Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

P1121 code...anyone? Also cluster lights are on.. (CEL, SLIP, VDC OFF...)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 07:46 PM
maximariceboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1121 code...anyone? Also cluster lights are on.. (CEL, SLIP, VDC OFF...)

Hey guys, so I was installing a used crawford plenum that i bought. A very simple swap and along with the crawford strut bar.

Got everything hooked up and ready to start up...car was idling a bit weird. I tried re-learning the throttle body, adjusted the throtte body screw....Can't find a thing but when I rev, the car wants to cut of so its def a vac leak. I check the hoses and everything and nothing...I pulled out the manifold out 3 times today and decided to put my stock upper plenum back on..some rtv as well for the gasket and idles perfectly fine but now i still have this code.

I reseted the code a few times and still pops up. I then drove the car back home from the shop and I'm having a hard time accelerating. Car feels sluggish and very slow....I step on the pedal and it doesn't move...

I have a lot of dash lights that are on as well like CEL, SLIP, VDC OFF...

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance

Eric

Last edited by maximariceboi; 04-21-2010 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:38 PM
maximariceboi

sorry i believe i posted on the wrong section..
Old 04-21-2010, 03:27 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you unplug the connector from the throttle body when removing the OEM plenum? If so, did you disconnect the battery before doing that? If not, then you need to reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery, pressing on the brake then reconnecting the battery.

You may need to re-do the throttle learning procedures again.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:26 AM
maximariceboi

I did not unplug the throttle body..only removed the 4 bolts and removed the plenum. I did not disconnect the battery in anyway until I had this problem.

I will disconnect the battery again and leave it disconnected till I look at it again in 2hrs and re-do the throttle learning procedures again.

But when you mean by resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery, pressing on the brake then reconnecting the battery...Just pressing the brake once?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2010, 06:12 AM
R350Zz33

u press the brake if you dont wanna wait 15 mins or so it drains the last bit of power out of the car
Old 04-21-2010, 07:57 AM
maximariceboi

ok thanks!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:02 AM
maximariceboi

Ok so I tried it again, did the throttle position learning again..

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/g35...procedure.html

And the light check engine light turns off, but the VDC and SLIP light is on. When I step on the gas pedal, it triggers the check engine light and goes off at idle. But when I gradually give it gas, it didnt trigger the check engine light.

I turned off the car and started it back up the check engine light is on again along with the VDC and SLIP.

I guess I'll pull the codes later today but...does this mean I probably need a new throttle body?

Last edited by maximariceboi; 04-21-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:15 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

VDC and Slip should be totally unrelated to the throttle body, etc. Did you do anything related to brakes or wheels? Double check your brake fluid level.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:03 PM
maximariceboi

i didnt do anything else to the car. brake fluid levels are fine but i was searching on the forums, few ppl had the same problem. The code p1121 and something else and as well as the SLIP and VDC lights were on.

I have a 2002 maxima throttle body which looks exactly the same...im going to swap that out and see what happens.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:15 PM
maximariceboi

hah now its raining..i guess i ll do this tmrw.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 PM
R350Zz33

Originally Posted by maximariceboi
hah now its raining..i guess i ll do this tmrw.
it seems to be when it rains it pours right.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:29 PM
FATPUBUS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the plenum is sealed well, and check that the rubber surround for the oil cap is not squished in there too...I installed a chrome plenum, fired it up, had all the same problems you do and it turned out that the plenum was not sealed to the lower portion. Fixed it and no problems ever since.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:56 AM
maximariceboi

Originally Posted by FATPUBUS
Make sure the plenum is sealed well, and check that the rubber surround for the oil cap is not squished in there too...I installed a chrome plenum, fired it up, had all the same problems you do and it turned out that the plenum was not sealed to the lower portion. Fixed it and no problems ever since.
yes plenum was sealed well and i did check that rubber piece on the oil cap.

I guess I should be using a new gasket for the plenum or something but I used some RTV and installed the old plenum back on...but now im having that throttle body issue...

I don't even have time today to fix this thing since i have to go help my dad install a new clutch on a evo x at the shop lol...
Old 04-22-2010, 03:44 PM
maximariceboi

ok so i swapped out the throttle body with a 02 maxima...works perfectly....

although the maxima throttle body is slightly different but plugs to the harness...no codes as of yet or SLIP and VDC lights are off
Old 04-23-2010, 05:13 AM
maximariceboi

ok..the lights came back on again after 7 miles this morning...i drove to the gym and nothing was wrong...left the gym started up the car...those 3 lights are still on! maybe i need a 350z throttle body??? i ll pull the codes later tonight and see what it is..
Old 04-23-2010, 05:58 AM
zer0cool

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/350z-ecu-codes.html
that's a link to a list of all the engine codes. Sorry I don't know what ur problem is but this list is a good reference for future CELs.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:06 PM
ErkTheJerk73

Received 718 Likes on 427 Posts

DTC: P1121

Search Bulletins/Recalls for P1121

Trouble diagnosis name: Electric throttle control actuator

Component Description

Electric Throttle Control Actuator consists of throttle control motor, throttle position sensor, etc.

The throttle control motor is operated by the ECM and it opens and closes the throttle valve.

The throttle position sensor detects the throttle valve position, and the opening and closing speed of the throttle valve and feeds the voltage signals to the ECM. The ECM judges the current opening angle of the throttle valve from these signals and the ECM controls the throttle control motor to make the throttle valve opening angle properly in response to driving condition.

DTC detecting condition:

* A Electric throttle control actuator does not function properly due to the return spring malfunction.
* B Throttle valve opening angle in fail-safe mode is not in specified range.
* C ECM detect the throttle valve is stuck open. This self-diagnosis has the one trip detection logic.

Possible cause:

* Electric throttle control actuator

link: http://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/obd_codes/p1121.htm
Old 04-24-2010, 07:23 AM
maximariceboi

Yea reason why I have the vdc and slip lights on is because its on safe mode....anyone has a tb with low miles for sale??
Old 05-08-2010, 08:53 PM
maximariceboi

forgot to update the thread...im actually using a 06 maxima tb which is exactly the same as the 350z...works perfectly fine...i guess the other TB i had was dropped or something. will be intalling that crawford plenum again when i get my new gasket!
Old 10-04-2010, 08:58 AM
jjewells8

Hey Dave, my 350z has the tcs, ses and slip light on with no acceleration. Ive been reading your messages and nothing has been done to my brakes or tires, all fluids are full! Anything else I should check before I take it in for a 1200.00 repair for the throttle body? Throwing code P1121!

Thanks

Quick Reply: P1121 code...anyone? Also cluster lights are on.. (CEL, SLIP, VDC OFF...)