Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Loud air escaping noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Mcutali

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re

got a buddy, with same issue except he knows and deals with it, brake booster leaking. has to top off the fluid every month
Old 03-08-2011, 02:20 AM
TURBOROADSTER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By some of the responses I've received , this is exactly why I was hesitant to ask questions on this forum . I thought 350Z owners would be more mature
.If I wanted juvenile answers , I would of asked on a Honda forum . I realize now that every forum has them , but Thanks anyway to those members that actually replied with educated answers .
Old 03-08-2011, 05:17 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 413 Likes on 236 Posts
Default yeah?!

hey turboroadster..

its a forum, and a family.
Youve been here for 24 posts.. what gives you any right to judge our forum poorly?

We're not on here to be mature just for you, forums like this create a culture... and a fun one at that.

Would you walk into my house and tell me to take my feet off the coffee table? Well dont do it here either please.

there wasnt a SINGLE nasty comment up there on this thread. we dont know bro, its a wierd problem that doesnt make sense. But the active issue here is : Dont get all chapped about it.

Honda forum? Please. If you dont want the occasional "juvenille" answers, then stick with the guys at your local dealership sir. There were several posts that posed some possible answers for you... but go ahead and burn bridges, i mean.. its a brand new week to not make friends i guess.

I cant STAND posts like that. Sorry to vent but man.. cant stand it. Alpha dog don't like

UNSUBSCRIBED.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:20 AM
LuciaPwNs

^ouch^

ANYWAY...is your BOV adjustable? Maybe you are venting at low boost? being at 25 in third requires you to press the gas a good bit possibly taking you out of vacuum?

Last edited by LuciaPwNs; 03-08-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:36 AM
MKZ33

Originally Posted by Mcutali
got a buddy, with same issue except he knows and deals with it, brake booster leaking. has to top off the fluid every month
Mcutali actually has a very good guess, I had a brake booster go bad on my parents SUV and it made a very simular sound. When this noise happens again press down on the brake and see if it stops.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:45 AM
TURBOROADSTER

Originally Posted by bmccann101
hey turboroadster..

Youve been here for 24 posts.. what gives you any right to judge our forum poorly?

We're not on here to be mature just for you, forums like this create a culture... and a fun one at that.

Would you walk into my house and tell me to take my feet off the coffee table? Well dont do it here either please.

there wasnt a SINGLE nasty comment up there on this thread. we dont know bro, its a wierd problem that doesnt make sense. But the active issue here is : Dont get all chapped about it.

Honda forum? Please. If you dont want the occasional "juvenille" answers, then stick with the guys at your local dealership sir. There were several posts that posed some possible answers for you... but go ahead and burn bridges, i mean.. its a brand new week to not make friends i guess.

I cant STAND posts like that. Sorry to vent but man.. cant stand it. Alpha dog don't like

UNSUBSCRIBED.
bmccann

First of all , I've been on this Forum for 8 months(Some very knowledgable members) . I was not putting this forum down , just some of the juvenile members . Guess I was taught , that if you don't have an educated opinion to the topic at hand , than don't reply and move on . I said if I wanted juvenile answers , I would of asked on a Honda forum . I think that is saying this forum is much better than a Honda forum , wouldn't you agree ? Not trying to burn any bridges , just trying to solve the noise problem in my Z .

Last edited by TURBOROADSTER; 03-08-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:52 AM
MKZ33

Originally Posted by bmccann101
hey turboroadster..

UNSUBSCRIBED.

Honestly Turboroadster judging from your lack of car knowledge and the fact that you are posting up asking for our help in to your issue. I would think you would be a little more humble to a little criticism that may come your way here... it's all done in good fun.

Others, including myself have given you plenty of ideas and options for you to consider unto resolving your issues, go by all means take those ideas and
Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 AM
TURBOROADSTER

Originally Posted by Mcutali
Thanks for replying ,but it's not a brake booster leak . I know what a brake booster leaking sounds like . To give you an example of how loud it is . Every stand up (vertical) air compressor has a drain plug in the bottom of the tank , for draining condensation(Water) . Throw a 60-80 gallon compressor in your Z , after you have let it build to 120-150 psi . Now remove that drain plug , It's that loud . If I had the radio up to full volume , I dought I could hear it when this happens . I thought the sound was coming from the engine bay , but when I drove it today , it is in the dash somwhere . Probably why it's so loud inside the car . I'm thinking now it has something to do with the climate controls , as I removed them a couple weeks ago to install a new radio .

Last edited by TURBOROADSTER; 03-08-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:11 AM
TURBOROADSTER

Originally Posted by MKZ33

Honestly Turboroadster judging from your lack of car knowledge and the fact that you are posting up asking for our help in to your issue. I would think you would be a little more humble to a little criticism that may come your way here... it's all done in good fun.

Others, including myself have given you plenty of ideas and options for you to consider unto resolving your issues, go by all means take those ideas and
Lack of car knowledge ? Are you serious ? . Let me ask you this , if your car let off an air escape sound that was in the 115-120 DB range in volume and lasts for 5-7 seconds , what would you say it is ? It is not the brake booster , it is not the BOV or wastegate , AC . I already checked all those out before even posting my problem . I was hoping someone elses Z made this noise , and they would know what caused it . . I have never heard this sound before in 30 years of driving .
Old 03-08-2011, 09:25 AM
MKZ33

Originally Posted by TURBOROADSTER
Lack of car knowledge ? Are you serious ? . Let me ask you this , if your car let off an air escape sound that was in the 115-120 DB range in volume and lasts for 5-7 seconds , what would you say it is ? It is not the brake booster , it is not the BOV or wastegate , AC . I already checked all those out before even posting my problem . I was hoping someone elses Z made this noise , and they would know what caused it . . I have never heard this sound before in 30 years of driving .
Oh i'm sorry... if you are so knowledgeable as to what the problem may or may not be then by all means, figure it out yourself.

