VQ35DE vs. 2JZGE

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003 | 12:40 PM
Dissolved

by the way, where did you run your 13.66 at? That's very good
Old 10-28-2003 | 01:32 PM
azrael

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Speaking of misinformation....the Supra is NOT a dyno queen because of the diffuculty of launch....rather the very UNUSABLE powerband of sometimes as little as 1500rpms with the bigger single turbo applications. It's simply useless for anything but going fast in a straight line with that small of a power band.
The people who call the Supra a "dyno queen" are drag racers, primarily interested in running in a straight line. The Supra is a good drag car, even with a huge turbo.. but only if you know how to launch it.. and launching a Supra isn't an easy task.. but they call it a dyno queen because 99% of the owners don't know how to launch it and end up spinning heavily on launch and running 12s. That's why most Supra owners who street race insist on highway pulls.

super high HP supras are always going to be a bad road race car.. but that goes for just about any car. I don't think I'd want to road race any car with heavy turbo lag and enough power to roast drag slicks.
Old 10-28-2003 | 02:12 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Originally posted by Pure Tremble
by the way, where did you run your 13.66 at? That's very good
Thanks man....

US-141 Raceway in Michigan....not the track I usually go to....plus US-141 is considered to be a rather slow track....It's a great facility and the track is REALLY sticky....people tend to run low traps though...
Old 10-28-2003 | 08:42 PM
Don_Da_Z

THX! everyone for answering my question.
Old 10-28-2003 | 09:29 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?
Premier Member

What an open deck and what's a closed deck?? Sorry for the O.T. hijack...
Old 10-28-2003 | 09:34 PM
the bluez33

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Speaking of misinformation....the Supra is NOT a dyno queen because of the diffuculty of launch....rather the very UNUSABLE powerband of sometimes as little as 1500rpms with the bigger single turbo applications. It's simply useless for anything but going fast in a straight line with that small of a power band.
Supra owners are notorious for caring little about actual runs, just making big numbers. Ask your average high HP Supra owner what they've done to make sure their high HP gets put down to the ground, and they'll list anything other than slicks. This is true as well as the point u brought up.
Old 10-30-2003 | 01:55 PM
350Now

Originally posted by Hraesvelg
What an open deck and what's a closed deck?? Sorry for the O.T. hijack...
Our cylinder wall is connected to the block at the bottom and the top is open. So if you take your heads off, you will see a gap between the block and the cylinder wall. The gap needs to be there as a "water jacket" but the top is not closed off. A closed deck block has both top and bottom cylinder wall connected to the block and still have some air space in between the cylinder wall and block for water to flow through.

Strength wise the closed deck block has more surface area connected to the block itself so there is more reinforcements.

Regards,
Jeff

Last edited by 350Now; 10-30-2003 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2003 | 10:11 PM
kzshin

VQ and 2jZ are different type of engine. WHy don't we compare VQ and C32B from NSX? that will be more interesting.

oh 2JZ-GE and 2JZ GTE are different internally. However, their block are stronger than VQ, becuase of the material. And ususally stronger block means higher boost, which result in higher HP.
Old 10-31-2003 | 12:53 PM
AREITU

There was a thread on Supraforums where someone was asking what the best pistons for the money was for a 2JZGTE. The answer wasn't Wiseco, JE, or anything like that. It was OE pistons with aftermarket rods. Just that alone should tell you something about the motor.
Old 10-31-2003 | 06:14 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by AREITU
There was a thread on Supraforums where someone was asking what the best pistons for the money was for a 2JZGTE. The answer wasn't Wiseco, JE, or anything like that. It was OE pistons with aftermarket rods. Just that alone should tell you something about the motor.
yep yep i love supras. Almost bought a '93 mkivtt back in 98 for $18k (yes, you could get them relatively cheap before fast and furious). Black 6spd in philly. Still kicking myself for not buying it. May still get one....
Old 10-31-2003 | 07:25 PM
Vash350Z

all the 2JZ's have the same internals, however the N/A's lack piston cooling oil squirters and have higher compression.
Old 11-01-2003 | 02:10 PM
350zTT01

GE and GTE have different internals !!
Old 11-03-2003 | 03:08 AM
AREITU

Originally posted by Pure Tremble
yep yep i love supras. Almost bought a '93 mkivtt back in 98 for $18k (yes, you could get them relatively cheap before fast and furious). Black 6spd in philly. Still kicking myself for not buying it. May still get one....
I remember watching the prices fly up. One guy on Supraforums said he bought a pristine MKIV with 40,000mi a couple years back for about $23,000. He sold it with 100,000+ mi for about the same price last year...

