Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New 350Z owners, read this before doing any modifications to your Z.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 04:36 PM
philmynutz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good post, keeps everything within limit of what you should do, any more and you may be on your own
Old 09-29-2010, 07:19 PM
PolePosition

cool, but how about an update? There are some universal truths in the original posts, but we are in 2010 and many mods have been proved/approved/disproved or simply turned out to suck...
other than that, great post...
Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 PM
DumpInfo

After years and years that this thread was created I want to thank you Jeff and well as all the other helpful threads created on forum.

DumpInfo
Old 03-20-2011, 04:22 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DumpInfo
After years and years that this thread was created I want to thank you Jeff and well as all the other helpful threads created on forum.

DumpInfo
Thanks, I appreciate that!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:08 PM
dvsone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic post and much appreciated for the time and research it took!
Old 07-17-2011, 03:07 PM
brent55

thanks man this really helps just got my z in april and waiting for borla exhaust to come in thanks again
Old 08-04-2011, 04:28 PM
dvsone

Originally Posted by zland

Tires: The most common tire size upgrade is to a 245 ft tire and 275 rears. Notice the rears are larger than the front to maintain the understeer/oversteer issue. Your stock wheels will not accommodate this big of a tire thus read up on what size wheel works for the tires you want to put on your car. I strongly suggest you use this website http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html This site will tell you how much difference there is between your stock tire and tire you desire. If you increase or decrease your tire size over 3% of stock size (in outsize rolling diameter) it will affect your ABS braking system and VDC. Simply put, your car will sense the back wheels are rotating too quickly for example and the ECU will think you are spinning your tires/losing traction which will possibly cause your car to brake or cut off the throttle. I recommend you keep the margin within 1.5%. I went with larger tires, 265 fronts and 295 rears. This is not as wise a choice for performance if you plan on maintaining the stock motor however if you plan on adding at least 100 hp, it might be something to consider. You need to be careful going with this large a tire combination. Your wheel offset must be just right or your tires will rub against the fenders. Mine don’t but I did my homework.
This information right here is GOLD to me especially since I am looking into some Volk's or some kind of 18" wheels similar. Thanks again!
The following users liked this post:
zland (01-09-2024)
Old 10-30-2011, 02:24 PM
espadinha4

Thanks for all the great info made me stop for a bit and write down what i plan on doing with my z. I have a 2005 350z 35th ann. edition with about 105k. I want to stay n/a but what can i add besides the intake exhaust and plenum spacer and all the bolt on stuff? i was thinking cams but wasnt really sure if it would be a good idea. Its not to beat the random car besides me but its for myself i just ike the power and its feeling.

Any opinions would be much appreciated. i want to get some advice before i start working on my car. I have been running stock for the last two years.

Thanks

Originally Posted by zland
After reading and posting on this site for over a year, I think I can make some suggestions to new Z owners that will help them before they begin to modify their 350 Z’s. I believe that if you follow some of these suggestions, you will reach your goals in modifying your Z with less frustration.

1. Define your goal. Are you simply trying to make your car look nicer, building it for street racing, drag racing, autoX, track, or a show car. Maybe it is a combination of more than just one of these, if so, be sure which one is more important because they may conflict each other.

2. Set your budget. You could easily spend in excess of $25, 000 on mods if you went with upgraded suspension, wheels and tires, and a Twin Turbo alone. Someone recently asked himself why he was spending so much money on modifying his 350Z when he could have purchase a Z06 Vette that will out perform his Z and the Vette would still have the factory warranty. Know what you want to achieve and how much you are willing to spend before beginning to modify your car.

3. Determine if you are willing to void your warranty from Nissan. Many suspension mods void anything related to suspension so if you spend $2000 on coilover suspension, be ready to accept that Nissan will not fix your tire feathering problems found on many 350Z after 5000 miles with anything but stock or NISMO S suspension.

4. Determine how much of a risk taker you are. A lot of people would love to have 500hp but how concerned are you about reliability. Your car has been designed stock to provide good performance with reliability. Nissan told their engineers to design the 350Z motor to last 200,000 miles. As a general rule, the more hp, the less reliability although some would argue that fact.

