs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JWT doesnt sell anything that isnt dyno proven... and not with just 1 pull... everything is put into about 3 cars and if they dont all make power then jim dont put his name on it
(clutches dont add RWHP, throttle response and quicker shifting and longer life of the tranny)
Old 02-12-2010, 08:28 PM
lkallos

Thumbs up

Yeah,,, I was a jealous admirer unil 2 years ago... now I get to have fun too... :-) My fun is unfortunaely very limited.. family before metal

Oh yeah to the nice fella whom answered well before,

Can't race a house,,, but a house gives me a garage

Old 02-12-2010, 11:47 PM
*Boose*

Yeah,,, I was a jealous admirer unil 2 years ago... now I get to have fun too... :-) My fun is unfortunaely very limited.. family before metal

Oh yeah to the nice fella whom answered well before,

Can't race a house,,, but a house gives me a garage

There are hundreds of dynos with basic bolt ons. Run a search in the tuning section.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:23 PM
SLIdEwAyZ25

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone out there has a similar set up to below and if they have dynotested it? If so, what type of rwhp might I be pushing with the following bolt on mods:

'03 Touring

JWT Popcharger
Underdrive Pulley Kit
5/16" Plenum spacer
NLP Performance Module (essentially, a ecu piggyback chip)
Fidanza 15lbs Flywheel
XTD Stage 3 clutch

Also, if no one has dyno'd a Z with this set up, about how much would it run normally to get her on the dyno? Just trying to get a feel for a fair price for this. Thanks a bunch in advance!!
do you like your flywheel?

and rwhp anywere from 245 to 260.

probably alot closer to 245
Old 02-18-2010, 04:45 PM
lkallos

Angry

I just had the clutch and flywheel put in today. I have to take it back to the dealer, as there is a loud metallic banging when the car is engaged and under load going up a hill when the rpm is 1500-2500. Not sure if they didn't tighten something up correctly or what. One member on a dif thread mentioned that this is a normal thing (the "chatter") with my set up. I expected some chatter but it sounds like my tranny gonna drop out from under me (like 2 thick pieces of sheetmetal banging together loudly). I feel the chatter I expected engaging 1st and 2nd gear through the pedal. But that noise while it is already engaged at that RPM mentioned earlier is kinda scary sounding. Hope they can fix the issue tommorrow. Will update with more details then.

Quick Reply: Bolt ons and cost of getting dyno testing