2JZs are so sturdy and well designed, in fact, that Supra owners very rarely swap out the pistons. It's always OE pistons and aftermarket rods. Peter Blach of Supraforums.com, as well as a few others, have produced 1000+ crank (Blach dynoed 958rwhp) on stock internals . When Supras blow their bottom ends out, they just buy a new shortblock from Toyota. But here's some sad news: Many people have bought shortblocks recently, have noticed machining flaws...Toyota's glory days are over.

Last edited by AREITU; 11-03-2003 at 03:12 AM.
Old 11-03-2003 | 08:16 AM
Loren04G35

I think a lot or people are confused. This is comparing a 2JZ-GE to a VQ35DE, not a 2JZ-GTE. The GE(non-turbo) is a very different animal from its turbo brother. It has a cast bottom end, weaker block and mains and a thiner casting head just to begin with. 2JZ-GE's have been known to frequently come apart above 400 rwhp. 2JZGTE(twin-turbo motors) have extremely strong bottom ends with forged pistons and rods. As long as you have them tuned properly on the right fuel, they can run 600-800 rwhp without ever touching the bottom end or haivng the head removed from the block. They have extremely beefy mains. The heads and intakes have a shorter smoother flow design to work better with boost. This is why the NA(GE) turbo kits are usually in the 380 hp range. For durability, the VQ35DE has only 1 weakness: the rods. VQ rods are very thin(<1.0") and can only take so much abuse. Sure the pistons aren't forged, but it will take a good amount of detonation to melt them. Still, the VQ35 out of the box seems to handle a maximum of 440 rwhp before the stability becomes questionable.

Keep in mind that the RB26DETT from the Skyline is as strong as the 2JZ-GTE is. Like the GTE, it has a forged bottom end, solid block and beefy mains. Nissan is replacing it with the VQ35DETT which will be a beefed up version of our engines made to take heavy boost. How much will be different, we won't know until they are ready to release that info.
Old 11-03-2003 | 12:09 PM
350Now

I thought the GTR are getting VQ30DETT but then again this is just speculation and who knows what Nissan is up to..
Old 11-03-2003 | 12:32 PM
Loren04G35

They already have a VQ30DET(single turbo) that has been on same in Japan for several years in 270-280 hp versions in the RWD sedans. The GTR is supposed to have a version of the VQ35, not the VQ30 from what I've read.
Old 11-03-2003 | 01:28 PM
azrael

Originally posted by Loren04G35
I think a lot or people are confused. This is comparing a 2JZ-GE to a VQ35DE, not a 2JZ-GTE. The GE(non-turbo) is a very different animal from its turbo brother. It has a cast bottom end, weaker block and mains and a thiner casting head just to begin with. 2JZ-GE's have been known to frequently come apart above 400 rwhp. 2JZGTE(twin-turbo motors) have extremely strong bottom ends with forged pistons and rods. As long as you have them tuned properly on the right fuel, they can run 600-800 rwhp without ever touching the bottom end or haivng the head removed from the block. They have extremely beefy mains. The heads and intakes have a shorter smoother flow design to work better with boost. This is why the NA(GE) turbo kits are usually in the 380 hp range. For durability, the VQ35DE has only 1 weakness: the rods. VQ rods are very thin(<1.0") and can only take so much abuse. Sure the pistons aren't forged, but it will take a good amount of detonation to melt them. Still, the VQ35 out of the box seems to handle a maximum of 440 rwhp before the stability becomes questionable.

Keep in mind that the RB26DETT from the Skyline is as strong as the 2JZ-GTE is. Like the GTE, it has a forged bottom end, solid block and beefy mains. Nissan is replacing it with the VQ35DETT which will be a beefed up version of our engines made to take heavy boost. How much will be different, we won't know until they are ready to release that info.
holy crap, I haven't seen a post this MIS-informative in quite a while. You've spouted a lot of technical terms, but almost no factual information at all.

like we've covered already:

The GE (N/A) block is I-D-E-N-T-I-C-A-L to the GTE block. it's not cast, and it's not weaker. The GE only lacks a couple of piston oil squirters, and the pistons are higher-compression, but made of the same material as the GTE pistons. The only reason GE turbo kits make less power is because of the higher-compression pistons leading to detonation. The head design is quite different, but it doesn't really stop the engine from making power.

The VQ does suffer from weak rods, but it also has the issue of an open deck, which worries me a whole lot more.

and one last point -- the RB26 isn't as tough as the 2JZ. The design is not as good and won't yield as much power on the stock block. A 2JZ-GTE will hit over 900 RWHP on a stock block, and the RB breaks down around 650.
Old 11-03-2003 | 01:50 PM
350Now

Originally posted by azrael
..., but it also has the issue of an open deck, which worries me a whole lot more.
We'll we can always take the block apart and take it to get it re-sleeve and closed deck. That off course will depend on how much you want to spend.. $$$$$$. Just wished it was closed deck from the factory.