Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Would 87 octane gas through a cel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 05:48 PM
redlinedifterzx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoothy34
It's not your tank, its your fuel sending units in the tank that have gone for a ****...sends the fuel level in the tank to the gauge. When mine went bad the first time, i'd fill up, it would only read 3/4 of a tank, go down really fast...like today, i filled up...only put in 38 liters (almost exactly a half tank, yet my gauge had read i only had a 1/4 tank left...getting mine replaced..again...under warranty...
unfortunately i just went over my warranty but ill look into getting around to replacing the sending units my self some time in the summer
Old 05-13-2010, 05:49 PM
BonesZ33

Originally Posted by redlinedifterzx
i think this might be a face palm moment but would extremely low oil through a code.
im running an 05 de non rev up which i didnt think have oil burning issues but this happened to me last time although no engine light and the oil wasnt as low as it was today? i didnt really acknowledge the oil burning possibility last time i changed my oil but after about 1.5 month after my changed i checked my oil and it was abnormally low but my parents claimed that there was an oil spill on the garage floor but i checked for leaks and nothing and i dont park in the garage unless im home working on my car the thought did cross my mind but i brushed it trying to be hopeful anyway i filled up the oil which was about 3k miles ago and i was planning to change my oil next month and im pretty good at changing it out every 3k i was hoping to stretch it a bit since i use royal purple.
i guess its just a lesson to checking my oil more often.
i cleaned my maf, put about 3 quarts of cheap oil in to get me home so i can change it out this weekend but some premium in and ran it for the suggested 20 min and reset my ecu hopefully this solves the issue
take of your under carrage tray, place a clean peice of cardboard, check for leaks..
pull out spark plugs, check for oil leaking from the spark plug grommets on the valve cover..
Also do a compression test while you have all spark plugs out.

Good luck
Old 05-13-2010, 06:04 PM
R350Zz33

Oh god no. Iv heard horrible stories from friends who's parents borrowed there car and didn't no it took premium and filled with regular.

I only went with one step below premium and I did my best to keep it under 3.5k
87 is one step below premium? here 89 would be one step below normal pumps here are 87 89 or 93 but if your at a valero its 87 89 92 93
Old 05-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

87=reg
89=premium
93=super
Old 05-13-2010, 06:56 PM
redlinedifterzx

California **** water 91-super
Old 05-13-2010, 06:57 PM
redlinedifterzx

so would really low oil through an engine code?
Old 05-14-2010, 01:16 PM
uglyduc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by power2rice
MPG loss on 89 is roughly just a little less than 1mpg, but you actually do feel the power fade after 4500rpm.
You actually make more horsepower on lower octane fuel.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:49 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

offtopic but my z took 17 gallons the other night to fill it up...the needle was literally on E. OP any luck in finding out whats wrong? did you clear the cel?
Old 05-14-2010, 10:39 PM
redlinedifterzx

i cleared the code took care of some basic stuff 150 miles no code so far fingers crossed
Old 05-15-2010, 08:26 AM
Smoothy34

unfortunately i just went over my warranty but ill look into getting around to replacing the sending units my self some time in the summer
Well my car isn't under warranty, but the sending units i bought last July are..1 yr or 20,000 km's...so..replace for free lol
Old 05-16-2010, 02:33 AM
power2rice

Originally Posted by uglyduc
You actually make more horsepower on lower octane fuel.
More power on lower octane is true only if you have more control of the cars ignition system/timing AND that you are not running high compression. But if your ecu is pushing to advance more and more with a block that is considered somewhat high compression, the lower octane stumbles with early detonation because it burns more volatile due to being easier to ignite. So I disagree on your statement that the Z makes more power with 87 gas than it does with 91/93. I definitely can assure you that I have done my 6 months of testing to justify saying it. 87 = bad. If you run it often (I'm sure there are a few that have) you can hear when you start the car or shut it off it does a "click click click" aka knock knock knock. 89 merely power fades at high rpms for obvious reasons that it retards timing slightly from pinging earlier than the engine ecu was expecting. But the change in MPG for the 3 months duration of testing clearly proved to me that the loss of almost 1mpg (0.6 - 0.9 mpg to be exact) is not worth it to run 89. Plus with 91, no power fading at 5500rpm. High revving and low octane don't compliment each together.

Some wonder why bother with testing lower octane fuel? Well frankly because I want to know that I'm not running more octane than the ecu will be able to handle and engine able to burn. And because I'm cheap. If I can get away with something for cheaper and lose nothing, I'm gonna do it!
Old 05-16-2010, 02:43 AM
power2rice

Originally Posted by Smoothy34
Well my car isn't under warranty, but the sending units i bought last July are..1 yr or 20,000 km's...so..replace for free lol
I believe you might not have to replace the sending unit. Try taking it out of the gask tank, turning the car to the on position with it plugged in and cycle the floater down (empty) and full up (full). Do it a few times holding it in each position for about 2 minutes (some cars 30 seconds works fine). This allows for the gauge to adjust to the resistance and provide a more accurate reading again.

I can't confirm this on the Z, but this is what I did on a few German cars to fix the never full reading problem. My Z is starting to not read full anymore since for the past 2 years I only pump 3/4 tank versus full tank. And the few times recently I did a full tank, it doesn't quite touch the Full marker anymore.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:34 AM
redlinedifterzx

Does anyone know if the test pipe nonfouler mod ever fails after so many miles I have about 2k on then and it's the only thing off the top of my head thT would cause my ses btw it came back coming back to base this morning roughly about 350 miles after I resett it on Friday. I changed out ally fluids and she's been running beautifully pretty much as new as you can get for 89k miles anyway there's no knocking no noticiable gain or minus in hp in torque she's ran fairly well through a couple twisties this weekend to. Any ideas at the possiblities I'm actually going to get the code read on wed but any ideas in the mean time would be appreciated
Old 05-25-2010, 12:03 PM
power2rice

if you used the nonfoulers it's very close to foolproof majority of the time. However, what you might be experience is defective oxygen sensor. you're at 90k so it's near it's time for the oxygen sensors to start dying. All you need to do is scan it... until you scan, you will never know exactly whats the problem.