My new TILTON 8lb Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 02:22 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by dwnshift
Sounds like a plan to me.

no push starts needed here!
The next time you're in down, you should take mine (jwt), Jeff's (Tilton) and yours (350Evo) for a comparasion test. Oh wait, you would be biased.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:51 PM
kaminariZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can someone please please, give me the website to where i can buy this whole setup, clutch included. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:57 PM
Dirty Dave

Hey down shift what is the weight of your flywheel / clutch combo? Tried lookin on the site but no luck.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:19 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by kaminariZ
can someone please please, give me the website to where i can buy this whole setup, clutch included. Thanks.
You can log into our website (click our banner or use www.PerformanceNissanParts.com) and check out the high performance section. We spoke with Tilton today (we are at the Sema show) and they are going to look into building a street clutch, if you want to wait a few weeks for another option.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:28 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by kaminariZ
You can log into our website (click our banner or use www.PerformanceNissanParts.com) and check out the high performance section. We spoke with Tilton today (we are at the Sema show) and they are going to build a street clutch for us , if you want to wait a few weeks for another option.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:01 PM
dwnshift

I believe our race setup is (350EVO race 1pc hardened steel flywheel and Sachs twin plate GT clutch) is 17.5 lbs.
Our street car flywheel weighs in at about 10-12 lbs which is a little heavier than the race version. It is also a 1 pc hardened steel.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:05 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Write up from TILTON flyer on the Tilton 8lb Flywheel.

-------------------------------

Designed for use with 7.25 inch racing clutches. Machined from top-quality, preheat-treated billet 4140 steel. Our flywheels are precision machined with an integral cut ring gear. This results in a far superior and safer operation than bolted-on ring gears. After machining, flywheels are given an additional surface head treatment, greatly improving ring gear tooth life and reducing wear to clutch friction surface. These flywheels are also designed to have a very low moment-of-inertia for improved engine response.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:06 PM
kaminariZ

is there another clutch that is able to work with the tilton flywheel, that is driveable in traffic, and frequent stopping. I drive my Z fast, when i have an open highway. But i also do have to get through traffic sometimes. and having to start up the car over and over again isnt too good. so is there any other clutch, that can still offer that quick acceleration, and revving, buts better?
Old 11-06-2003, 03:38 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Tilton is working on a Streetable clutch. We will keep everyone updated with more info as soon as we get it.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:49 PM
g356gear

Are costs going to be the same??? I hope Tilton was receptive to you're suggestions for a streetable version when you talked to them at SEMA.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

We spoke to the man today. He left Performance Nissan going rite to work on the street clutch! Should have them by the end of the month we HOPE.

Of course you all will be the first to know.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:24 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

how feasible is this flywheel/clutch if you are running high 3's possible 400 hp to the wheels on a turbo kit? Is the clutch rated at being able to handle up to if not more than 500 hp? Just curious
Old 11-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by Juztin
how feasible is this flywheel/clutch if you are running high 3's possible 400 hp to the wheels on a turbo kit? Is the clutch rated at being able to handle up to if not more than 500 hp? Just curious
This is the clutch we have on our race car.

Here is more info from tiltons web site. This is info on the RALLY Clutch which is available on our web site in the Flywheel / Clutch package.. They are currently in development of the street clutch.

http://www.tiltonracing.com/

Tilton OT-Series Cerametallic "Rally" clutches are designed for use in racing applications where limited clutch modulation is needed. OT-Series "Rally" clutches are very similar to Tilton OT-Series Racing clutches, but utilize thicker cerametallic puck-type discs. The cerametallic discs feature a less aggressive friction material and have more mass than the sintered metallic discs used in OT-Series Racing clutches. The additional mass of these clutches help to dissipate the heat that is generated during clutch modulation. These features make Tilton OT-Series Rally clutches great for club racing, rally racing, import/sport compact drag racing, or any other racing where limited clutch slippage is desired. These clutches are not recommended for street use.
Tilton OT-Series "Rally" Clutches are available in 5.5" and 7.25" diameters, single and multi-plate versions.

