Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

crank pulley/ crankcase

Old 06-07-2010, 11:07 AM
rips350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank pulley/ crankcase

so ive been leaking a lil oil took it into the shop today, they put a new crankcase gasket on, but noticed that my crank pulley was cracked end to end.... that blows... but the real question is they are charging me 600 for parts and labor? am i gettin screwed or what?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:40 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are talking about the crank seal located on the front? The part # for that is:
13510-31U10. The cost I paid for that part was $7.34 from Grubbos.

I would say reasonable labor to remove crank pulley and replace seal and put back on crank pulley would be ~1 labor hour. Unless you have an aftermarket lightweight pulley that might have a hard time cominf. Do you have stock or aftermarket crank pulley?

$600 is way too much in my opinion..

Did they replace anything else? What does it say on your invoice?

Was was crank pulley cracked before you brought it there? Do you think they cracked it? Either way they shouldn't be charging your $600 for that and should inform you of a cracked crank pully if they put it back on like that. Unless you are leaving out something...
Old 06-07-2010, 11:53 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Buy my OEM crank pulley then you just have to pay for labor...
Old 06-07-2010, 11:55 AM
rips350z

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
You are talking about the crank seal located on the front? The part # for that is:
13510-31U10. The cost I paid for that part was $7.34 from Grubbos.

I would say reasonable labor to remove crank pulley and replace seal and put back on crank pulley would be ~1 labor hour. Unless you have an aftermarket lightweight pulley that might have a hard time cominf. Do you have stock or aftermarket crank pulley?

$600 is way too much in my opinion..

Did they replace anything else? What does it say on your invoice?

Was was crank pulley cracked before you brought it there? Do you think they cracked it? Either way they shouldn't be charging your $600 for that and should inform you of a cracked crank pully if they put it back on like that. Unless you are leaving out something...

no, i just droped it off today, to get the seal replaced, they said around 2 hrs labor, while they pulled it off they called me back and said that i had a crank pulley crack from end to end, and the part would cost me 400. the seal was 46 something, i dont believe thats the correct seal but then again im not a "certified" mech. i was told it was my front crank case assm. seal/gasket. im getting pretty pissed cus i just looked around online i could get an aftermarket set for around the same price if not cheaper, then again im not sure if i am looking at the right stuff... does that crank pulley have a damper?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:56 AM
rips350z

Originally Posted by 350z006
Buy my OEM crank pulley then you just have to pay for labor...
how much?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:02 PM
jonnylaw

Most aftermarket lightweight pulleys do NOT have any kind of damper. I would not recommend those. The only aftermarket ones that do are Fluidampr, ATI, etc.

I would stick with oem if you are N/A

I bought the seal for ~$7, the crank bolt for ~$5, and the actual OEM crank pulley for ~$190. I bought this from Grubbs on the phone (online pricing). The order was dropped shipped and I received it 1-2 days later.

They are really inflating the price on those parts...They are trying to charge you well above retail price for those parts...
Old 06-07-2010, 12:12 PM
rips350z

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Most aftermarket lightweight pulleys do NOT have any kind of damper. I would not recommend those. The only aftermarket ones that do are Fluidampr, ATI, etc.

I would stick with oem if you are N/A

I bought the seal for ~$7, the crank bolt for ~$5, and the actual OEM crank pulley for ~$190. I bought this from Grubbs on the phone (online pricing). The order was dropped shipped and I received it 1-2 days later.

They are really inflating the price on those parts...They are trying to charge you well above retail price for those parts...
the oem does the correct? and dam man this was supposed to be a "friend"
Old 06-07-2010, 12:32 PM
jonnylaw

^^The OEM has a rubber ring that acts as a kind of "damper". It is debated whether its purpose is to minimize NVH, or to actually protect the crank from torsional vibrations. But imo, its better than nothing.

If it's a "friend", I'd ask if you can order the parts yourself, or if he can price match an online dealer like Grubbs.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Jairen

My G is actually at at the dealer right now for the same issue. I was leaking oil and they said my crank pulley was cracked and also needed and oil seal. They then called me back and said they want to look into it more. Possibly to see if anymore damage has occured.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:59 PM
rips350z

Originally Posted by Jairen
My G is actually at at the dealer right now for the same issue. I was leaking oil and they said my crank pulley was cracked and also needed and oil seal. They then called me back and said they want to look into it more. Possibly to see if anymore damage has occured.
and what is the dealer charging, cus this should be a whole lot cheapier than dealer pricing!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:22 PM
rips350z

well its all good, i went over and talked to him and explained everything, thanks guys