Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New to nissans (bye bye WRX)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 07:42 AM
516_wrx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to nissans (bye bye WRX)

hey guys,

I took arrival of my STI 1 month ago and my WRX has been collecting dust to i decided to trade it in for a 350Z silverstone touring (i'll get it in a week or 2)
the one thing i realized is that nissan aftermarket parts are so damn expensive!!!!!!

what do you guys suggest for me? i'm heading toward the route of an ATI procharger but in the meantime what do you suggest i buy to prepare for it? intake/headers/exhaust???

i hope to be as happy with this car as i am with my wrx/sti the subaru guys were great i hope the nissan guys are too!
Old 11-06-2003, 08:23 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not all after market parts are expensive... It just depends on where you get them.

Have a look around our web site. You will find Nismo Headers / Random Technologies High Flow Cats / and the Nismo Exaust that will go very nicely with your ATI if you go that way.

Nismo Headers - 1117
High Flow Cats - 559
Exaust - 847

All parts plus shipping. Shipping for the exuast has just gotten cheeper for us too.

Let me know if I can help you in any way.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:25 AM
React3

First off , Intake- Gruppe M im running that Im very happy with it.
Headers- alot are leaning to Crawford headers, Exhaust- I run Stillen I love it.. good quality, nice sound, good power.

There is alot of good info on the site...

any questions PM me
Old 11-06-2003, 08:25 AM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you're ready to drop some cash on FI for the Z... leave da' b00st to the STI!

Nice combo btw... I wouldn't mind an STI for daily duties and the Z as a toy!

The Z is an incredible handling car, focus on suspension, etc. For bolt-ons there is a barage of parts.

Headers -
NISMO
Borla
Crawford
XERD

Intake - Don't bother... stock airbox is already really good. The AEM SOUNDS sick thou! Check out posts on the Crawford plenum, this will REALLY help your top end power, which the Z lacks out of the box.

Exhausts -
TOO MANY!
Tons of name brands
If you're looking to save $$$, talk to Potato Head... looks like he has done a few custom gigs that have worked out well for him.

Welcome to the community, and let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!
Old 11-06-2003, 08:27 AM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by React3
First off , Intake- Gruppe M im running that Im very happy with it.
I stand corrected... this piece is NIIIIIIICE!
Old 11-06-2003, 08:28 AM
Z8M

Welcome!! I'm curious, why did you trade the STI? Performance wise, it can ran circle around the Z. I hope you wont be disapointed, but as far as the look, its a winner hands down. Be prepared to have holes in your pocket as the parts are expensive.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:51 AM
516_wrx

Originally posted by Z8M
Welcome!! I'm curious, why did you trade the STI? Performance wise, it can ran circle around the Z. I hope you wont be disapointed, but as far as the look, its a winner hands down. Be prepared to have holes in your pocket as the parts are expensive.
you misunderstood me, i had a WRX and bought an STI so the wrx sat and collected dust, i don't have the Z yet but i'll have in in my garage in a week or 2 (can't sleep thinking about it)
Old 11-06-2003, 09:13 AM
Z8M

Oooops, pardon me, didn't have my glasses on.
What!! you'll own both cars? DAYUUMM!!
Old 11-06-2003, 09:35 AM
516_wrx

Originally posted by Z8M
Oooops, pardon me, didn't have my glasses on.
What!! you'll own both cars? DAYUUMM!!
i got the greatest deal in the world on the STI, my cousin bought it and payed for it, he went away to asia for a career move so I ended up with an STI that was way below invoice (think used WRX pricing )
Old 11-06-2003, 09:49 AM
Ralphus

The parts are very over priced. You can find parts that require the same amount of labor, material, etc. for another car that cost half as much. I guess it's demand.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:44 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: New to nissans (bye bye WRX)

Originally posted by 516_wrx
hey guys,
what do you guys suggest for me? i'm heading toward the route of an ATI procharger but in the meantime what do you suggest i buy to prepare for it? intake/headers/exhaust???
The SC and turbo kits are just arriving on the market this month after basically over a year of waiting for some of us. By December 1st, you will have your choice of a Greddy or PE TT, or an ATI, Vortec, or Stillen SC.

Why would you rush to buy one yet? We dont even have real dyno specs of the Greddy, PE, or Vortec kits. I strongly suggest you do tires, wheels, suspension etc first after getting your Z. Then, after these FI products have true/accurate posted hp specs and you can see what problems are occuring with each, you can then decide which provide the best performance, reliability, and service. Remember, these are after market kits so if they blow up your motor, you most likely voided your warranty and have a very expensive repair.

You need to so a lot of research and then, based upon your knowledge, decide which aftermarket products are best for you.

Try doing a search here using such terms like "exhaust shoot out sportZ magazine" and read the comparison SportZ magazine did on exhaust. You can compare actual cost vs hp/torque.

Good luck, welcome to the forum...Jeff
Old 11-06-2003, 12:52 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hey man - so you bought a Z now too

Stop down to the shop one day
Old 11-06-2003, 01:11 PM
Fanman

Definitely take a look at the Crawford intake plenum, and their new headers. Borla makes a nice true dual exhaust. You can get a lot of the parts for much less than retail thru some of the group buys. I was looking at the Group buy for the Greddy TT. The retail is ridiculous on that package, but with the group buy it makes a lot more sense.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:41 PM
DIGItonium

STI? [evil laugh! muhaahhaah!
Z33? [muahahaahh!]

I love Skidazzle's TT setup.

Are you doing FI or NA? There are lots of NA parts, but the costs add up quite significantly.