Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 08:01 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: One more repetitious opinion

Originally posted by Jim Jones
Generally speaking, engine braking is not wise. It puts stress on your engine and gearbox. If you need to stop, step on the brakes. That is what they are there for. Replacing brake pads is a lot cheaper than rebuilding engines and gearboxes.

As for the flywheel, just recognize that this mod will affect driveability. But I like mine and am glad I got it.
right,

understand that I am not saying to always engine brake, but while every day driving, your car is in gear, going down a hill you might lift your foot off the gas, rather then your car coasting at a constant speed your car will slow down slightly. you will find your self using more gas because you are always on the throttle.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:02 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

oh boy here we go again

If there is "more" stress on anything drivetrain related its when the car is accelerating, not decelerating......getting a 3000 lb object to accelerate and move takes alot more work than slowing it down.....natural physics will eventually slow it to a complete stop.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:22 AM
mcduck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Potato Said...
There is something simple called real world experience that is directly conflicting what you are reading about the engine braking with a lighter flywheel.
Yes, but unlike the world of the Matrix, the real world is based on the laws of Physics which, though sometimes are revised with better definitions, are not breakable and in most case not even bendable. In the case of the laws of inertia and energy, they are well established and not subject to revision any time soon.

So, I have to agree with Jason's description of what's happening. What is happening with your car may not be the same, but if it is not, that is because there are more factors than just the flywheel to be considered.

All other factors equal, the law of rotational mass and inertia dictate that the engine would both spool up faster and spool down faster with a lighter flywheel.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:47 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by mcduck
Potato Said...

Yes, but unlike the world of the Matrix, the real world is based on the laws of Physics which, though sometimes are revised with better definitions, are not breakable and in most case not even bendable. In the case of the laws of inertia and energy, they are well established and not subject to revision any time soon.

So, I have to agree with Jason's description of what's happening. What is happening with your car may not be the same, but if it is not, that is because there are more factors than just the flywheel to be considered.

All other factors equal, the law of rotational mass and inertia dictate that the engine would both spool up faster and spool down faster with a lighter flywheel.
Believe me I am not arguing physics. I am however arguing that he cannot possible KNOW what is happening inside my car because he has a couple links to post. I am arguing that he also may not understand what he is copy and pasting. I like Jason. I think it is awesome that he and Jeff and his dealership are out to help the community. However, until someone drives my car right after they drive their own, this matter will not be resovled.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:50 AM
Sosa

Default cool stuff but...

who sells the jun flywheel?
Old 12-03-2003, 09:55 AM
stx

I bought mine from SGP Racing. I paid around $440 shipped.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:56 AM
FLY BY Z

www.sgpracing.com
Old 12-03-2003, 10:51 AM
Dom

wow, SGP Racing has the OS Giken clutch kit!
That's a fine piece. Would like to know the weight of the Alu one.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:48 PM
boxsterkiller

I threw in the Nismo flywheel in it work greats with the Nismo CAI. It is made by Exedy and I'm getting the Nismo clutch when I get the Nismo headers, exhaust random tech hi-flow cats and Nismo cams in. The clutch is probably also made by Exedy. Anyways if anything keep it all JDM.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:46 PM
CluelessZ

If you guys are done going back and forth on the laws of physics and the real world events taking place in Potato's car, can we get back to which flywheel is best.

Consider for a moment that someone wants a 14lb flywheel......OK, now that this is established, why would anyone choose anything other than the JUN flywheel??

The JUN flywheel is 1 piece, made of chromoly, and still only costs about $400 bucks.

The advantages of this over the JWT seem to be pretty large:
1. Cromoly is much stronger than aluminum
2. It can be resurfaced
3. Its a 1 piece unit, so its not as susceptible to warping.

