Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

30 gallons of c10

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:29 AM
*Boose*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30 gallons of c10

So, here in. South dakota good gas (93 oct) is hard to find. So I contacted my nearest vp dealer and they have c10 (96 oct) unleaded gas at a decent price. Anyone have experience with vp or the c10 gas?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:55 AM
John@z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

Yes. VP makes good gas
Old 07-12-2010, 12:17 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i love vp race fuels. The midwest regional office is about 2 miles from my house in indiana. Unfortunately i'm in stl for school though.

What fuel do you have up there? should have at least 91. Also in that area, at least far northwest iowa, e85 is everywhere so why not try upgrading your fuel system and runnign that? After a few tanks of c10 you could pay for the fuel upgrades to run e85.

WHy would you chose c10 over anythign else if you are tunign for performance? If i was spending the cash on that fuel i would at least get 110. The only way i would run the 96 is if you're getting it at less than 4$ a gallon. 30 gallons will run out pretty fast just driving the car around. If it's for track use and you plan on switching fuels back and forth first try to drain the tank completely one time then you'll realize that it's not realistic to do that all the time and you won't want to.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:05 PM
*Boose*

Thanks for the replies. But e85 requires at least 550cc injectors and that's overkill for my current and future setup. Now that's also what I read so it could be or could not be true.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:26 PM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

C10 is going to be better than pump gas and would allow for some additional timing and more aggressive tuning but if you want to stay with an unleaded fuel I would recommend going with Streetblaze 100 or MS109 from VP. Both of those are oxygenated fuels and will make more power over comparable octane fuels because of the fast burn charactaristics of oxygenated fuels.

That said, no race fuel is going to be worth the money unless you tune for it. Unless you're just planning on mixing it with low octane pump gas to create a substitute for premium gas.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:17 PM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by bryan@Z1
C10 is going to be better than pump gas and would allow for some additional timing and more aggressive tuning but if you want to stay with an unleaded fuel I would recommend going with Streetblaze 100 or MS109 from VP. Both of those are oxygenated fuels and will make more power over comparable octane fuels because of the fast burn charactaristics of oxygenated fuels.

That said, no race fuel is going to be worth the money unless you tune for it. Unless you're just planning on mixing it with low octane pump gas to create a substitute for premium gas.

That's the plan. I do like what the MS109 offers and the reason is to mix and make better than 93 octane. The closest station with 93 octane is shell that's 46 miles away. So to make it worthwhile I figured I'd mix around 96-98 octane with 91 to create a 93+ octane gas mix. Plus our 350Z's Ecu will add additional timing automatically.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:52 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

93 in Texas all day long...
Old 07-12-2010, 03:20 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vo7848
93 in Texas all day long...
Same here in MD.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:31 PM
SamSpicer

+1 on 93 all day in VA
Old 07-12-2010, 06:36 PM
binder

Originally Posted by *Boose*
Thanks for the replies. But e85 requires at least 550cc injectors and that's overkill for my current and future setup. Now that's also what I read so it could be or could not be true.
you need 1.4 times the fuel you have on pump gas. So stock 280's would need to be 400cc injectors IF you are maxing out 280's. on bolt ons you aren't close to maxing stock injectors so you could get 440's and drop them in with no problems.

and it won't be overkill because it will be what you require, overkill is OVER what you need

truthfully it'll be easier to drop some 300$ injectors in than mixing fuels and all that jazz. Plus the cost of shipping fuel isn't cheap.

Also, the ecu in open loop has a set timing map, if it detects knock it switches to a lower timing map (high det map) but there is no "high timing" map. You're thinking of the closed loop cruise when the timing is pushed to hte max over and over again and the ecu keeps adding until it cant take anymore. To advance the timing for a performance gain in open loop you would have to adjust with a tune.

