Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Cold Start Clutch Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Wu-Watt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Start Clutch Noise

Check the vid.. This is a Exedy stage 1 w/Fidanza fly approx 10k miles on it.
When I first got the car back from the shop I suspected a bad install because the clutch slipped a few times on very mild takeoffs.. I really think the disc was glazed. I have personally witnessed the one retard drive my car and produce a clutch smell because he couldnt find the engagement point, and instead just kept reving it and letting the clutch out a bit! I had issues with finding the engagement point also for a while after the install. I think that was because of the disc being glazed. Now the engagement is fine, but I'm having issues.
So the car started making this noise last year roughly 6 months after the install, but not all the time. Now this year its every cold start.

The GRRRR noise is when the clutch is DEPRESSED.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trqI-uhP50Y

**There is one other issue I'm having. I started getting the sloppy clutch pedal in hot weather and fixed that with a SS line and Motul.
Now when I'm driving the crap out of the Z like I'm supposed to, the clutch pedal doesn't want to return. If I shift around or above 6k the pedal sinks and it feels like it's lost pressure. Then I pull it up and use it a couple times on regular shifts and it feels fine again. I have replaced the master and slave cylinders, tried bleeding a couple times, and wrapped the flex and hard line well with heat wrap.
I'm thinking that either there is air trapped in the line still somewhere, or the pressure plate is sticking to the disc.
PLEASE HELP ME I'M GOIN CRAZY!
The clutch holds fine no slipping, I can peel out no problem. I have tried going up a steep hill in 5th and flooring it. Holds... I tried really aggressive takeoffs. Holds...

Last edited by Wu-Watt; 09-21-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:44 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Throwout bearing.