If both flywheels cost about the same, and weigh the same, why would anyone want the JWT over the JUN???
Old 12-28-2003, 07:42 PM
350ed
Professional

The JWT allows using the JWT/RPS 300zx clutches. The Jun probably doesn't?
Also you can go below for a JWT flywheel review which backs up the better deaccelleration claims.
http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/october03/350z_fly/

Last edited by 350ed; 12-28-2003 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:02 PM
FLY BY Z

My car was driven and my experience has been confirmed. So whatever you guys want to believe is fine with me. No engine braking, no giant increase in rev speed. I will agree that with the clutch in the revs come right down and don't float at all. With the clutch engaged in any gear, they come down just like stock and the car does not have any extra braking characteristic. That NPM article is BS.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:56 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JUN

Here is my thread on the Jun Flywheel, with pics of stock and Jun. I choose JUN because it was one piece

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....t=jun+flywheel

Later
Aceman
Old 12-29-2003, 09:13 AM
RIVET

Default I've seen A LOT of crappy drivers who race.

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
Ok this has become worthless. Please stop regurgitating what you have read on the web or wherever and LISTEN!!!! Damn it man. I RACE CARS!
Racing does not mean you can drive or know s**t about cars, it means you have enough money to go race, which in this day and age is really all it takes to be a "race car" driver.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:30 AM
FLY BY Z

Default Re: I've seen A LOT of crappy drivers who race.

Originally posted by RIVET
Racing does not mean you can drive or know s**t about cars, it means you have enough money to go race, which in this day and age is really all it takes to be a "race car" driver.
Maybe if you are a professional driver which I am not. We have to do all our own engine building, car building, suspension tuning, etc. Is there a point to your post or you are just the type to bring up old crap just to make a post? That statement was part of an old debate and was just thrown out for good measure not for anyone's approval, but obviously that is something you are in need of. You come out of left field. And if you need links to validate my "race car driver" claims, I can provide those to you by PM. Don't stir up things you know absolutley nothing about.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:01 PM
RIVET

Originally posted by CluelessZ
If you guys are done going back and forth on the laws of physics and the real world events taking place in Potato's car, can we get back to which flywheel is best.

Consider for a moment that someone wants a 14lb flywheel......OK, now that this is established, why would anyone choose anything other than the JUN flywheel??

The JUN flywheel is 1 piece, made of chromoly, and still only costs about $400 bucks.

The advantages of this over the JWT seem to be pretty large:
1. Cromoly is much stronger than aluminum
2. It can be resurfaced

If both flywheels cost about the same, and weigh the same, why would anyone want the JWT over the JUN???
Not really correct.

"1. Cromoly is much stronger than aluminum "

While most steels (Fe) do have higher yield and tensile numbers than aluminum( I'm being very broad here as both materials have alloys that produce amazing numbers but are cost prohibitive.) they also have a much higher density number. To create a competeive weight flywheel quite a bit of material has to be removed from the steel type negating steels higher numbers.)

2. It can be resurfaced.

To a point, just like a brake rotor there is a time where you have to toss it. With almost every aluminum flywheel I've seen you can have the iron clutch surface insert replaced for a fee from the manufacturer....for the life of the flywheel.

Just the opposite, being steel( not a very good heat sink which by the way aluminum is excellent at which is why most heatsinks are........well aluminum) and one piece makes it more susceptible to warping because of it's larger uninterupted susrface area.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:47 PM
CluelessZ

Default Rivet ----POST MORE

Rivet,

Thanks for the carefully thought out post. You applied some reasoning to your post, which I appreciate.

I'm surprised you don't post more, as you obviously can provide some knowledge and value to this forum.

Regarding your items #1 and #2, I agree.
1. Yes, ALuminum is much lighter than Fe, so to maintain an equal weight as the JWT flywheel, they obviously had to reduce the Mass/thickness of the JUN compared to the JWT.

2. I agree. With the LABOR involved, if your tranny is currently out, you might as well just put a new one in!

3. Did not realize a 1 piece would be more susceptible to warping. Learn something new everyday.