Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Where are the heads....

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 12:00 PM
Conceyted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are the heads....

Okay, so I do realize this is a fairly brand new engine, but why are there no aftermarket heads/cams packages out for the Z yet! I would love to see the gains from some aftermarket heads! SOMEONE HOOK IT UP!
Old 10-30-2003, 01:45 PM
quangquoclu

there are lots of aftermarket headers and cams. try crawfords (the best), weld, borla, and nismo to name a few for headers. Tomei, Nismo, and a few others makes some cams. SO try the search button.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:47 PM
aggietsi

He said heads, not headers.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Conceyted

Originally posted by quangquoclu
there are lots of aftermarket headers and cams. try crawfords (the best), weld, borla, and nismo to name a few for headers. Tomei, Nismo, and a few others makes some cams. SO try the search button.
WOW! I guess you have never heard of heads! Great job and next time I will try that good ole' seach button. Maybe you shoudl try www.Yahoo.com's search button and learn the difference between HEADS AND HEADERS! Now, back to topic....
Old 10-30-2003, 02:32 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would guess that aftermarket heads are going to be a ways off. You would probably do better finding a shop that specializes in porting and polishing of heads and possibly a 3+ angle valve job. I would make certain that they are familiar with the head design/limitation so they do not cut into the water passages. Another thing to look for is to make certain the have a flowbench and use it. Good luck...
Old 10-30-2003, 06:50 PM
reallyredZ

I gotta agree with what teh says. I think everything for now is going to be custom work. I really doubt we will see any aftermarket heads for our cars anytime soon. Too much R&D, not enough aftermarket (yet).
Old 10-30-2003, 06:52 PM
Conceyted

Originally posted by reallyredZ
I gotta agree with what teh says. I think everything for now is going to be custom work. I really doubt we will see any aftermarket heads for our cars anytime soon. Too much R&D, not enough aftermarket (yet).
The only reason I even brought this up was because my friend drives a 2000 z28. Those mothers are bad with just the heads/cams upgrade. It costs them under 3 grand for the parts and whatnot and they go from 310rwhp to 440+rwhp. My mouth hit the floor when I heard this. I was thinking, where the hell is this for the Z!
Old 10-30-2003, 07:02 PM
reallyredZ

They are v-8s, and they are domestic. It seems domestic people dont trust these fangled 'turbochargers and superchargers'.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:11 PM
spazpilot

Conceyted
your buddy must have alot of work done considering that my brothers 2002 ws6 only dynoed 265rwhp stock. I doubt heads and cam will give him 180rwhp if you ask me and to top it off a ws6 has more power then a 2000 z28. Got a dyno sheet?
Old 10-30-2003, 07:46 PM
Conceyted

Originally posted by spazpilot
Conceyted
your buddy must have alot of work done considering that my brothers 2002 ws6 only dynoed 265rwhp stock. I doubt heads and cam will give him 180rwhp if you ask me and to top it off a ws6 has more power then a 2000 z28. Got a dyno sheet?
Wow, what can I say, I am no longer taking his ****ing word for it! He claimed to me that all 2000+ camaros were underrated and that they all dynoed 300+ rwhp! Well, now I feel like a jackass. I will be sure to let him know. Anyways, according to SLP performance, their package puts down 485 hp to the crank. bolted up to a stock engine.

PS: He swears he has seen TONS of dynos of over 300 hp stock to the wheels. http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...1&pagenumber=1
and http://www.wideopenwest.com/~arcticf...ArcticDyno.jpg
<he forwarded me here

Where the hell are the f-body people when you need them. Always calling BS but never defending their turf! Anyone else know if this is true or not???

Last edited by Conceyted; 10-30-2003 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:23 PM
Dissolved

You know that we don't have small block chevy's under the hood right? We don't pick up Summit magazine to find our heads/cam combo and say "bitchin"
Old 10-30-2003, 08:29 PM
spazpilot

Conceyted

I am not saying he does or dosen't. Its just I don't think people realize what 440+rwhp is. here is a web page were a guy had added a vortech supercharger to get those numbers:

http://www.ls1.com/index_dyno_runs.html

His car had exhaust, filter and other little stuff for a baseline of 305. So I could give him that. but no way unless it a way radical cam can he get the same numbers as a fi kit by just heads and cam
Old 10-30-2003, 08:32 PM
spazpilot

I do believe though for anyone interested that greddy is working on a head cam package to go along with there turbo kit for more power.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:43 AM
Conceyted