You obviously don't need our help...

UNSUBSCRIBED
Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 AM
TURBOROADSTER

Oh i'm sorry... if you are so knowledgeable as to what the problem may or may not be then by all means, figure it out yourself.

You obviously don't need our help...

UNSUBSCRIBED
I guess not , Isn't it past your bedtime ?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:24 AM
MKZ33

By some of the responses I've received , this is exactly why I was hesitant to ask questions on this forum . I thought 350Z owners would be more mature.If I wanted juvenile answers , I would of asked on a Honda forum . I realize now that every forum has them , but Thanks anyway to those members that actually replied with educated answers .
Very mature response... maybe you do belong in the quote on quote Honda forums with your again previously mentioned juvenile answers.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:37 AM
SSNOS

Heat soak from your brakes are causing the hydraulic lugnuts to vent.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:16 AM
TURBOROADSTER

Very mature response... maybe you do belong in the quote on quote Honda forums with your again previously mentioned juvenile answers.
Why would you question my car knowledge without knowing me or what I do or have done ? Everyone runs into something sometimes that they have never seen or heard . Heck it happens to the service techs at every dealership everyday . Guys that do it for a living . Haven't you ever heard a friend or family member say the shop can't find the problem or figure out whats causing it . I mean really , some of the answers i got were amazing . Have you ever heard a Bov release pressure for 5-7 full seconds , I didn't think so . Did you ever hear a brake booster leak loud enough to drown out a radio tuned all the way up ? I didn't think so . Yet you wan't to question my knowledge .
Old 03-08-2011, 01:01 PM
SSNOS

Why would you question my car knowledge without knowing me or what I do or have done ? Everyone runs into something sometimes that they have never seen or heard . Heck it happens to the service techs at every dealership everyday . Guys that do it for a living . Haven't you ever heard a friend or family member say the shop can't find the problem or figure out whats causing it . I mean really , some of the answers i got were amazing . Have you ever heard a Bov release pressure for 5-7 full seconds , I didn't think so . Did you ever hear a brake booster leak loud enough to drown out a radio tuned all the way up ? I didn't think so . Yet you wan't to question my knowledge .

Wow, you're a complete unappreciative turd, people are just trying to help out. Well at least some

You need a time out. Go sit in the corner for 5 and then come back...with a new attitude.

Last edited by SSNOS; 03-08-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Mcutali

Default damn guy

thats some loud **** then, i got a 20 gal and know the drain sound.. valve cover hoses are all attached? front hose that connects both valve covers to pcv?, driver side back of valve cover? if not tho id think you would have other issues. i was thinking brake booster but obvious its not 110 dbs worth of air escaping. good luck
Old 03-08-2011, 05:59 PM
christol

Been a licenced tech for longer than I want to admit. The only thing in the dash area that can make a sound that loud would be the AC evap or the connections to it. And if that were the case, you would see the fog of the R134 for a bit (and as pointed out earlier, an oily residue in the vent outlets). Are you sure the sound isn't travelling from the engine bay - if it is as loud as you say, it's easy to get fooled as to the source. The AC compressor does have a relief valve built in that is noisy as hell if someone has overcharged the system or there is a restriction in the high side. It bleeds off the pressure in a short burst and is loud. But again, there is a fog for a short time but you may not have seen it at 25 mph.

And if someone makes a joke or 2, have a chuckle and move on. Life's a lot easier that way.....
Old 03-08-2011, 10:56 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have the AC turned on when you're hearing the noise?

I had dismissed the air conditioner entirely. Since you've just taken the car out of winter storage, it's probably not hot enough to need it. Once it had vented the Freon, the noise wouldn't repeat, would it?
Old 03-09-2011, 03:09 AM
TURBOROADSTER

Originally Posted by winchman
Do you have the AC turned on when you're hearing the noise?

I had dismissed the air conditioner entirely. Since you've just taken the car out of winter storage, it's probably not hot enough to need it. Once it had vented the Freon, the noise wouldn't repeat, would it?
I turned the AC and heat off and it still made the noise . I do believe that it has something to do with the HVAC .
Old 03-09-2011, 03:14 AM
TURBOROADSTER

Originally Posted by christol
Been a licenced tech for longer than I want to admit. The only thing in the dash area that can make a sound that loud would be the AC evap or the connections to it. And if that were the case, you would see the fog of the R134 for a bit (and as pointed out earlier, an oily residue in the vent outlets). Are you sure the sound isn't travelling from the engine bay - if it is as loud as you say, it's easy to get fooled as to the source. The AC compressor does have a relief valve built in that is noisy as hell if someone has overcharged the system or there is a restriction in the high side. It bleeds off the pressure in a short burst and is loud. But again, there is a fog for a short time but you may not have seen it at 25 mph.

And if someone makes a joke or 2, have a chuckle and move on. Life's a lot easier that way.....
Ever run into a problem that totally stumped you ? Then had someone say ,"Judging by the lack of your car knowledge" . But your right , i'll just move on next time .

Quick Reply: Loud air escaping noise