Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Built motor questions? Help from engine builders please/ knowledge on VQ builds

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:14 PM
realtor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built motor questions? Help from engine builders please/ knowledge on VQ builds

Hello,

I got a built VQ motor with the following:

Eagle Rods, Arp rod bolts, oem bearings, rev up oil pump, ur idler pulley, and CP pistons at 8.8 compression bored .020 over.

Motor was dynoed after breakin and had a 250 shot of direct port nitrous shot into it

Now for teardown info:

5 out of 6 NGK( 5 step colder) spark plugs were in pieces. Mechanic says he see pitting in the pistons through the spark plug holes and most likely the pistons are JUNK. Most likely only thing left that maybe good is the rods....

What do you guys think???? Is this motor even worth the effort to rebuild or is the only thing worth keeping are the eagle rods??? CAN the pistons pitting be removed at a machine shop???

And no I did not do this I bought the car with this blown motor and it now has a stock, used motor in it and I have this huge paper weight as a result. Any value in this motor what do you guys think this motor is worth right now??

thanks
Old 07-20-2010, 12:54 AM
wannabuy350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

replace pistons. are you looking to sell the built motor? what are your goals
Old 07-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by realtor
Hello,

I got a built VQ motor with the following:

Eagle Rods, Arp rod bolts, oem bearings, rev up oil pump, ur idler pulley, and CP pistons at 8.8 compression bored .020 over.

Motor was dynoed after breakin and had a 250 shot of direct port nitrous shot into it

Now for teardown info:

5 out of 6 NGK( 5 step colder) spark plugs were in pieces. Mechanic says he see pitting in the pistons through the spark plug holes and most likely the pistons are JUNK. Most likely only thing left that maybe good is the rods....

What do you guys think???? Is this motor even worth the effort to rebuild or is the only thing worth keeping are the eagle rods??? CAN the pistons pitting be removed at a machine shop???

And no I did not do this I bought the car with this blown motor and it now has a stock, used motor in it and I have this huge paper weight as a result. Any value in this motor what do you guys think this motor is worth right now??

thanks
1 hours work max & you could have all stripped down.

15 mins inspection will determine extent of the damage.

If the damage is too bad you now have a lot of smaller paper weights which are far easier to dispose of.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:03 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you'll have to strip it down and see. 250 shot of nitrous wouldn't kill a built engine if properly tuned. That's just at 500hp. So you need to find out exactly why it died.

Also, if it was from detonation that destroyed it then the rods could be bent along with crank, bearings coudl be shot...who knows. Tear down is the only thing that will tell.

i'm curious, where do you find 5 step colder plugs? you know they don't exsist right? someone's cranking your chain on that and who knows what else on this engine then.