Originally posted by spazpilot
Conceyted

I am not saying he does or dosen't. Its just I don't think people realize what 440+rwhp is. here is a web page were a guy had added a vortech supercharger to get those numbers:

http://www.ls1.com/index_dyno_runs.html

His car had exhaust, filter and other little stuff for a baseline of 305. So I could give him that. but no way unless it a way radical cam can he get the same numbers as a fi kit by just heads and cam
I do agree with you that ALOT of people just don't realize what 440rwhp is. But the LS1's are easy to make fast, I have seen it first hand. As far as what your saying about the supercharger, As much as I try explaining the EXACT thing to him he SWEARS that hes right. "Chris go on the ls1 forums and ask them to show you their dynos!" then he pulls open the catalog and shows me where it claims 485 engine hp from heads and cams.
He told me, "I think that guy has no clue what hes talking about, hes either lying and his brother doesnt have an LS1 or the dyno they are on isn't tuned" We shall see, maybe I will make him dyno his car
Old 10-31-2003, 04:40 AM
BigBadBuford

LS1s, especially 2002's, put out some nice numbers stock. My brother's '02 WS6 put down 320 rwhp and 339 lbs. ft. torque totally stock down to the paper filter with 5000 miles on the odo. Major HP gains are pretty easy on an LS1, headers, exhaust and a new air lid can give you a 20 hp gain or more, and heads/cam LS1s can definitely put down 400+ rwhp.
I'd love it for a place like AFR to come out with a new set of higher flowing heads for the Z, but it doesn't seem like anyone ever makes aftermarket heads for imports. Even CNC ported heads would probably yield a nice improvement over stock, especially coupled with Nismo cams.

Last edited by BigBadBuford; 10-31-2003 at 04:43 AM.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:53 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by BigBadBuford
LS1s, especially 2002's, put out some nice numbers stock. My brother's '02 WS6 put down 320 rwhp and 339 lbs. ft. torque totally stock down to the paper filter with 5000 miles on the odo. Major HP gains are pretty easy on an LS1, headers, exhaust and a new air lid can give you a 20 hp gain or more, and heads/cam LS1s can definitely put down 400+ rwhp.
I'd love it for a place like AFR to come out with a new set of higher flowing heads for the Z, but it doesn't seem like anyone ever makes aftermarket heads for imports. Even CNC ported heads would probably yield a nice improvement over stock, especially coupled with Nismo cams.

Actually those are the stock specs at the crank you listed. I have never heard of an LS1 dynoing that much. They usually dyno a little below 300. Conceyted, there is no way a heads and cam package would give him 485 at the crank
Old 10-31-2003, 05:11 AM
spazpilot

well enough about ls1's. If we were to do head work (port, polish, 1mm oversized titanium valves and if your crazy like me extrude hone the head)and a good streetable cam like lets say JWT's cams. I bet we could see about 40-45rwhp added to our car at best, which to me sounds pretty good.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:52 AM
quangquoclu

''there are lots of aftermarket headers and cams. try crawfords (the best), weld, borla, and nismo to name a few for headers. Tomei, Nismo, and a few others makes some cams. SO try the search button.''

my bad.... just trying to help man
Old 10-31-2003, 09:18 AM
SoFl_G

About the heads, in domestics, the heads used to be notoriously poor flowing so a head upgrade/porting would make a world of difference in power. We make 80hp/L and 77Lbft/L they make approx 52hp/L and 61 lb/ft/L so they have more room for improvement. Our heads cannot be that bad flowing or else we would not make the power we do. Another point about our heads being pretty darn good are things like the crawford plenum and headers are adding good power up top, if the heads were bad they would restrict these improvements. The V-8's partly get their added power through improved breathing at the top of the rev range. If we cut our redlines to 5500 like most domestics, our HP would look much worse stock, then improving things to allow revving to 6500 would make it look much better. Same for V-8's. Most highly improved V-8 don't make much more torque down low, they just maintain their torque curve out further. maintaining the same lb/ft torque further up the rev range adds a ton of HP.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:23 AM
azrael

LS1's make 350+ at the crank, regardless of what Chevy claims. The same block goes in the 98+ Z28, 98+ TA, and C5 (non-Z06). Making power with a heads/cams package is easy on a small block V8.. but not as easy on a modern import. It's very rare to see aftermarket heads available for an import. B-series Honda heads are just now starting to appear, and that engine has been around for over a decade.

For the record.. any LS1-based car that dynos 265 rwhp is seriously screwed up. Something is wrong with that car.

Quick Reply: Where are the heads....