Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My new TILTON 8lb Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 05:35 PM
vincenzobar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks dawg keep me posted on that Nismo!!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 05:47 PM
350Z-RED

that fly wheel is insane, let us know how it rides
Old 10-28-2003, 05:53 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by EnthuZ
Looks like a double disk........shouldn't there be another piece?
Knowing Tilton's reputation, it must be good!
Yes, you can't tell by the picture I took, but the Pressure Plate has 2 free floating disc's in it, besides the 2 clutch disc parts. The idea behind the 7 1/4" clutch is less mass spinning on the outside. What they call the moment of inertia. This should give the car increadable acceleration, and engine braking. We will see on Wednesday!!
Old 10-28-2003, 06:00 PM
daytona350z

jeff, u now have to give me a ride in the car!!!
Old 10-29-2003, 12:34 AM
Phatmitzu

Cant wait for the review!
Old 10-29-2003, 04:06 AM
wakaZ

Just wondering how pedal feel will be.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:11 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by wakaZ
Just wondering how pedal feel will be.
Ditto, I think the car will be touchy/jumpy/abrupt with such a light flywheel.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:22 AM
ColecatZ

This sounds like a very worth while mod.....I'm curious though about driveability. With such a drastic decrease in rotational mass will it not make it "easier" to stall the car on take off.....say from a light. Or possibly cause the RPM's to drop so fast on deceleration (for instance clutch in off throttle from a high RPM) that the car might stall.

any opinons on this anyone? I might be looking at it wrong.

I could live with it being a little finicky, I'm just trying to figure out if this is a streetable mod or should be left to the hardcore track-heads.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-29-2003, 06:25 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by ColecatZ
I'm curious though about driveability. With such a drastic decrease in rotational mass will it not make it "easier" to stall the car on take off.....say from a light. Or possibly cause the RPM's to drop so fast on deceleration (for instance clutch in off throttle from a high RPM) that the car might stall.
This is exactly why I'm putting this in my car. I want to have these questions answered and figured this would be the only way. I'll get out to the shop later today, finish the install, and let you all know what the answers are.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:25 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

THE REVIEW:
We finished up the install and fired up the car. It was almost shocking how fast the car reved when giving it gas!! Put it in gear and stalled it. Alright, first thought........ this clutch assy will not be good for stop and go work traffic. Restarted the car and gave it more gas so it didn't stall and barked the wheels..... then stalled it. Started to wonder if I made the right choice here. Started it again, launched it hard and took off out the dealer. OH MY GOD!!! Felt like someone put a blower under the hood. The cars acceleration is amazing. I didn't expect this, so maybe not such a bad choice afterall. Stopped at the light with no stalling problem of any kind. Light changes, stall the car, start the car, bark the wheels and floor it. Bounce off the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd before I have to slam on the brakes for another stop. Again, car comes right to an idle with no problem. The car rev's so fast now that it's hard not to hit the rev limiter. Time for TechnoSquare to do some ECU/Rev limiter work when I get back from SEMA. So here's my thoughts..... If your an extreme racer or do a lot of track time, this is the product for you. If your the average guy stuck in L.A. traffic, this might not be the set up you want. I have contacted Tilton about making a more streetable plate/disc set up as I really want to keep this flywheel. I will also put a bunch of miles on the car and see if it doesn't calm down a bit as far as the clutch is concerned. I'll let you know if anything changes after SEMA.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:32 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Very nice... can't wait to hear the review
Old 10-29-2003, 01:32 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds great Jeff-

im in the market for a fly n clutch.. but i would like something a little more streetable... i'm thinking 8 lb fly is a little too light... do you know the clamping force? i.e. physicaly limits of HP?
Old 10-29-2003, 01:39 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you think that the stalling could be overcome after you get used to the new clutch setup? Since it idles, it sounds like it may be streetable with some practice.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:40 PM
VEGASTOY

hey jeff, i just finished reading an article about this in nissanperformancemag and they had the same problem with stalling out.. they said they raised the idle up 100 RPM and this completely fixed the problem. they were using the JWT flywheel but im sure it wouldnt make a difference....btw, gimme a ring on my cell i wanna meet up with u guys for sema, i live in vegas and wanna have u guys do some mods on my car when im in cali....thanx joe 702-373-7997..
Old 10-29-2003, 01:46 PM
vincenzobar

damn sounds like you may not be selling the Nismo after all
Old 10-29-2003, 02:02 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by VEGASTOY
hey jeff, i just finished reading an article about this in nissanperformancemag and they had the same problem with stalling out.. they said they raised the idle up 100 RPM and this completely fixed the problem. they were using the JWT flywheel but im sure it wouldnt make a difference....btw, gimme a ring on my cell i wanna meet up with u guys for sema, i live in vegas and wanna have u guys do some mods on my car when im in cali....thanx joe 702-373-7997..
He was stalling at starting off, not at idle.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:04 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Jeff- any chatter?
Old 10-29-2003, 02:06 PM
aggietsi

You should get a sound clip of the revving for us...
Old 10-29-2003, 02:29 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by vincenzobar
damn sounds like you may not be selling the Nismo after all
Don't lose hope, I'm not ready to yank it out.

Originally posted by failsafe
Jeff- any chatter?
No, none at all. I was surprised by that.

Originally posted by teh215
Do you think that the stalling could be overcome after you get used to the new clutch setup? Since it idles, it sounds like it may be streetable with some practice.
Not sure on this yet. I'll get some driving time under my belt the next day or two and let you know.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:31 PM
hfm

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
THE REVIEW:
We finished up the install and fired up the car. It was almost shocking how fast the car reved when giving it gas!! Put it in gear and stalled it. ..... If your an extreme racer or do a lot of track time, this is the product for you. If your the average guy stuck in L.A. traffic, this might not be the set up you want. I have contacted Tilton about making a more streetable plate/disc set up as I really want to keep this flywheel. I will also put a bunch of miles on the car and see if it doesn't calm down a bit as far as the clutch is concerned. I'll let you know if anything changes after SEMA.
This sounds like my first review of the JWT flywheel, only more extreme. https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....&postid=501627

The stalls have gone away. I have advanced timing 2 degrees and increased the idle speed to 813 rpm using Consult II. The car is so free reving, it's hard not to go to 6.5k in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. Before you know it, you're at 70+ mphs.

Oh, and with the new testpipes, the gravel sound is largely masked under the growl of the exhaust.

At 6 lbs lighter than the 14 lbs JWT flywheel, I'm not surprised you're bumping into the rev limiter. Jeff, we should trade cars at the Saturday dyno so you can compare to the JWT.

Quick Reply: My new TILTON 8lb Flywheel