Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Wheel Hop during Burnouts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 09:43 AM
FLY BY Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you need to do a burnout you are probably at the 1/4 mile track. Even then, on street tires, you will only need to do a short one to clean off the tires and maybe get a little heat in them. Anything more and they become averse to traction. When you do your burnout, pull around the water so you don't get any in the treads and drag it up to the line and have it drip out of the treads and kill your traction. Pull around the water, back up a little but not in the water and do your burnout in 2nd gear. Rev it to about 3500 and drop the clutch and modulate the throttle to keep the tires spinning. Remember to keep it short otherwise you are hurting launch performance and wasting your tires. There you have it. Also, if you are doing this anywhere other than the burnout box at your local strip, might I ask how you like high school? I loved the big smoky burnout back then and did plenty of them, but come on. How retarded is it now when you see some kid smokin the tires? It's cool for mag photos but I think it is childish on the street, IMO.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:42 AM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
Also, if you are doing this anywhere other than the burnout box at your local strip, might I ask how you like high school? I loved the big smoky burnout back then and did plenty of them, but come on. How retarded is it now when you see some kid smokin the tires?
Thank you, but I did'nt ask how you aproach the burn out pit at the strip and didnt ask if it was childish.........I truly dont give a ****.........what I did ask was any information on improving the rear suspension so I can eliminate rear end wheel hop. Any car that handles good.........PORSCHE, CORVETTE, MERCEDES, BMW, ETC, ETC, ETC........can do a burn out for 50 feet..........what I am saying is "IF I DID A BURN OUT FOR 50 FEET" my rear end would probably fall out at about 8 feet.

So........if I am correct after reading all the post left to my question the answer from most of you is:

1.) The car was set up for handling thus it wont do a burn out.......LOL, thats ********.

2.) I am a child in high school.......LOL, no I am a 32 year old male that would like to do a burn out if I want to and not the other way around.

3.) Air Pressure is the problem.....LOL, pressure dosent have to do with this problem. On the road I am at 35 PSI all the way around and at the strip I am at 18psi........same results

4.) Get traction bars, coilovers, etc, etc....YAY......this sounds like someone might have a ****ing clue as far as what the real problem may be. Thank you for your positive imput.

Let me say this one more time............its not about highschool or some other smart *** remark, it is about "REAR END WHEEL HOP" and a possible cure.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Hop during Burnouts?-car.jpg  

Last edited by CaLiFoRnIaZ; 11-19-2003 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Drag Limited

Try to stiffen up the engine and related components from moving. You want to get your suspension in the rear to be soft with all other components stiff. (such as bushings) I have also noticed that when you do a burnout with lack of power getting down the tire gets the ability to try to grip giving you a hop sensation. Try putting more speed to your tires by going higher in the revs in second gear and dumping the clutch. Giving the tires no chance to try to get grip. This also produces more smoke. <~ the reason automatic drag cars produce more at the strip because they can shift into the highest gear possible speeding up the tire more and producting more heat, friction, smoke.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:08 AM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Originally posted by Drag Limited
Try to stiffen up the engine and related components from moving. You want to get your suspension in the rear to be soft with all other components stiff. (such as bushings) I have also noticed that when you do a burnout with lack of power getting down the tire gets the ability to try to grip giving you a hop sensation. Try putting more speed to your tires by going higher in the revs in second gear and dumping the clutch. Giving the tires no chance to try to get grip. This also produces more smoke. <~ the reason automatic drag cars produce more at the strip because they can shift into the highest gear possible speeding up the tire more and producting more heat, friction, smoke.

Thxs for your kind imput.....
Old 11-19-2003, 11:12 AM
Topics II

Sometimes i burn out of the box when drifting, never really noticed too much wheel hop. I have full coilovers and rear traction rods/camber rods. Even when i had the stock diff i didnt really notice. And it seems even easier with the Kaaz diff.

Maybe this helps?
Old 11-19-2003, 11:59 AM
D_Nyholm

I ran into this same problem when I was at the drag strip trying to do burnouts. One thing that I did notice that solved the problem is the RPM's. If i tried to dump the clutch at 3000 or a little more and keep it around there, the wheel hop would be horrible. Then, if I dumped the clutch at 5000+ and really shocked the drivetrain, it would burn like no tomorrow, nice and smooth. I have a video of it up close and you can see the wheel hop in it, but when the RPM's rise, the wheel hop goes away. If ya want the video, e-mail me at dnyholm@optonline.net
Old 11-19-2003, 01:27 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no if you go sideways on a drift you wont get hob, physics of it cant... not the right direction of slip for it to hop.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:43 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Kevin, if you do go coilovers, consider Teins with EDFC. The EDFC allows you to adjust the ride harshness setting from within the car (as your driving if you like). It has 16 different settings ranging from softer than stock to much harder than stock. You could turn it hard (16) to burn your tires off, then pick your wife up (click it to maybe 3 if she like a soft ride) and go out to dinner. For the ultimate in ride height, ride hardness, and performnce handling, coilovers are the real answer.

The JIC's are considered slightly better for pure track applications but the Teins give a great amount of flexibility from within the car in less than 2 seconds. The JIC can be adjusted but you need to do each corner and it takes more effort. It sounds to me like you want to smoke those tires and then just drive it minutes later and have the best of both worlds.

Now tryy to lighten up on flaming me, I am just trying to help.