5. How long will you keep your 350Z? In many cases, most modifications do not bring higher resale and in many situations depreciate the cars value. I have already seen several nice 350Z’s with modifications of over $10,000 and then be sold off for parts bringing penny’s on a dollar due to people selling their 350Z months after modifying it. Ask yourself how long you plan to keep a 2 seater sports car. For most young couples, when the baby comes, the 350Z goes.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:09 AM
warrior07

Great reading!! Thanks for the post!!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:35 PM
IvanBroce

Thank you Jeff for such an insightful posting on the 350Z fans' Phylosophy. It is much appreciated and BTW, congrats on your new job! I was originally bound towards purchasing a Porsche Cayman, but destiny --and my wife-- veered me towards my 2008 305Z Roadster, and I am very happy the way everything worked out. I must say that I was very impressed w/ the Z, especially after hitting 155 mph on our first road trip .

However, I am now trying to figure out: 1) Recommended all-season tires (Original summer tires B.F. Goodrich G-Force - Front: 245/35ZR19 93Y; Rear: 275/35ZR19 96Y). I leave in Denver, CO & the Z is my commuter car. So, unfortunately, I cannot baby it & leave it in the garage; 2) Does the GTE Performance Chip (at: PerformanceChipTuning.com) really work on a Z? That particular chip came as rated #1 by an independent organization; 3) Where to get a replacement soft top & approx. how much should I expect to pay for installation? I am very handy w/ some auto repairs, but I have never changed a soft top.

Thanks,

Ivan
Old 05-12-2016, 07:42 AM
Rolilas

Well, 13 years have passed since you Sir wrote this but its still very usefull ! Plan on buying a 350z at the end of the year, i like them more than the 370z, and I though that until then I get as much information as I can about the car + mods. This article surely helped add a brick to my wall of knowledge. Thank you !
The following users liked this post:
zland (01-09-2024)
Old 02-14-2023, 12:09 PM
Theslug

Default Thank you

I just wanted to say thanks as well. Nicely done, you covered a lot of important points. I too agree that the most important mod should be yourself as a driver. You can spend 10s of thousands of dollars making your car look better and go faster, but in the end it means nothing when you wrap it around a tree because you have no clue how to drive it. I've done more than my share of vehicle recoveries and been the one unsticking them from trees so that fire fighters can remove the bodies... Be safe everyone
Old 02-15-2023, 06:46 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by Theslug
I just wanted to say thanks as well. Nicely done, you covered a lot of important points. I too agree that the most important mod should be yourself as a driver. You can spend 10s of thousands of dollars making your car look better and go faster, but in the end it means nothing when you wrap it around a tree because you have no clue how to drive it. I've done more than my share of vehicle recoveries and been the one unsticking them from trees so that fire fighters can remove the bodies... Be safe everyone
I'm curious what you were searching for that caused you to revive an 8 year old thread.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:57 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,061 Likes on 749 Posts

To his credit, this was his first post and at least he bumped a very old, but very useful, thread instead of creating a new thread about financing a 15 year old car with a shoestring budget and trying make 400hp at the wheels with bolt-ons or going fleabay turbo and expecting reliability. lol.
Old 02-15-2023, 10:53 AM
Theslug

Originally Posted by i8acobra
I'm curious what you were searching for that caused you to revive an 8 year old thread.
I just bought a 350z and joined recently. No other real reason other than show people are still reading old threads. Sorry if replying to it was a bad idea. Just showing my appreciation.
Old 02-15-2023, 10:57 AM
Heel Til I Die

Originally Posted by Theslug
I just bought a 350z and joined recently. No other real reason other than show people are still reading old threads. Sorry if replying to it was a bad idea. Just showing my appreciation.
Congrats on the purchase! Post up a pic or two in the New Owners section.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:17 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by i8acobra
lt has been years since l posted this article. Afterwards, l wrote for Sports Z magazine which eventually went out of publication unfortunately. Let's face it, the internet pretty much killed the magazine business.

What saddens me is l cannot find the numerous articles l wrote for the Magazine online and feel like some of my better work has been lost.

l am now retired, live in Bali, onto doing different things. I am still involved in surfing and related to that, shoot surfing videos. If interested, check out my YouTube channel "Bali Surf Hunters" and drop me a line. Another passion of mine is architecture, did it and taught it for 31 years. Now, l am finishing up my own house in Bali.

Thanks again for all the positive replies over the years, l appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Jeff Wisener
Old 01-09-2024, 01:59 PM
Heel Til I Die

OP returns to his thread after two decades!