Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Transmission tapping, cylinder knocking..

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Deedilus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission tapping, cylinder knocking..

Hey everyone, I'm in some real need of help right now; so please if you're going to reply please contribute to the thread seriously. My baby is sitting outside in the street, undriveable and that's hard enough to deal with.

Anyway, I took my 05 base to a drift event today, I occasionally drift and tonight I really wanted to go so I could test out my new power steering cooler.

First run was great, was a great drift and everything with the car was perfect except for a little squishier clutch.

Second run, there was a little less power and I stopped it early. Unfortunately though upon stopping, the engine stalled. I start it back up and it has trouble turning back on, didn't take forever but much longer than usual. About 2-3 longish start up attempts before the engine actually turned. There also was a faint tapping somewhere from the bowels of the engine.

First thing we did was check the oil, and to our utter surprise there was barely ANY oil left in the engine. Just a small little streak at the very tip of the dip stick. We went and got some more oil, and for the record it was castrol full synthetic 10W-40. The previous owner went synthetic and the car has 108k miles on it, for the record; which explains that oil choice.

Got oil in the engine, and the loud tapping disappeared, sure enough. However there was still a faint tapping from something that we ended up deciding was part of the transmission. I am due for replacing spark plugs and checking all of my fluids, which are on order and I am currently waiting to arrive (Thanks, MyNismo, I appreciate the 3+ days and still not having my order shipped yet), so we also considered this.

We took it for a very calm and very low-revving test drive to see whatsup, it drove fine but it was idling very low, prob at around 400 generally. When revved above 2000 in neutral or with the clutch in, the car would die. The tapping from the transmission got quieter and quieter with each gear, however during a downshift the engine revved to above 3000 and after that the engine is knocking HORRIBLY.

Now that I've finished a novel of the events that occurred tonight, what do you think? I'm heading to the closest (and the only open) Nissan dealership tomorrow morning and telling them everything, and getting a written quote on exactly what they are going to do to look at it and how much it will cost me, as well as seeing about possibly getting a rental. Then I'll have the car towed to them and they can start going down the list and letting me know exactly what is going on.

But if there are any other thoughts on what should be done now, they would be extremely appreciated... I love my Z and the fact that she's sitting outside with a possibly wrecked engine is probably making me feel the worst I've ever felt.

For what it's worth, my Z is N/A with the following done to the engine and other components of that nature (so, this list is not including suspension): JWT Pop Charger, Invidia G200, Exedy clutch, R1 18 lb light weight flywheel.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Deedilus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, nevermind I just finished an entire day of discussing everything with the best mechanics that I know. Bearings are completely gone and the engine needs to be rebuilt / replaced.

So I'm doing a V8 swap. I'm going to part out the tranny/ECU/Engine Harness/Drive shaft pretty soon, so if you're in need of any of those for some reason, let me know or just keep an eye out.

It'll be done in about 3-4 weeks if we get started soon, so when we finish I'll be posting up how everything went and all of the details.

Everything happens for a reason .
Old 08-02-2010, 07:24 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure you check the oil often, especially before track days next time? Good luck... I was gonna say, your engine is toast, but your mechanic let you know that. As soon as your oil gets down to a couple quarts there's no saving it.