Applications: Club Racing, Road Racing, Rally Racing, Import Drag /Sport Compact Racing, Circle Track Racing

Options:

1, 2 and 3-plate available
Six different rates of diaphragm springs available
Two pressure plate ratios available:
High Ratio (H) pressure plates offer a short release travel for quick engagement and shifting.
Ultra-high Ratio (U) pressure plates offer additional clutch modulation through a longer (20%) release travel. They also provide 20% more torque capacity than High ratio Pressure plates.

This is some general info on flywheels...

I may have posted this in this thread actually

The MOI Difference

The flywheel by literal definition is an energy storage device. It takes energy to spin the flywheel and clutch up to speed. If it is heavier or larger in diameter it takes even more energy to spin up to speed. This energy comes from the engine in the form of horsepower. Every horsepower that it uses to rotationally accelerate the flywheel and clutch assembly is a horsepower that does not make its way to the rear wheels to accelerate the car when on the throttle.

The rotating energy in the flywheel and clutch does not disappear. As we said before the flywheel is an energy storage device. It releases the stored energy when you are on the breaks. Just when you are trying to slow the car down that energy is pumped back into the drivetrain trying to push the car forward. Therefore, you have to work the breaks a little harder. Reducing the MOI (mass moment of inertia) of the flywheel and the clutch that rotates with it can increase the car's acceleration and aid in braking.

Determining the MOI of a part takes a special measuring device that is not found in the average race shop. Weight is a factor in determining the MOI. But, how far the weight is located from the axis of rotation is even more important and often overlooked. The MOI rating, usually measured in lb-in^2, is a figure that accounts for the weight and the location of that weight. When comparing two different components the one that has the lower MOI is the one that robs the least amount of horsepower during acceleration. So, when comparing two different parts one should ask what the MOI is, not the weight.

Doubling the weight of an object without changing how far the weight (technically mass) is from the axis of rotation doubles the MOI, which follows common sense. Doubling how far the weight is from the axis of rotation quadruples the MOI, which is not as intuitive and demands a closer look. Since it is twice as far out it must be bought up to twice the linear speed to reach the same RPM. To do that in the same amount of time requires twice (2) the linear acceleration. And, being twice as far away from the axis of rotation we lose half of our leverage and it takes twice (2) as much torque to reach even the same linear acceleration. Accounting for needing twice the acceleration and twice the torque we see that 2 x 2 = 4 times the horsepower robbing effect or MOI. Likewise, moving the weight to three times as far from the axis of rotation multiplies the MOI nine times!

How large of an effect the diameter has is shown by the fact that the MOI of a 168 tooth Chevrolet flexplate is more than that of a good small block Chevrolet racing crankshaft. Yet, look at the difference in weight!

It is the combined MOI of the clutch and flywheel together that matters. When comparing look at the whole package. Looking at the clutch alone does not reveal the entire situation. And, remember that diamater has a much larger effect than weight.

Work by Tilton Engineering, Inc. to reduce the MOI on the Dodge Viper clutch and flywheel assembly allows an increase of 30 horsepower at the rear wheels without a single internal modification or additional stresses on the engine. This is how you find reliable horsepower.

Michael O'Neil
Managing Engineer
Tilton Engineering, Inc.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:47 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by Juztin
And for the short answer........ no problem!!!
Old 11-11-2003, 04:19 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

--"And for the short answer........ no problem!!!"--

Thanks, that's more like it! LOLOL
Old 11-11-2003, 09:26 PM
SR20DEN

I think I might try the street version of this on my Maxima.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:29 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by SR20DEN
I think I might try the street version of this on my Maxima.
Will definatly look into seeing if this will work for you. That would be pretty sick though!
Old 11-26-2003, 10:04 AM
g356gear

Have we heard how the developement of the street clutch is coming from Tilton?
Old 11-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

We have some test parts in stock now and will be putting them on Jasons Z Monday/Tuesday. This holiday kind of put us behind a bit.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:10 AM
FRIT-Z

Default Eager

Rubbing hands together waiting for report...

Quick Reply: My new TILTON 8lb Flywheel