If you are trying to raise your gas by mixing i wouldn't use the oxygenated fuels but i truthfully would use the highest octane fuel they have so you don't have to use as much fuel to raise the octane. c16 is 116 octane so that will give you the higest octane for the least amount of gallons of c16 mixed with your fuel.

what did you even say the octane there is? You truthfully aren't going to get any performance gain from going up from 91 to a 93 fuel if you do'nt tune for not. Not trying to hate, but you'll just be wasting your money in all honesty.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:40 PM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by binder
you need 1.4 times the fuel you have on pump gas. So stock 280's would need to be 400cc injectors IF you are maxing out 280's. on bolt ons you aren't close to maxing stock injectors so you could get 440's and drop them in with no problems.

and it won't be overkill because it will be what you require, overkill is OVER what you need

truthfully it'll be easier to drop some 300$ injectors in than mixing fuels and all that jazz. Plus the cost of shipping fuel isn't cheap.

Also, the ecu in open loop has a set timing map, if it detects knock it switches to a lower timing map (high det map) but there is no "high timing" map. You're thinking of the closed loop cruise when the timing is pushed to hte max over and over again and the ecu keeps adding until it cant take anymore. To advance the timing for a performance gain in open loop you would have to adjust with a tune.

If you are trying to raise your gas by mixing i wouldn't use the oxygenated fuels but i truthfully would use the highest octane fuel they have so you don't have to use as much fuel to raise the octane. c16 is 116 octane so that will give you the higest octane for the least amount of gallons of c16 mixed with your fuel.

what did you even say the octane there is? You truthfully aren't going to get any performance gain from going up from 91 to a 93 fuel if you do'nt tune for not. Not trying to hate, but you'll just be wasting your money in all honesty.

Thanks for the input. The injector idea sounds great. Now voiding my warranty doesn't. I do all of my maintenance on my car however, having an 06 that's under warranty, I need to watch my mods. Simply because if my engine decides it wants to consume then I'm ****ed. So I trying to keep the modding to a minimum until after 60k miles and then I will let loose. But excellent information you provided.

Also the C16 gas is leaded gas. I'm not sure what it would require for me to modify my car to run a leaded gas mix, so that's why I'm trying to stick to the cleaner burning oxygenated gasolines. There is an option for the 101 I believe which I may give some thought to. The part that really made sense was instead of using say 10 gallons of 91 to make 93 octane why not use 3 gallons of 101. So I may choose that route.

E85 also is very readily available here. I may do more research on that option. But like I said I like my 06 under warranty for the just incase moments of oil consumption. Also the shipping isnt that bad. It's $135 flat rate.

Last edited by *Boose*; 07-12-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:38 AM
binder

Originally Posted by *Boose*
Thanks for the input. The injector idea sounds great. Now voiding my warranty doesn't. I do all of my maintenance on my car however, having an 06 that's under warranty, I need to watch my mods. Simply because if my engine decides it wants to consume then I'm ****ed. So I trying to keep the modding to a minimum until after 60k miles and then I will let loose. But excellent information you provided.

Also the C16 gas is leaded gas. I'm not sure what it would require for me to modify my car to run a leaded gas mix, so that's why I'm trying to stick to the cleaner burning oxygenated gasolines. There is an option for the 101 I believe which I may give some thought to. The part that really made sense was instead of using say 10 gallons of 91 to make 93 octane why not use 3 gallons of 101. So I may choose that route.

E85 also is very readily available here. I may do more research on that option. But like I said I like my 06 under warranty for the just incase moments of oil consumption. Also the shipping isnt that bad. It's $135 flat rate.
I think your'e confused about oxygenated verses leaded. They are 2 different things. Regular fuel is not oxygenated. Race fuels ADD oxygen only in some blends. When you do that you will actually run lean until you adjust with a tune so oxygenated fuels would not benefit you.

also, since you are not tuning the timing, like i stated before, you will see zero gain in performance. The car doesn't increase performance based on octane, it only decreases performance if there is a lack thereof. I cars only have a low det map and high det map. it will switch to high det map if it senses knock but it won't increase timing over the low det map. It has no way of doing it.

So i think you're on a track of wasting money and spinning your wheels. You don't plan on modding which means no tuning mods therefore no performance increase from an increase in octane. Just like putting 93 in a honda civic that only needs 87 octane will yield zero performance.