Jeff - zland
Old 11-19-2003, 01:50 PM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Originally posted by zland
Kevin, if you do go coilovers, consider Teins with EDFC. The EDFC allows you to adjust the ride harshness setting from within the car (as your driving if you like). It has 16 different settings ranging from softer than stock to much harder than stock. You could turn it hard (16) to burn your tires off, then pick your wife up (click it to maybe 3 if she like a soft ride) and go out to dinner. For the ultimate in ride height, ride hardness, and performnce handling, coilovers are the real answer.

The JIC's are considered slightly better for pure track applications but the Teins give a great amount of flexibility from within the car in less than 2 seconds. The JIC can be adjusted but you need to do each corner and it takes more effort. It sounds to me like you want to smoke those tires and then just drive it minutes later and have the best of both worlds.

Now tryy to lighten up on flaming me, I am just trying to help.

Jeff - zland
Thank you Jeff.......you seem to be a wise individual.......
Old 11-19-2003, 02:34 PM
FLY BY Z

Geez can't a guy have an opinion? I think the issue is that you are 32 and doing burnouts on the street. You are the oldest squirrel I have ever seen! Have fun, I guess. I was just trying to help you with your obviously flawed driving technique as many others are not having wheel hop problems. Only those who are doing low RPM 1st gear burnouts. You just can't give the tire a chance to try to grab. That is what causes them. You don't need new suspension parts. This is fact not flame. Don't be so sensitive.

By the way, I can also teach you how to create a sig so you don't have to attach an image to EVERY post you make.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:40 PM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
Geez can't a guy have an opinion? I think the issue is that you are 32 and doing burnouts on the street. You are the oldest squirrel I have ever seen! Have fun, I guess. I was just trying to help you with your obviously flawed driving technique as many others are not having wheel hop problems. Only those who are doing low RPM 1st gear burnouts. You just can't give the tire a chance to try to grab. That is what causes them. You don't need new suspension parts. This is fact not flame. Don't be so sensitive.

By the way, I can also teach you how to create a sig so you don't have to attach an image to EVERY post you make.

Thank you Mr Potato.........Sorry for getting a lil squirrely on ya.........I do ty for your imput though............and yes help me with my attachment..........Thxs again to all!!!!!
Old 11-19-2003, 04:32 PM
FLY BY Z

If you want me to host your image let me know. You can just paste the URL into your sig.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:52 PM
Tex Willer

Default Re: Wheel Hop during Burnouts?

Originally posted by CaLiFoRnIaZ
This may be the wrong place to post this but I am sure other people get wild rear wheel hop when doing a burn out, I DO BAD and can't stand it, basically makes it so I cant do a burn out. Does anybody have a solution to this problem????

thxs in advance!
I have massive wheelhop at the track too. A few times it got so bad that the vibration on car made me miss-shift 2nd gear. It really gets worse with colder weather or on wet tarmac. best launches I get at 2000rpm smooth slidding, get greddy and drop too fast and it's jackhammer time. One side hops more than the other, can't quite remeber which. Had car realigned, didn't do ****.
best time 13.965@102 bone stock.

G35c has same problem. 300zx was known for wheelhop problems, people used stiffer(polyurethane) bushings for fix. 350evo has some bushings for 350z, I don't have a clue if they will solve problem, can be a pain in the *** to install and they can be noisy. automatic 350z doesn't wheelhop... so maybe it's also related to drifeshaft windup and transmission... tires certainly have something to do with it, maybe LSD.... honestly I don't even want to think about it, I gave up

.... it sucks, it's just impossible to do a decent wheelspin... I even had wheelhop when just floring it in 1st gear on wet road, without even touching the cluctch.

BTW, porsches, BMWs, mercedes, etc can wheelhop too, it really doesn't take that much for a RWD car to start wheelhopping. The 350z(mine at least) does it always, real bad, and from the first time I tryied a wheelspin...

Last edited by Tex Willer; 11-19-2003 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:04 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the guys who have wheel hop problems have the limited slip differential or the single spinner?
Old 11-19-2003, 07:29 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by zillinois
Do the guys who have wheel hop problems have the limited slip differential or the single spinner?
I just converted my 6mt sedan to the stock viscious limited slip. Now before that I did purposely do a burnout. No wheel hop, but it wasn't what I'd call a high traction surface either. Now, flash forward to the day I got the call from the install dealer that my LSD swap was done. The service manager tells me, "yeah everything went great, except you have wheel hop now". I haven't tried it, but I launch aggresively without any problems. Makes me wish I was a fly on the wall when they test drove my car, lil to much fun I'd say .
Old 11-19-2003, 08:47 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by Gsedan35
I just converted my 6mt sedan to the stock viscious limited slip. Now before that I did purposely do a burnout. No wheel hop, but it wasn't what I'd call a high traction surface either. Now, flash forward to the day I got the call from the install dealer that my LSD swap was done. The service manager tells me, "yeah everything went great, except you have wheel hop now". I haven't tried it, but I launch aggresively without any problems. Makes me wish I was a fly on the wall when they test drove my car, lil to much fun I'd say .
I can't beleive they told you that.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:21 PM
IndySmooth

Input pal...the word... is input.

Hate to be a dick (okay maybe I enjoy it), but I can only take so much.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:48 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by IndySmooth
Input pal...the word... is input.

Hate to be a dick (okay maybe I enjoy it), but I can only take so much.
Who and what are you talking about?
Old 11-19-2003, 09:55 PM
IndySmooth

Originally posted by CaLiFoRnIaZ
...I do ty for your imput though

Thxs for your kind imput.....
Old 11-19-2003, 10:04 PM
FLY BY Z

oh yeah.

Quick Reply: Wheel Hop during Burnouts?