Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Would 87 octane gas through a cel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 PM
power2rice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

87 will not give you a check engine light UNLESS it misfired multiple times. I've ran 87 in my car before, no CEL but you do lose mpg drastically. MPG loss on 89 is roughly just a little less than 1mpg, but you actually do feel the power fade after 4500rpm. PM me, I live in Van Nuys and have a Innova 3130 scanner that I can check and reset your CEL for you.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:36 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Entaille
damnit man do you know what else you could have done with that three dollars??!
3 McChickens
Old 05-13-2010, 06:59 AM
LuciaPwNs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spork
3 McChickens
actually 2 McChickens and a pie. 3 McChickens would cost 3.18. Well atleast in PA...
Old 05-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm so used to not paying tax.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:44 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

I know when ever I buy something while driving the change goes in the car.....

silver coins in the passenger side cup holder and pennies in the driver side cup holder

I think I got like $25 in my car in coins...then an extra $10 bucks in the flip up arm rest under the two piece cup holder...

not making bad decisions at the gas station = priceless
Old 05-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

What gas did you put in??

I have kinetix velocity plenum, CAI, TP's and HKS Hipower true dual exhaust. If I put cheap gas in I will get a CEL. AS long as I only fill up at shell I dont throw the light.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:30 PM
redlinedifterzx

i filled it up at a 76 station
Old 05-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Barnabas

never heard of them lol must be a west coast thing is it cheap low quality gas??
Old 05-13-2010, 01:52 PM
nismoz1260

The evap system only performs its self test when fuel level is over 15% or under 85% so it is not the gas cap causing the engine light...unless you bought a lot of gas for $3. Most likely a etc for engine knock or system lean. If it was really low on gas the fuel pump could have been picking up some air with its fuel
Old 05-13-2010, 01:55 PM
redlinedifterzx

its been under a cover the last two days but im gonna fill up with some premium and add some actane booster and ill let you guys know the results
Old 05-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Barnabas

dont use booster

fill up with premium drive about 20 miles reset ECU see if the light turns off

If it does then the gas was your problem
Old 05-13-2010, 02:03 PM
redlinedifterzx

will do
Old 05-13-2010, 03:49 PM
power2rice

Rather than taking suggestions of what caused the CEL, just swing by my house and I will check it for you for free. No strange suggestions like what gas station you should be pumping or what magic voodoo touching of your car to fix the problem. ECU CEL means a sensor somewhere detected something that is related to a negative change in emissions. Sometimes it's something totally unexpected, such as egr circuit sensing too much airflow. Or its what you hoped for, simple engine misfire from 87 gas on one of the cylinders.

Free code scanning and reset from me for anyone willing to drive to me to scan it. I'm free after 5pm weekdays, and varies on the weekends since I like to go mountain biking or something outdoorsy on the weekends. PM me for my address.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Barnabas

Originally Posted by power2rice
Rather than taking suggestions of what caused the CEL, just swing by my house and I will check it for you for free. No strange suggestions like what gas station you should be pumping or what magic voodoo touching of your car to fix the problem. ECU CEL means a sensor somewhere detected something that is related to a negative change in emissions. Sometimes it's something totally unexpected, such as egr circuit sensing too much airflow. Or its what you hoped for, simple engine misfire from 87 gas on one of the cylinders.

Free code scanning and reset from me for anyone willing to drive to me to scan it. I'm free after 5pm weekdays, and varies on the weekends since I like to go mountain biking or something outdoorsy on the weekends. PM me for my address.
Its actually documented at least here onthe east coast certain gas is MUCH better then others.

my tuner can actually tell if someone has cheap gas in when he is tuning a car. maybe in cali that is a strange idea, but here it is important to remember.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:56 PM
redlinedifterzx

Originally Posted by biohazard53188
You dont need an OBD reader. You can just do the ECU reset via the pedal method and count the number of times the CEL blinks between pauses. It will give you a code.
I didn't know you could do that can anyone give me more info as in when to start counting the blinks during the reset process? Is it for however many blinks say ten = p0010 code

Btw the b%#ch only took 12 gallons and that was gas coming out of the overfill and my tank still only reads 3/4 after owning my z for three years I swear it has a 14 gallon tank iv never filled up more than that besides the code what would be the repercussions if I ran her dry and just kept a two gallon gas can in the car other than I know it's horrible for your injectors
Old 05-13-2010, 05:28 PM
BonesZ33

Read your Nissan 350Z MANUAL.. It says right in it that 87 can be used for short periods of time when 91 or higher octane is not available. It also says you should drive slow, and not put much load on the engine. If used for long periods of time you will devolope pre-ignition ping. Essentially slowly destroying you're engine. It will not throw a CEL for one time use.

Also if you want to resest your ECU without an OBDII scanner, and without doing the stupid pedal procedure, just disconnect your battery for more than an hour.

Last edited by BonesZ33; 05-13-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Barnabas

Originally Posted by BonesZ33
Read your Nissan 350Z MANUAL.. It says right in it that 87 can be used for short periods of time when 91 or higher octane is not available. It also says you should drive slow, and not put much load on the engine. If used for long periods of time you will devolope pre-ignition ping. Essentially slowly destroying you're engine. It will not throw a CEL for one time use.
He isnt stock... thats why it could throw a code. running to lean
Old 05-13-2010, 05:34 PM
BonesZ33

Originally Posted by Barnabas
He isnt stock... thats why it could throw a code. running to lean
Possible, it could potentially throw a missfire code.. Althought i don't see the reason why he hasn't just filled the car back up with 93, resest the code and drive it, instead of making a thread like he is clueless
Old 05-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Smoothy34

Originally Posted by redlinedifterzx
My gauge is highly inaccurate iv never filled my tank past 14 gallons
let alone there are times it reads empty and iv only filled it with 6 gallons
so I don't trust it. At im just hoping there isn't a day that it's actually accurate and I get stuck somewhere but I had driven close to thirty miles on before I got my .8 of a gallon so honestly I have no idea what's in my tank at the moment
It's not your tank, its your fuel sending units in the tank that have gone for a ****...sends the fuel level in the tank to the gauge. When mine went bad the first time, i'd fill up, it would only read 3/4 of a tank, go down really fast...like today, i filled up...only put in 38 liters (almost exactly a half tank, yet my gauge had read i only had a 1/4 tank left...getting mine replaced..again...under warranty...
Old 05-13-2010, 05:46 PM
redlinedifterzx

i think this might be a face palm moment but would extremely low oil through a code.
im running an 05 de non rev up which i didnt think have oil burning issues but this happened to me last time although no engine light and the oil wasnt as low as it was today? i didnt really acknowledge the oil burning possibility last time i changed my oil but after about 1.5 month after my changed i checked my oil and it was abnormally low but my parents claimed that there was an oil spill on the garage floor but i checked for leaks and nothing and i dont park in the garage unless im home working on my car the thought did cross my mind but i brushed it trying to be hopeful anyway i filled up the oil which was about 3k miles ago and i was planning to change my oil next month and im pretty good at changing it out every 3k i was hoping to stretch it a bit since i use royal purple.
i guess its just a lesson to checking my oil more often.
i cleaned my maf, put about 3 quarts of cheap oil in to get me home so i can change it out this weekend but some premium in and ran it for the suggested 20 min and reset my ecu hopefully this solves the issue

Quick Reply: Would 87 octane gas through a cel?