Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Tomei 268 Cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 10:51 AM
g356gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Installed

Originally posted by mjedens
Adam ( Performance) was right on when he stated " I'm curios to see the A/F ratios after the 268's are installed!! Dyno'ed yesterday and the A/F stayed over 15 until 5000 rpm's and then drifted to about 13.8 @ 7000 rpm's! I'll be sending back my ECU (along with the charts) to TS to see what they can do with it. All I had TS due the first go around was to add fuel (upper range) & remove rev limiters! Because I also run n20, I opted out of advancing the timing! I had an increase of 28.7 RWHP but keep in mind I also switched to a JWT flywheel along with the internals ( pistons & rods) ! My car is no longer " driver friendly " with the stage 3 clutch , flywheel, & cams @ lower rpm's but I like it!! ( very noticable " lope "). I did need the 16 additional lifters for those that were interested.
I am really surprised at the A/F ratios with the cams. You would think the ecu would read the lean condition from the O2 sensors and try to richen it up a bit. Maybe time for an Apexi V-AFC 2 to add the extra fuel. There's should be no way the injectors are at their max duty cycle.....nothing has really been changed with the fuel system ( like with FI )
Old 11-24-2003, 11:14 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

mjedens, is there any need (or benefit) of running a higher octane with your new setup?
Old 11-24-2003, 11:16 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there is only so much room the stock ecu has to work with

this car is begging for some form of programmable engine management...not something I would personally trust to mail order
Old 11-24-2003, 12:09 PM
UnderPressure

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
yikes- that is dangerously lean. Car should be running the high 12's on a wideband at WOT.
Side note:

Every 350Z we have dyno'd has run an a/f of ~13.5 stock. An a/f of ~12.5 is considered "high" for forced induction, not n/a.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:14 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

how are you measuring that A/F? What kind of meter? Located where?
Old 11-24-2003, 01:02 PM
mjedens

Default Adam

I don't think you were asking me but mine was measured with a wide band on a bung located on the test pipe. ( New Info ) Just got off the line with technosuare telling them I was sending back my ECU so they could add some fuel down low and they wanted $150. for what they said was going to be a custom job!!! That would mean I've given them $750. to take the speed limiter off, increase the rev limiter, and add some fuel. That's "BS"!!! I'll park the son of a ***** until I find another way to adjust the A/F , no matter what it costs. Any ideas? Mike

Last edited by mjedens; 11-24-2003 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:07 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WTH? I thought there was a 1 time fee?
Old 11-24-2003, 01:09 PM
ravaz

Get a stand alone and call it a day. You've spent this much already, why not just get a stand alone like a FAST system or DFI Gen7 and not worry about the stock ECU? Your about halfway there already with what you spent with TS...
Old 11-24-2003, 01:13 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i was quoted the regular 600 for a tweaked ecu flash for my mods. but if i wanted to strap the car on a dyno for TS to tune, then it would cost more obviously.

TS needs to be more specific with their "one-time fee" policy. i dont think you should be charged the extra 150 as long as you pay for the shipping costs.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Mike - I heard something interesting today as far as an ecu option....want to do some more digging before I tell you about it though
Old 11-24-2003, 01:44 PM
UnderPressure

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
how are you measuring that A/F? What kind of meter? Located where?
A/F has been read from the tail pipe using both a Motec Wideband and Autronic Analyzer Model B. The readings from both units have been ~13.5-8 @ WOT. We dyno quite a few race only, leaded fuel, cars so we change out O2 sensors on a regular basis.

Have you been seeing different numbers from cars on your dyno?
Old 11-24-2003, 01:55 PM
UnderPressure

Originally posted by ravaz
Get a stand alone and call it a day. You've spent this much already, why not just get a stand alone like a FAST system or DFI Gen7 and not worry about the stock ECU? Your about halfway there already with what you spent with TS...
Do yourself a favor and forget about Accel DFI or Fast. Both of these systems are goods in their own right. ie. F-bodies or 5.0's. The real advatage these systems offer for the afore mentioned vehicles are the use of factory type connectors. This makes the wiring harness a psuedo plug & play.

However.... the interface and software is horrible compared to any of the other options, Autronic, AEM, Motec. As well as the prefabricated harnesses suck when it comes to routing on any other type of vehicle. A wiring harness designed to plug onto a 5.0 will cause you to have nightmares when installing on any other motor. Even it's close cousin the 4.6, trust me on this one....

Personally I'm working on installing an Autronic SM2 on my Z. I've had this project on hold for a while but now I have time and funds to finish it. I'll post result once it's finished and tuned.

Sorry for the off topic responses.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:06 PM
Blownaway

Wow, This concerns me. I have all of these parts ready to go and already sent an email to Technosquare about it and there response was odd, they said that they wernt looking to sponsor a show car, bo where in my email did I ask them to sponsor anything, seemed really arrogant to me. I emailed them a mod list and said can you make me a program for it. But I have all of this stuff waiting to go and dont want to be dicking around with not being able to tune it. I am up for another source as well, please keep me in the loop.

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:12 PM
apsilon

Sorry to continue off topic but all you guys looking at replacement ECUs, what are you going to do about ABS, VDC/TC, EBD, throttle etc?
Old 11-24-2003, 02:22 PM
UnderPressure

Originally posted by apsilon
Sorry to continue off topic but all you guys looking at replacement ECUs, what are you going to do about ABS, VDC/TC, EBD, throttle etc?
All the standalone will control is the engine management. Stock ECU will still control VDC, ABS etc... Stock ECU will also control cam timing for the meantime until a method of management can be devised.
Throttle body control is handled outside of the Stock ECU and Standalone.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:28 PM
apsilon

OK, I was under the impression you were completely removing the stock ECU but you're just using the same functionality as the piggybacks just in a superior unit with more control.

Throttle body control is handled outside of the Stock ECU and Standalone

Not sure what you mean here. Does this mean going to a mechanical throttle setup?
Old 11-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

UnderPressure - only car we checked A/F on was mine using the Horiba wideband, mounted at the joint of the "Y"...read in the high 12's at WOT in the upper rpm ranges. So you are doing a similar setup to what we have done with standalone on Subaru's for years - a quasi piggyback, where the ecu controls fuel and timing, and the stock ecu controls everything else.....should work nicely! We had planned on doing this to mine as well using a TECIII (we are long time Electromotive users), though with this new info I have, may be trying something else out.

if you are seeing mid 13's at test pipe side (just off the manifold), that is crazy lean...definately get something in there to take care of it!
Old 11-24-2003, 02:51 PM
UnderPressure

Originally posted by apsilon
Not sure what you mean here. Does this mean going to a mechanical throttle setup?
No, keeping the throttle-by-wire system, we just have a few ideas on how to actuate the throttle plate. Going to try 2 or 3 ideas and see what works best. Ie. having the accel vs throttle position a linear function or non-linear. Yet another part of the project I'll keep the board updated on.

Z1...
PM me with this mystery info. I have a guess as to what it might be.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:06 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

TP should be easy to actuate so long as your intended ecu has a powered output. I have not looked at the schematics for it yet, but IIRC its solenoid activated no?
Old 11-25-2003, 06:26 AM
g356gear

mjedens,
Which pistons are being used with this set-up?? What compression is it running? I wonder if the piston design could have any effect on the A/F ratios we are seeing with this set-up.

Quick Reply: Tomei 268 Cams